What's your best mint 'planting' tip(s)?

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

I want a mint garden. Everyone in the family tells me I'll be sorry...but I still want to try nontheless.

I would like to know what's the best way to plant mint to minimize it from spreading and intermingling with the rest of my herbs. I was thinking about doing something above ground however my pocketbook says go cheap.

this is what I got yesterday ( thanks to a lost order from Richters last year) :

chocolate mint, english mint, pineapple mint, vietnamese mint, and spearmint.

Farmington, NM(Zone 5a)

i've heard to keep it from spreading (as much) you can leave it in the pot. above or below ground.

or maybe separate the types so you can keep track of them, and put something that is obviously different like marigold or nasturtium between the minty areas.

but it doesn't spread here, it won't even try unless the ground is kept consistently wet, so those are just things i've heard should work i don't actually know. so far i haven't been able to get any mint to survive a summer and i'd be thrilled to death if it decided to be a ground cover!

SHould I cut the bottom off of the pot off/out or leave it as is?

Farmington, NM(Zone 5a)

not sure. i think the roots can spread and start new shoots after a few years if you remove the bottom. but, if it seems like it will be too small to leave it in the original pot you might put it in a larger one and leave the bottom on. if they start to do poorly after a few years and you think they might be rootbound, you could always remove the pot then and transplant to a larger one.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

I never tried burying pots---but I don't think it's worth the effort. Most mints will find their way out. Especially if you aren't pruning them and watching them carefully. They'll escape.

I think the best way is to grow them in 16" pots. They are easier to harvest this way, too, as it's easy reaching.

If you don't prune them a lot, they'll become large and woody. Then, when they need dividing, you can just dig out the newer shoots and pull out the woody stems and scrape the pot clear of any deep roots that are suckering in there. Then repot the new soft shoots with fresh dirt. If placed in a bed, you may miss those underground shooters!! They travel far, and some varieties grow very quickly. Spearmint is one. I don't know anything about Vietnamese mint. If you don't either, you'd probably want to "test" it in a pot first. Pineapple mint for me was rather tame and slow. That would be one you might want to experiment with in a bed, but it makes a lovely potted plant, too.

Only thing with pots is to make sure they stay moist and divided, else they dry up and lose their flavors.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I was just going to ask this same question. I've been growing mints for years and haven't found a way to keep them contained yet. Of course some mints are sneakier than others. Pineapple mint just won't grow for me, but spearmint will take over my whole yard, no matter how I plant it.

I've tried planting in pots, but the roots come out the holes in the bottom and then infiltrate the area.

So I got some of those brick corner edgers and made a square "box" which I lined with potting soil bags. Then I added soil and planted. That worked best, for a couple of years, but eventually the mints slipped between the cracks where the corner edgers met, so now they've spilled out all over the ground.

I'm now considering making some large concrete troughs and growing each variety in a separate trough. I love the smell of the various flavors, so I hate to give them up, but they have to learn their place in my gardens. Right now, silver mint is trying to consume my yard. It's my least favorite mint and I'm thinking of just ripping it all out and burning it. Ginger, blackberry and spice mints are my favorites so far. And who can live without spearmint and chocolate mint? Gotta have 'em, but I want them where I want them and no where else.

I'll be watching this post for other ideas.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I grow several mints for tea , they each have their own area on the property . This is possible if you have acres of land to play with.
Having said that I also grow mint for a lady in town , to keep it under control I dig and discard the whole plant except a nice start every three years .Let go any longer it will take over and become unmanageable .
Year one it is fine year two I cut a circle around it with a spade and pull all roots outside the circle.
Mulch is bad encourages the roots to run far and fast,

this is something I saw on here and saved for a 'rainy day' ...I hope he/she doesn't mind if I show it here.

Thumbnail by nanniepb

I thought that might be a good way to contain it..for a few years anyhow.

what are some good companion plants? any ideas on that?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I like that setup. Those are nice containers.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a raised bed where the mint, oregano and sage are contained. They haven't run down and out of it (yet).

