Sales & Great Buys

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Since several folks missed the Home Depot mulch sale, let's start posting here any great buys we see or hear about. We all can't be everywhere all the time so let's help each other.

Just posted a suggestion on how to list the sale. Then if you will come back and edit your post and type ENDED - we will know to keep looking down the list.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2010 8:02 AM

ENDED - Home Depot Began 4-?-2010 Ends 4-4-2010, mulch buy 1 get 1 free (hint you can buy and pickup later).

This message was edited Apr 14, 2010 8:03 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Fort Osage School District is having a plant sale on Saturday April 17th, 2010. It is in the High School Greenhouse from 8am to 1pm.

Powell Gardens is having their plant sale on Saturday May 1rst and Sunday 2nd in the parking lot. Member's preview Friday April 30th. Garden Admisson applies.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2010 9:03 PM

Clinton County Master Gardeners & FFA Plant Sale
May 22nd, 2010
8 to 3pm
at Platte Valley Bank corner of Main & 116 hwy
Perennials
Annuals
Heirloom tomatos

Home Depot Garden Club, join it is free and coupons are emailed periodically.

ENDED -
Offer valid through 4/26/10
Buy one tree, get one free (of equal or lesser value)

$4 off an quart concentrate or Ready-To-Spray concentrate Weed-B-Gon

This message was edited May 13, 2010 12:11 PM

This message was edited May 13, 2010 12:17 PM

Thursdays in the KC Star they have a small listing of plant sales going on in the city if the club or organization has listed with them....Fort Osage is not listed, Pepper so please tell us more.

My post has been edited with the info now.

Ace Hardware has named bulk canna tubers for 89 cents each. The tubers are much larger than what you can buy at the big box of 3 puny tubers in a green bag for $5.

ACK!! I love cannas!! A friend is needeing some so I will pass it along to her.

A tree nursery in Amoret, MO is going out of business so has marked trees down. Get a discount if you buy several.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1698721202.html

Hosta shoots 2 for $1. Willing to trade for heirloom plants.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1698585630.html

http://sutherlands.com
ENDED

April 19th to 25th

Sutherlands is having their sale:
10 inch hanging basket for 4.99
4 pack annuals 89 cents
geraniums 99 cents

This message was edited May 13, 2010 12:15 PM

ENDED -
Home Depot -
has quart perennials, 5 for 10.00 or 2.00 a piece. They had someones favorite (LOL) hen and chicks, ajuga black scallop, Coreopsis tickseed yellow with red center, purple salva, dianthus, speedwell pink, columbine, and more. Just on a rack before you went in the one downtown. Really nice full plants.

Also had primrose for 1.98, I don't know if that is good or not.....

This message was edited May 13, 2010 12:13 PM

Ace Hardware 50 impatiens in a flat for 9.99!!

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

Okay, I can tell this is going to be an expensive thread for my wallet, lol!!!

Expensive indeed!!! Sutherlands has hostas 1 quart for 2.99

ENDED -
Home Depot Ad 4/29 4 days only:
5 for $10.00 while supplies last quart perennials, coreopsis, creeping phlox, saliva, speedwell
5 for $10.00 2cu ft cypress mulch
5.88 gallon roundup ready to use weed & grass killer
98cents 40lb top soil

This message was edited May 13, 2010 12:16 PM

Ok, I just may have to skip PG and go there today. LOL

Baldwin City, KS

Thanks for the info about sales. We don't take the KC Star so we miss some of the great "local" sales.

I love this thread - keep watching it for great deals - like I need more great deals, LOL. Joyce, how are you doing? I planted some EE bulbs - do they take a while to come up? Only two more MG classes to go - woohooooo! I'm loving it! Cynthia

HOME DEPOT - start 5-14-2010

4 inch Seed geraniums 88cents

AAACCCCKKK!!! I want some! Will have to see what day I get off. lol

Gravois Mills, MO

I know a little ditty about buying mulch and bagged stuff from the box stores this time of year. People will puch holes in the bags to get a sample then pick up another bag that is not leaking. There are some bags also that are just plain damaged. About 2 years ago we walked into Lowes and they had piled up all these broken bags. So we ask what they wanted for them and we got a whole ranger full of that stuff for about $25. So watch when your there for something like that.

I have been buying a lot of the bagged mushroom compost this year. It beats the top soil they have hands down and is worth $2 a bag. Have not seen it on sale though

Lkozark~ Thanks for the tips about the mulch as well as the mushroom compost.

rural Hughesville, MO(Zone 5b)

Plant Bargain Time
I checked out Sadalia's Lowes - a 10 cent per container rack for a mongo pine, mostly annuals but a 12 pack of marigolds is my kind of a deal. Some are ragged but I'll give them a chance to bloom.
Most of Manard's plants are 50% off.
Marilyn

HyVee with 1 gal pots of perennials buy 1 get 1 free, 7.99 at the store I stopped at they were in good shape, and a good variety, altho I can't remember now.

