Spring 2010 FOOD THREAD

Columbus, OH

LOL...maybe I'll make some of both. DH will approve.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

TRAITOR! LOL!

Columbus, OH

I'm just indecisive where food is concerned. DH will attest to this.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

We will appreciate both...won't we Ric???????

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Food question: I was going to bring sliced deli ham and turkey and buns. Since several people are bringing chicken, should I just bring ham and skip the turkey?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes Marcy we will appreciate them both!

You call Candy. The chicken will probably be on the bone so....

I picked up Mustard, K'up and Mayo and some Table Cloths and forks.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I know I'd eat some of both!!!!

Looks like Bertie may be bailing on us...her daughter and grandson who live in KY are coming tonight and staying until Sunday. She said she gets such little time with them, she hates to abandon them for the RU. I'll suggest she bring them, (at least her daughter, her GS would be bored stiff), but she'll probably say no....

Candy, we always have sooooo much food...I wouldn't worry about bringing both....now if someone wants to bring watermelon..... ;o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I can bring watermelon
or was you just joking lol

Pauletta

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Nope...not joking...love it!

Candy fed us watermelon in Reynoldsburg when we were there....trouble is Ric and Robyn didn't eat any so Candy and I had to eat it...and we DID!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I love it too.
I will try to find a good one...
Pauletta

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh goody...

Think I'll bring caramels and corn. Not together though..... ;o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I love Carmel Corn!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Joyce, when you said you'd eat both were you talking about the deli ham/turkey or Celene's salads? Or all of the above? LOL

These are the guidelines I use to pick a good watermelon and so far this year I am batting a thousand...

1. Make sure there is a creamy/yellow area where it was on the ground.
2. The stem end needs to be brown, not green - means it ripened on the vine.
3. The rind should be dull, not shiny.
4. It should be very heavy for its size.

I think seeded watermelons have better flavor and texture than the seedless, but so far this year all I have found are seedless ones and they have been goooooood! All 4 of them!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I was telling you to only bring one, Candy, cause we have so much food. The both was for Celene's salads!

Too bad Ric....you'll have to take a spoonful of corn and a bite of caramel to get your caramel corn this time!

Columbus, OH

I will make caramel corn for the Fall RU.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yea! Carmel Corn!
See Joyce CELENE takes care of me..... lol!

I don't eat watermelon but it was easy to see, by how fast it disappeared, that Candy knows how to pick them!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

What about drinks? I have a gallon of lemonade that I didn't use for my reunion..can bring that.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

I am bringing a couple of 12 pack of pepsi. One regular and one diet.
Geo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll bring iced tea, maybe some orange & lemon drink, ice, & either dessert or a pasta salad. I was thinking about making this chocolate pecan pie --- tho" we do seem to be pretty strong in the dessert section. Hmmmm....
Pat

Columbus, OH

Can someone do me a favor, if you bring blueberries, let me know. I don't want to be one of "those" people, I just have a super-serious allergy. I can be in the room with them, I can be near them, but shouldn't touch them and definitely shouldn't eat them.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm really getting excited now!

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

mmmmm!!! chocolate pecan pie!!

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

We are driving to Dayton tomorrow and stay with relatives so we do not have a long drive Saturday.

I have made cookies and will bring something else too. Not sure what yet.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Did someone say cookies????????? ^_^

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I will be bringing some drinks, and I may make some kind of hot casserole. Maybe macaroni & cheese, greenbean casserole, fresh yellow squash casserole, broccoli. Somebody chime in and tell me their favorite.

Did anybody volunteer to bring the foil, plastic wrap and baggies. If not I can do that.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mac & Che for me Bonnie!
We will need I think the wrap and foil, etc.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Fresh yellow squash sounds good too!!! I just planted mine!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Will do both. I got the foil and plastic wrap and baggies.

Columbus, OH

Well hey...if you feel like mac and cheese... :)

Columbus, OH

Since daylily_OH is not coming, should I bring plates and napkins? Any preferences of what kind?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We have plates, cups and plasticware left from last year. We don't have napkins though.

Columbus, OH

I'll get a pack of napkins, DH is going to Costco today anyhow.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm still battling this cold so I'm alternating being in bed with digging up plants.....between thunderstorms! I don't know if I will be well enough to come tomorrow, but I know for sure I won't be going to the grocery store today so I won't be able to bring the ham/buns/olives/pickles. But I doubt you all will starve..... LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I promise you, Candy, we won't miss it. Just hope you're up to coming in the morning.

Columbus, OH

The baked beans were great...any chance of getting the recipe? The chocolate pecan pie was good, but that recipe would be dangerous. Esther's cookies, too!! And the caramels...swoon!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Celene....they taste much better in the Fall..... ;o)

(Zone 5b)

You all cook as seriously as you garden!

Was too busy talking and eating to ask who made the casserole - I think it was yellow squash?? It was delish! I'd love to have the recipe. My DN wants me to get the recipe that had the tater tots on top, she loved it. All the food was soooo good.
What a GREAT time!!!

Annie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, I want the tator tot recipe, too. But I bet your DN asks that you leave the mushrooms out!!!

Bonnie made the squash casserole with squash from her garden, it was awesome!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
I actually hate Tater Tots.
Robyn had this at a Memorial Day picnic and made up her own version.

Tater Tot Pizza Cassarole

Ingredients

* 1 pound ground beef
(Robyn used 2 pounds)
* 1 medium green pepper, chopped
(Robyn used two 1/2" slices red pepper and one of green pepper)
* 1 medium onion, chopped
(Robyn used 1/4 tsp dry onion flakes)
* 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
(Robyn used one can Pizza Sauce)
* 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
(Robyn used 1 pound Fresh)
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
(Not used as it's ion the Pizza Sauce)
* 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
(Robyn added 1 cup Seriously Sharp White Cheddar to the above mozzarella)
* 1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots

Directions

* In a large skillet, cook the beef, peppers, mushrooms and Italian seasoning and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the pizza sauce,
* Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese and potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Rob said THANKS!
Ric

This message was edited Jun 13, 2010 10:01 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.