Woe is me!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I was at Target the other day and was so sad to learn that they are closing all their nurseries on the last day of September, 2010. Target nurseries are my fast food drive byes. I must stop there at least twice a week for my cheap fix. They always have great big 1 gallon full of color pots for $2.99 to $4.99 as well as great 4 inchers. I am so sad.

Are there Targets across the state?

Thumbnail by Kell
Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

That is sad news. I like their garden center. We have Targets here and I've shopped at many all over southern CA. They even have a Super Target in Menifee!

But I get my big fixes at Lowe's. Especially on Mondays when they mark down some sadder looking plants to 75% off!

Cayte

Thumbnail by gr8cayte
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

That's a bummer. I've found some good deals in the Target garden center especially after Smith & Hawken went out of business and the S&H merchandise that Target was selling needed to be moved. I wonder what they'll do with all that space currently being used for the garden centers?

GardenSox, I live in Citrus Heights, and the two Target Stores nearest me no longer have their garden centers. The Birdcage store was remodeled either early last year or in 2008, and they eliminated the garden center; and the one on Madison Ave. near Auburn Blvd. didn't have their garden center open last summer, either. It's too bad, because I found some nice plants at Target in the past for a good price.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

This is upsetting. I go by the target in Albany-Berkeley a couple times a month and have got some great plants and pots there. So sad.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

That is sad news. I love garden centers at Target.
Say, gr8cayte, are you coming to the RU on April 24th? I'm only a couple of miles from that Super Target in Menifee. We'd love to see you.
If it is any consolation to you gr8cayte, Lowe's next to the ST has some good deals too.
WIB,
SW

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Kell is this only in California or everywhere?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Whahhhhh, I got my best deals on structures and accessories in the fall when they were winding down the garden season! Some sales are great from past season as they bring in the new stuff. Last month I picked up a rose arbor for $19.99, that was originally listed for $146 I think.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Whaaahhh! I forgot about those deals!
Glad you got a great deal on the Rose Arbor. I got my bamboo looking fountain that way. It was the very last one too.
Sigh . . .
WIB,
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Singing Wolf I *am* going to be at the RU. And to borrow from the Chocoholics Anonymous thread I'm going to bring DeJong's delicious chocolate milk to appease the chocolate gods. I d-mailed you with a question when you have time. Thanks!

Cayte

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Got your dmail, and hope I answered it. Don't forget to post on the RU thread! : - )
Did someone say Chocolate Milk? LOL!
WIB!
SW

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

You mean you live in Menifee and have never tasted DeJong's chocolate milk? You poor, deprived soul you! We gotta change that!

Cayte

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

The Target near my home closed their Garden Center during the winter. I was able to purchase some great cement pots at a ridiculous price but I felt bad because of the closure. That was one of my weekly stops because I always found something very unusual there. I got a great Bougainvillea tree there for $15.00 because no one would purchase it because it was not blooming. It was originally $59 and I was happy with my price and this is its 3rd year. It is a very tall 4' tree. I am going to take a look today because they have a large ad for spring flowers. They enclosed the garden area so I have not been there. Maybe I am missing something. I will let you know.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm going to check with our local ST and see if they really do plan on closing the garden section, and if so when. Then I'm going to save up some money to get some nice plastic pots that won't melt away in the gh like the clay ones do. You never know, maybe I can get some good deals.
I don't why I've never been to DeJong's, gr8cayte. I have some of their old milk bottles I found here on the farm when I first moved here and started cleaning up the mess. I have heard reports that it is the best. Shame on me, they are just down the road. : - |
WIB,
SW

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sounds like we may need some of that chocolate milk. Chocolate milk and a bag a funions are a favorite snack of mine :o)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been to 3 Targets in the last week. I love their spring selections. And they have had huge gallon cans of my favorite petunias that were new hybrids of 2009. I had already bought small 4 inches at a nursery for $4.99 but at Target I got huge gallon cans for $2.99. Woe is me.

They tell me all are closing across the country. And no more Christmas trees too! They are converting all the space to food. They are going to have lots of fresh produce too. I guess like a super K Mart. Didn't they add big grocery stores too?

He said the garden space was so dead in most areas in winter except for Christmas time.