My favorite thread, lol! Happgarden, you should see the elephant ears I have planted - coming up all over the place, woohoooo! Even have some planted at my garden in Iowa - can't wait to see how big they get! Cynthia

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I think Lowes will sell dead stuff for dirt cheap, but its dead! lol
They can be pretty shady I think..lol
I don't know if they'd do that dead stuff yet tho. They may have legitimately cheap stuff for sell now! : )
That Winter Lowes was selling the dead stuff for a quarter. I couldn't believe it, so I took my camera up there, it looked like RoseMarie (mostly) they let just die in the cold, see the photo below..lol.

The Home Depot did have potted trees half off (except Japanese Maple 'Bloodgood', and all bulbs were half price I think $3.99, 3 something anyway, I was just there today. I didn't catch the dates.
: )

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi all, its prolly pretty typical of box stores this time of year, but I know The Home Depot has potted plants 1/3rd off the sticker price. My friend's Sister came back with about 20 potted plants yesterday! I asked her, "you mean 1/3 off the price on the plant?"
She said yes. She had 9 Hostas, and it was quite an assortment. I noticed a 'Krossa Regal' Hosta was one of them, I remember thinking that was pretty good for a box store.
I saw her big Butterfly Bush, a Ligustrum,and several big Coral Bells (Heuchera, purple and green) is 3 more I remember seeing.
This was the Independence, MO. store, altho I'm guessing they all are the same.
Sorry, she didn't know any dates.

Gravois Mills, MO

Shortleaf--- Krossa Regal is a commong hosta and most of the time is worth about 4 bucks. Hosta prices are goverend mostly by their rareity more than anything. I remember a few years ago a woman in the hosta forum paying $400 for a single eye of a rare hosta. Its a lot of hog wash as far as I am concerned.

The Coral Bells your sister had was Purple Palace. Those do well in this area, but is not nuts about full sun. They are about one of the most common of the Heuchera(coral bells). If she did not buy that one( I know they had) called Southern Comfort she missed it. That is one of the new breed that was developed in France a few years ago. It is from the Villosa strain of Heuchera and is highly heat and sun resistant. There are not to many available in that are bred from this strain yet. I think we have 4 or 5 types. Southern comfort, Lemon lime. Carmel,Moucha, and Beaujolluis. Trouble with a lot of heuchera is that they were developed from plants and crossed with plants that grow high in the mountain and other places not favorable to our climate. They may look lovely for a year or so then all of a sudden you have a hot humid day and they are dead within a hour. It is hard to tell what ones will do mwell arounfd here you just have to invest in one and see what happens. Just google heuchera villosa on your computer and you will get plenty to read about.

Hi Oz, the Heuchera she got is called 'Plum pudding'. She only got 1 purple Heuchera, the other 2 are green. I'm fairly sure it's getting planted in a real shady spot, it might get a little dappled sun, not much.
Wow, $400 for an eye of Hosta! The most I've ever paid for a single plant is $35, I'm glad I did because 6+ years later it is stunning, I wouldn't take $200 for it now! It is a big Eastern White Pine 'Nana', in the biggest decorative cheap plastic pot that Lowes sells! lol
We need a new thread titled, "Whats your most expensive, best plant (or plants) that you have?!" lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Gravois Mills, MO

She can expect to have problems with Plum Pudding. Rvrn the nurseries around here have trouble keeping it. It is one of those hybreds from mountain plants.

Walmart in Blue Springs has all of their plants on sale except for houseplants. Majority of them are only a dollar and some are 3 and 5 dollars. They are in gallon or bigger pots. Hanging baskets and combos are a bit more and some of the quart or smaller pots are $.50. I don't know if all of the big Walmarts are doing big sales or not but I got some great plants at great prices.

Coneflower- Mereinge
Pentsemon- Prarie Dusk
Monarda- Pink Supreme A neon pink color. They have a darker pink one too that I almost grabbed.
Bleeding Heart
Coreoptsis- Red Shift

All but 2 were a buck each.

Ace hardware is having a 75% off on all plants while Home Depot is having 50% off all shrubs and annual hibiscus.

I never saw your post. Nope. Not going there. LOL.

Pepper~ LOL!!!

I need another climbing rose. I might go to Ace on Monday or Home Depot and see what they have. Gotta be heavily scented and been easily seen from road. LOL. And it's not my fault that I'm going. A former coworker of mine said my Golden Showers wasn't a good choice for me and to get a different one. Happy too!! LOL!!

Well then Pepper...you must go happily and buy another gorgeous rose to be seen from the road! ;0)

Home Depot (downtown kc)
shrubs 75% off - I purchased a kim lilac for $2.00 (small pot)
trees 75% off - except for japanese maple
Japanese Maple - 30.00 to 50.00 nice trees

Same deals at Blue Springs Home Depot. I wanted a Japanese Maple but have no place to put it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.