Thumbnail by dahlianut
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

dahalianut-
Never fear--It will escape and take over your yard.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ROFLOL. shhhhhhhh 5 years and so far so good V. shhhhhhhh

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Maybe in zone 3a it just doesn't have the time to wonder far.^_^

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If I planted any mint in that bed, by year 2, that's ALL that would be in that bed. I can have no companion plants for the mint if planted in ground. It chokes everything out. I even had some planted beside my gravel driveway in a bed. It escaped the bed and travelled thru the driveway. I'm sure zones do make a difference. Our growing season here is 8-10 months long.

This message was edited May 3, 2010 10:42 AM

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I still think the hanging baskets idea was the best one.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

My experience with mint is that it sends out runners just below the surface of the soil and literally starts to 'run'. So, a large sunken pot or flue tile like the ones in the picture above, are best for growing mint. I suppose keeping the flowers cut is a good idea so they won't reseed. Or, do they reseed. Mine doesn't seem to. I have it in a large semi sunken pot and it has stayed put for years but now needs attention, like new soil and dividing. Hate that. It's more fun to plant new.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I guess it depends on your climate as to the mint's habit. I tried the sunken pots and that worked the first year, but the runners escaped thru the drain holes in the bottom of the pots and took off.

I'm going to put some in hanging baskets, like Pagancat suggested, because some really need to be at nose-level to really enjoy them. Others I'll put in big containers and "hide" among my perennials.

I keep mine pruned too so they don't reseed. But if you wanted to try hybridizing and creating new varieties, letting some go to seed could be interesting, but I'll leave it to the pros.

I have greek oregano which I thought would look real nice with the pineapple mint.

(((Pagan)))

i'm not real good with watering the stuff hanging on the porch. when the 'skeeters come out...I stay in, lol. but being at nose level makes sense. I've got the room to keep it separate in diff areas of the yard, but i've had visions of walking around my yard saying, "and this is my mint garden". haha maybe that was a nightmare.

our growing season is not that long. only, the old timers are the ones who have discouraged me. but we have to divide lots of plants every few years, right?

whatever I pick...it needs to be quick. those pots are screaming to be repotted.

thanks all...youve been a big help.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I don't keep my mints separate. I have most of them in the same area. They don't "mix" as far as one cultivar becoming another by association (as some people believe). Each mint stays true to itself. If you do let them go to seed though, you don't know what the seeds will become, possibly an entirely different mint that is crossed between two varieties. I don't let mine seed. If planted too close together, the mints' runners may run into each other's territories, but I don't allow that either.

I potted two of my favorite mints today--ginger and chocolate. They're now hanging in some pretty iron hangers that a friend's husband made years ago. They're just perfect for the rafters of my new pergola. I hope Mother Nature keeps them watered because I hate dragging a hose around. My orange mint should arrive this week, and I'll put it in a hanging pot in one of these iron hangers too. It's another divine fragrance.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

*Very* cool hanger!

Ginger mint? Wow, that sounds great. And orange - does it smell/ taste much better than the pineapple?

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

That is a lovely hanging basket, ButterflyChaser!! I like the idea of hanging baskets for mits, but I like to dry my mints for teas in winter so I like my plants to get as full and as large as a 16" ot can hold. That's a bit big for a hanging basket. Mints do need daily watering in summer when it's warm--they don't like to dry out. I go around with a jug of water when I do the roses, I get the mints, too

Ginger mint--I haven't seen that available yet. There are two types of orange mints that I am aware of--Balsam Orange and Spicy Orange from Debaggio's nursery. I

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Ginger mint is very fragrant--a must-have for mint lovers. Mine gets frequent streaks of yellow the foliage. Maybe you can see the splashes of yellow in this photo. It's very aggressive.

I prefer Orange to Pineapple because the fragrance is stronger. I don't use any of mints in cooking (except spearmint for my tea), so I can't tell you how it tastes.

Firefly, what mints do you use for teas? And can you share some recipes?

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

Butterfly, where do you get your mints? I love the hanger too. and the pergola. HA HA and the fence in the background. I gotta say working with the pineapple mint was fragrant....I can imagine how well the orange would smell.

well, so yesterday evening while I was perusing my only garden center in town, i picked up 4 of those 12" wire hanging baskets with the coconut stuff and planted my mints in those. I had all four on the ground while I was potting/watering and they looked so darn cute like that, I think I'll see if I can't mix the baskets in with my other flowers. then I can pick them up from time to time to see if the roots are trying to escape. but, i paid too much for the pot for it to rust on the ground. i might need to rethink that. (is everyone else as wishy-washy as me?)

