Kiwi question

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

I have been trying for years to get my kiwi's to produce fruit. After buying two plants I discovered after a year that I had purchased two males. I ordered a female which didn't flower (neither did the males) the following year (year 3) so I ordered a another variety of female for the following year (year 4). So last year (year 4) both females flowered but about 3-4 weeks before the males and the female flowers were long gone by he time there was any pollen. This year it looks like the same pattern.

I have a strange request...does anyone have male kiwis that will be blooming soon that would be willing to share male flowers? I'll be happy to pay the postage or send a SASE. I'll do the pollinating by hand. I'm not sure where to post this request so I'll try some of the other forums as well. Thanks loads.

Greensburg, PA

Escubed, Sorry, I know what your are going through. I have had kiwi vines for nearly 10 years now but get few flowers. My male has never flowered. That is why I have switched my emphasis to growing Issai, which is self-fertile and promiscuous.

One thing to check is to make sure that your males and females are the same species. For example, if your females are argutas and your male is a kolomikta, you might expect to see flowering at different times. Just a thought...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.