Gardening Shoes?

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for opinions on really good shoes for gardening. I had some work boots and killed them, they were great for digging but were pretty heavy and my feet would get so tired.. I've been wearing old tennis shoes but my feet get sore and they really aren't suited for digging and when I mow the grass and it's just the slightest bit wet, well slip and sliding with the mower isn't my idea of a great time lol! So what do you wear on your feet?

TIA!
Angie

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Angie, If you are looking for something comfortable, light, waterproof, and cute but gutsy, try Muck Shoes from Muck Boot Company. I got a pair about a week ago and have been wearing them every day. They are so comfortable I forget I have them on and they are so easy to get on and off that I can absolutely leave them at the door and change to my inside shoes. They don't have a real heavy tread that collects our red clay soil like the shoes I used previously, but the tread feels very safe in the dewy grass. They sell clogs, but I don't find clogs great for gardening. I always walk out of them. They have boots which I will certainly consider for fall and winter after having these slip ons. I got a pair of pale blue with lavender soles. They have perfectly sensible colors, but I wanted to be a little silly.

I actually dug a hole for a small fruit tree the other day while wearing these shoes. My feet felt fine afterward, but I would want a work boot (actually I'd want someone else to dig the hole for me) if I were going to be digging serious holes all day. If ever there were a pair of shoes that fit like a glove, these are it. I got my normal size, and there is still room for socks. I took a picture but couldn't get it uploaded, but the shoes are exactly as shown on the website.

I'll be interested to see what others say because I wore my old black gardening shoes for close to five years, and I'm sorry I didn't get these a long time ago.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Crocs! I love my crocs. I do need to add that they aren't the best for digging... if I'm just doing a couple of holes for perennials, though, they're fine. I have a heel problem so can't get my feet into most boots or tennis shoes, so I make do with the crocs for just about every task. I did have to get a couple of new pairs, though, since I wore down the tread on my first ones enough that I was slipping around on dewy grass!

Those muck shoes do sound nice.. treads that get gummed up with clay are annoying... I usually stomp my crocs off in a saucer of water to clean them and then kick them off on the doormat to dry, but sometimes I need to take a bristle brush to them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, I'm lazy, when all my Crocs are dirty, I throw them in the washer with all my dirty flip-flops. LOL Ric

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ric... I had considered doing that but just wasn't sure about it! That's also a good idea for any time I think I might possibly have come into contact with poison ivy (I'm very very allergic).

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sloggers !!!! I have the clogs, I did in them, wear them out in the wet grass, they don't slip. not that expensive. I keep them at the back door and slip into them every time I garden.
http://www.sloggers.com/

Ric I was wearing a knock off of crocs when I slipped and broke my wrist last fall, didn't think to change into my slogger.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sloggers, a very appropriate name for a garden shoe this spring. LOL Ric

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I live in my Crocs in summer and Ric, the knockoffs aren't the same by a longshot. Besides the convenience of being able to hose them clean, they're just so comfortable and I have a lot less foot and back pain when I wear them. One of these days I'm going to get me some that I can wear in winter too.

I used to have a pair of the rubber garden shoes and they were just too darned hot. I bought the Crocs after reading raves about them here on DG.

For gardening, I'm talking about the Crocs clogs. If you have trouble with them slipping, flip the movable strap to behind your heel instead of over the top of the shoe. I had a pair of Crocs sandals and wore them down to no treads on the bottom I wore them so much, so I know what you mean Critter.

The sandals weren't as good for gardening. With the open toe, dirt and other garden debris gets into the shoe. I do need to get me another pair though because none of my other sandals are anywhere near as comfortable or as good for my feet and back.

Oh, one other plus - I found I'm a real dayglo lime green shoes kinda gal thanks to Crocs. LOL

Almost forgot - if you sign up for emails at the Crocs website, they'll send you a coupon good for 20% off your order. They have free shipping right now too and don't forget to check out the outlet.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 11:53 AM

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your replies. Has anyone tried LawnGrips?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I wear old tennis shoes with almost NO tread left if i am mowing the lawn or digging or if it is muddy. Have at least 2 more worn-out pairs waiting in the shed.

If i am just "gardening"--my Crocks (el-cheapo version--$5.99 at Aldos) work fine.
If I am just admiring my beds and walking around--bare feet are my favorite foot-ware--till I step on some of those &*6#* tree roots. That hurts..and they all hide under the lush grass in the Summer!

I like the look of the "Sloggers"--but $35 a pair????? My frugal brain flinches at that.
Do any stores sell them?
I wonder if e-Bay may have them???? I seldom shop on-line--almost never! Maybe Amazon?

