Daffodils are Blooming

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry, I realize that the name is supposed to be 'Pink' Charm ~ I was confusing the name with another one that looks very similar ~ Spring Pride. Here is a picture of the same Pink Charm I posted above, but last year after they had been open a few days.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Pink Charm is such a great performer- I love it! I have some in quite a bit of shade and they tolerate it very well, better than several other varieties.

That's good to know! Maybe I can get some more for my butterfly garden then! Last fall's plantings were mostly experiments with the different varieties claiming to be naturalizers and fragrant. So far I have not been impressed by any of their fragrance You have to stick your nose in them to smell anything. At least the Hyacinths are blooming and smell wonderful! I think it is best to not have any other fragrance competing with them! :)
The dafs in the butterfly garden aren't any where near as far along or as florifous as their sisters and brothers that are getting more sun. The ones along the fence border get a lot and so do the ones in the new roadside garden. The walkway garden probably only gets part sun.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2010 2:07 PM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

For fragrance, I love 'Geranium' and 'Thalia'. I've heard that 'Thalia' doesn't perform very well up north, but I believe 'Geranium' is quite tough. It naturalizes well here, even through sod. They both typically bloom after Hyacinths are finished, so they provide the next wave of fragrance. 'Geranium' is also quite photogenic!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

The Geranium are so cute! I was thinking of trying those, maybe this year. I planted some Thalia, but I believe what you've heard, that they might not be great for here. They seem to be having a hard time even sending up foliage so far.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So when will DH be arriving? I'll meet his bus!! Ask him to bring along some of that lovely rock.

Well, in any case, your bulb garden is lovely and you have the touch! (and so does Gem, of course).

Just went out and dead-headed most of my daffs~~our season is about 75 percent finished. Just my very late bloomers~~Cheerfulness, both yellow and white versions, Acropolis, and the Salome/Pink Charms are the main bloomers right now.

And I went out today with some MG for roses and zapped my hyacinths for good measure for next year.

And BTW we had our first Hummingbird of the season at our deck feeders this afternoon. So I know spring is officially here.

Wow! Your solucky to have hummers! I can't wait, the earliest I've seen them is Mother's Day weekend. Everything seems earlier this year, so maybe they will come a little earlier for once.
Lol Dh isn't taking the bus he's in a dump truck, full of wonderful rocks!
Your Dafs must look so pretty, do you have any pictures?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

tabasco, I have the same 3 daffs blooming ... Cheerfulness, Acropolis, and the Salome/Pink Charms. I have a ton of the pink charms, they really multiply for me.

Any pics? Lol :)

I went out in between sprinkles and snapped a few more pictures.

White Lion

Thumbnail by Meredith79

'Pink' Charm Lol
They are all open now and the rim is a bit more noticeable. They are still heavily nodding from all the rain.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

An 'Obdam' has been trying toopen in the rain. I'll post it so you can see how it looks barely open. :)

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Here are my Passionale. If someone wants pink cups, don't get these, they are not very pink for me.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Again they are nodding from the three days of rain, here's a closer up picture.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by Meredith79

A Brown Sugar Tulip coloring up. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Why should I take pics?? Yours are so pretty they do just fine for me! (-:

Love that brown sugar tulip with the daffs.

Yes, my pink charms are breeding like rabbits and taking over my spring bed in front of the house. So are my Short Bearded Iris.

The yard looks like a Victorian wedding cake with all the frilly flowers blooming and the shrubs, crabapples and red bud trees too. I'm a little embarrassed since we live in a rather staid neighborhood and everyone has very polished green landscapes. Oh, well. It's either feast or famine in my garden!

Well I love your gardens when ever you show them! And I don't think I've ever been graced with spring views! It sounds gorgeous! : )
I was thinking of trying Acropilis do you like it?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.whiteflowerfarm.com/140221a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/140221-product.html&usg=__mcMJxu4rKs6oJ0sSPHjsRxpuYmk=&h=375&w=425&sz=41&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BQfL1ux7qt6JdM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddaffodil%2Bacropolis%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26tbs%3Disch:1

Yes, I do love the Acropolis especially since it blooms late along with my azaleas and some short bearded irises. An unusual combination. I bet they would do well in your climate since they probably won't 'bolt' from too much heat, which happens here at times.
It doesn't expecially multiply for me, but I'm giving them a dose of fertilizer this year in hopes that they might next.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

My Acropolis multiply at a medium rate. They were my first daff. other than King Alfred and I still love them. They do fine here Meredith, so they should do fine for you too.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't have a name for this one, but it is one of my fav's. If anyone has an idea, I would love to know.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals

Thanks! I am not sure what that one is. It looks like a double Ice Follies! It is very pretty! :)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think Meredith is right on that daff toofew, I think its 'Ice King'

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

You guys are too smart. I looked up Ice King and you are right!!!!
I'm so happy to have a name for it ... doing the happy dance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.