One thing is for sure, my tiny, starter size of each plant looks lost now. I may put two to a pot today. I wonder if I could throw some petunias in with them.

last night all of this seemed easy, LOL.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Nanniepb ~ wish I had caught you before you planted. The best way to use those is to line the inside of the coir basket with plastic to help retain moisture. You will have to be a watering fool otherwise but they are pretty. At the point it gets large enough to need lots of water, you might hunt a larger pan to hold water and immerse the whole basket and let it rehydrate.

Butterfly, what size planter does your iron hanger hold?
I guess they could be made to hold any size planter you wanted.

Phoenix, AZ

Podster, I line every hanging basket with plastic and punch a hole or two or three for drainage. Otherwise, they would dry out in five minutes in this heat.

Now, your advice, please. I potted up a pineapple mint, an apple mint and a variegated thyme in a big hanging basket - and hung it inside. It's where it gets bright light so do you think it will do OK indoors?

BC, that's about the prettiest pot hanger I've ever seen! Does he sell those?

I suspect in bright light will be all right. I planted mine in an area where they receive protection from the evening sun and dappled shade the rest of the day. They would probably be more prolific in full sun but this is o.k. by me.

Anyone else?

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

My mints didn't overwinter in the pots in zone 6a. I really want to grow mint. I'll have to try again. Or perhaps keep a pot inside as well as "insurance".

i knew that. what was i thinking? the water does goes straight thru it.

I think since our weather cooled down and they can recoup before it gets warm and sunny that I'll gingerly remove them and line the pots and replant. I dont think it will harm them.

Naw - they're pretty tough plants, really. They should be fine.

Quilts - they are *really* easy to propagate and do well in a sunny window sill (if you are better about remembering to water than I am, lol....)...

This time, I think I will keep the plant in the garden and start cuttings indoors. I have a shelf and paraphernalia to set up a light shelf, but haven't gotten the books and fabric off the shelf, yet. A neighbor moved away and left some glass panes as well. I am toying with putting glass shelves by the window, but the panes are about 2' wide. So far, I am using some to cover the tops of dressers, etc. They were a perfect fit for that.

Tiffany, my Westie, is telling me that lunch is over, time to go back outside.

Columbus, OH

How strange...I can't overwinter mint inside to save my life, but the stuff escapes every pot I've tried and grows into flower beds, other plants, etc.

can you propogate mint with cuttings in water or not?

Podster, I direct sowed the poppy seeds you sent and haven't seen anything, but the
Blue Angelonia, Celosia Spicata,and centrosema virginianum did great. especially the last one. those need to be planted next. =)

actually I got on DG to see if that one is a climber and I want to look up Lady Banks roses.

Morning! did you plant the poppies last fall? I forgot to. They germinate over winter and the foliage starts sprouting here in the spring. Right now the poppy blooms should be finishing up in this zone. Maybe next fall I'll remember. Fall is just too hectic for me to be gardening.

Have you lined your pot yet? Should hurt the mint at all to disturb them.

no. not yet. i didnt have the right kind of plastic and I havent been anywhere to shop. I'm going out after me and the dog gets a bath, lol.

i sowed the poppies after someone told me sprinkled his poppy seeds on the snow and all I remember was it was still winter here. my poppies from last year are just now opening up here.

Columbus, OH

Mint will propagate anywhere, on anything. I can't even compost it--it roots and grows in the compost pile.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL--Celene has summarized Mint propagation very well

I found lemon balm that I started from seed last year. It stayed very tiny, just a few leaves, last summer. I was pleasantly surprised that I came back. I suspect that mint would overwinter for me in the garden whether I grow it in a pot and sink it in the garden or just put it in the garden. I think I'll try pots, first. I will keep an eye on the lemon balm . If it starts spreading rapidly, in a pot it goes!

A friend grows herbs in a checkerboard pattern between paving stones. She sinks black plastic edging pieces between some of the herbs and the stones. It is really attractive, if you have the room.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.