Weather damaged queen palm

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello, we had another unusually cold winter around these parts and I have three small queen palms that were damaged pretty good. I went around and on all three the centers pulled out... does this mean they are dead or will they come back with time? How can I tell if they are dead or alive? Thanks in advance for your help. =)

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hello Pure Plants, i've never owned a Queen palm, but 5 years ago i had two 14ft Washingtonia robusta palms installed in my yard and after 9 months they looked like they were goners. I gave a call to the nursery that i bought them from and they sent an employee to come and look at them. He told me that as long as they had growing spears; (centers) the palms would survive. And they have been doing great! But this past winter they were put to the test again. Almost all of the fronds turned brown from the freeze. But the centers are doing great now with new growth. I believe them about the centers now. I had some Washies in pots that i thought would die from this past winter but the centers have about 6 inches of new growth now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe one of the experts on this forum can give you a better answer. I have a question on top of yours waiting for an answer because i have invested in a lot of $ in seeds. I want to plant them right so i'm waiting on an expert answer myself. Best of luck to you.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

I found this information this morning from Tom MacCubbins website: http://betterlawns.com/April10/blg3.asp

I think I will wait and see....

Atawhai,Nelson, New Zealand(Zone 10a)

Spear pull generally isn't a good sign. Usually indicates rot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.