I am really going to miss them. I wonder who grows their plants for them. They always have such great gallon cans so cheap.

Thumbnail by Kell
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is so sad. I got so much of my garden stuff from them.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ya know, as much as I will miss the Target garden centers, I won't be missing the competition at Christmas time for Christmas Tree sales. That's good news for us! It's really hard to find a silver lining on this cloud. Sigh.
WIB!
SW

Kell, in your nursery jaunts, have you come across any more of ‘Supertunia Pretty Much Picasso’? I have one and would love to find more.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Pretty Sue! I seem to talk to you all over and I appreciate that. LOL

The only place I have seen it and I have been around, is Armstrongs in Dublin. They had huge fat 1 gallons for $4 or $5.

I have a huge one here from last year. It is so big, trailing all over. I love the colors but mine just doesn't open the flowers up much. Does yours?

They do seem to be more cupped, not wide open like the regular petunias.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I am truly not so impressed with that one. The flowers do not even cover the plant as do my lime bicolors. Though I imagine it is only moments till they come out with a full sized bloom petunia in those colors. Which are just so outstanding!

My favorites are the Sophistica Lime Bicolor that have no lime in them. It has such a rich dusky deep deep rose olor and just covers itself in blooms. I am so smitten!!!

Here is an article on new petunias and Pretty Much Picasso. Look at their great picture. I wish mine looked like that. Maybe they need more heat to perform well.
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg09/sg091231.html

Armstrongs has it at $5.99. I went out to look for you. See how big and this one was run over by my husband last night. A bit hostile? LOL

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

PS Did you see where it is going to rain again at the end of the week?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

No, not the end of this week, but on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's not allowed to rain on Friday and Saturday - that's UC Berkeley Botanical Garden's spring sale!

I bet they will do better and open more in the warmer weather.
I'll be in Disneyland Wed.-Sat., possible showers there too. I do hope it rains here so my Mom doesn't have as much to water.
I really need a drip system, it's insane that I never insisted on one but now we are on the go more often and it's a pain having to ask someone, mostly my Mom, to always come & water. She finally broke down and had someone install a sprinkler system on a timer in the front yard a couple of weeks ago. Now she wants to do the back and get a drip for the pots.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 9:13 AM

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

My drip irrigation system has been a real time saver for me. It took me a while to get it all set up and adjusted but it was definitely worth the time and money.

Is this the one you're talking about Kell? Tag just said 'trailing lime bicolor'

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

And my 'Pretty Much Picasso' is actually opening pretty good.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

GardenSox, I didn't know Smith & Hawken went out of business. I know at the 2009 San Francisco Flower and Garden Show everything in their booth was outrageously priced. Way over the top.

Gee Marilyn, another Berkeley Bot sale I cannot go to. I wish you had the member previews on Saturdays. Friday is date night and I much rather spend it with Tom. We so rarely miss one. It is the one night we really enjoy.

Oh GardenSox, I so need a irrigation system. I hand water everything! I have loved the rain all this month. It has been great. Sometimes I wish we had rain in the summer.

Yes Sue, that is the one that I love but I prefer the flowers that have no green but are solid. The dusky deep rose is so perfect and the flower so big. Oddly enough many of my Lime Bicolors have no green at all; they should be called raspberry monocolors. LOL I wonder if those are different. The ones I just bought are mounding not trailing. Though the one that came back from last year may start trailing any minute.

My Pretty Much Picasso have never opened that wide yet!

Don't you love this big rich colored bloom?

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh PS Sue, I bought a new camera today! I finally took the leap to SLR. I was tired of waiting for the swivel LCD screen. Watch them come out with one next month! I may need lessons from you!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Kell, I know you'll miss the members' preview sale on Friday, but you could come on Saturday, couldn't you? There'll still be a lot of plants for sale.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Marilyn, maybe I will. You know I am such a sucker for plant sales. But I always spend too much money at the Berkeley Bot ones and I am so broke. I have been so carried away because it is SPRING! I need to reign it in a lot. Oddly enough my husband is not as enamored with all my new plants as I am. I wish money grew on trees.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope to see you there! You need to save some of your spring enthusiasm for the Berkeley Bot sale. LOL!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.