Will have to research.....
Keep the info coming......Thanks, Gita

Gita I wear the classic garden clog, I can just slip my foot out easily do knock out any tiny stone, or to just tickle my toes in the grass. Amazon.com has them for $17.00 which is what I paid maybe 5 years ago in Amish country.

http://www.amazon.com/SLOGGERS-Womens-Garden-Footwear-Clogs/dp/B0002DJMYK

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks. LadyG

My aim is to get a pair of waterproof shoes to wear when i am watering plants at the HD--a sI am often assigned to do so.
Unfortunately--we are not allowed to wear shoes that are open at the toe or the heel.....So much for Clogs!

Still looking for a cheap pair of "sloggers-type" shoes....

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I agree that "real" Crocs are way more comfortable than the knock-off version. I have knock-off crocs, and I can wear them for an hour or two before my feet start getting unhappy... but my real Crocs are my footwear of choice if I'm going to be on my feet all day (like at the Philly Flower Show or the County Fair!), and of course they're great in the garden also.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My feet are narrow and I can imagine Crocs just flopping all over the place on me. My best cool weather 'garden' shoes are a slip on leather/ leatherlike, outdoorsy style pair I got for 5 bucks at Payless couple yrs ago. They say it pays to go to Payless, I agree. Some of the cheap ones have been quite worth it for me. But i am not (yet) prone to foot aches.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Crocs don't make your feet sweat???

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The openings around the sides and toes keep my feet pretty comfy in crocs... much more so than in the solid clogs (more like sloggers, I think) that I wore previously, in which my feet would sweat and then (if I were barefoot) make remarkably rude noises as I walked across the yard.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Saw a lot of people wearing them in Disney and wanted to ask them, glad this thread was started.

Jen, How was your trip to Disney, any pictures, could you start a thread?

Chris, A Disney Junkie

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If you have not noticed....most of the nurses and OR prep personnell now all wear white Crocs--with socks, of course.... Must be comfortable!
G.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, the regular Crocs clogs are meant to be big on your feet. My feet just swim in them and I have no idea how they stay on but they do. There are other styles, such as the sandals, that fit closer and they have a new clog - Tully - that fits like a regular clog shoe.

If you have any kind of foot or back problems or if you are on your feet a lot, you won't believe how much better you'll feel after wearing Crocs all day. They do sell lines of professional Crocs for nurses, chefs and other people and a line of orthotic Crocs. I find the regular Cayman clogs have good enough arch and foot support that I've never tried the orthotic ones.

Crocs also sells shoes that look more like regular shoes but I guess have the same material in the soles that make the regular Crocs so comfortable. BTW, they're not made of rubber or the harder plastic you find in the fake Crocs. It's much lighter and softer than rubber or the cheaper plastic.

No, my feet never get sweaty or hot in my Crocs because of the ventilation holes, Jen.

I did find another line of shoes called Dawgs that are supposed to be better than Crocs. They're made of a similar (the same?) material but are supposed to be even softer and more comfortable. I just ordered a pair and I'll let you know how I like them.

Gita, if you shop around online, you can find the real Crocs on sale for pretty cheap from time to time. Try the outlet at crocs.com, 6pm.com or Amazon. Usually the sale ones are very limited in sizes and colors.

Here's a flat that's on sale for $12.99 that has a closed heel and toe.
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-mccall-winter/10625,default,pd.html?cid=463&cgid=women-footwear-slip-ons

a clog style with a closed heel and toe on sale for $24.99
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-tilda/10636,default,pd.html?cid=67U&cgid=outlet-women

and a loafer style that's on sale for $24.99
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-juneau/10209,default,pd.html?cid=067&cgid=outlet-women

That's just from a quick look at the outlet. There are several more at various prices. Or you could look at the ones designed for nurses. Some of those have closed heels and toes for people who work in places that have those requirements for shoes.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, hart! You always take the time to find links....

I like best the "Troika" (19.99) as it has the higher, covered heel. Too bad only the bright red is available in my size. I wear #10. The black one is out of stock in that size....

I will check some more......Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok Chris, started a thread here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1086822/

I'll be back later to add more photos.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They must be discontinuing Troika. I searched all the usual places and am only finding it in odd sizes like 4 and 12.

BTW, I forgot to tell you if you sign up for their emails at crocs.com, the first email will include a code to get 20% off on your order. With the free shipping they have now, that's a pretty good deal. The coupon is only good for two weeks though so be sure to wait and sign up when you're ready to buy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.