A climber for a part shady place

Horsens, Denmark

Hi dear friens :o)

There is a spot in my little garden were the jerusalem artichoke grows. This is just besides the little sitting area as well.
As much as I love the taste of the jerusalem artichokes, as much I dislike "the scenery"... the plant has little beauty at the bottom.
Well this year I would like to put a bamboo/wood screen between them and the sitting area, and plant a wine/climber to grow there

As the jerusalem artichokes does grow quite high, giving partial shade to their surroundings what can be planted there?
Any suggestion are very much welcomed :o)

Monica

Spooner, WI

Climbing Hydrangea, but they get BIG!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

There's a smaller climbing hydrangea (h. petiolaris Brookside Littleleaf) if the regular species is too big. They're fairly slow growers. Foliage is almost as beautiful as the flowers.

There are also some lonicera cultivars which have a beautiful scent which would be nice by a sitting area. They do OK in part shade, but bloom more densely of course in more sun. Some are aggressive spreaders, but OK in the right circumstance.

Also, some clematis (Roguchi, e.g.) are fairly shade tolerant?.

Horsens, Denmark

oh I like the idea, but it is a very very small place, only '4.5' feet long and really close to the sitting area
and I´m a bit nervous of having flowers so close all the time.
But you gave me an idea, maybe an ivy? do you know of any fast growing species?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Regular ivy (hedera helix) is an invasive species here, so I avoid it.
But there are hundreds of cultivars with fascinating foliage, including dainty miniatures which work nicely for you. Needlepoint, Spetchly, Ivalace, Goldheart are 4 cultivars I can think of.
I'm sure you can either see Google Images of them or check them out on Dave's Plantfiles.
Might work perfectly for your spot.

Horsens, Denmark

Hi Weerobin seems as we cross-posted ;o)
The clematis Roguchi seems nice not that many flowers as the Climbing Hydrangea,
looks like it can have lots of pollen, I´m not allergic but better not get one started by being exposed to much.

will look into the clematis and see if I can find it here

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Rooguchi is a herbacious cultivar which means that it won't climb. I grow it here in partial shade and it does just fine but it's a small vine. I have some passionflower growing on an east facing wall and their hardiness varies by type. I don't know if they have any that are hardy enough for your zone. I think that they have some that are hardy down to zone 5 or 6.

Horsens, Denmark

thanks Doss, it does really haves a nice flower. It has been imposible to find here... sold out :o)

Think I´ll stay with the ivy

Thanks for all of your help :o)

Some of the small-flowered Clematis will bloom in half sun. C. integrifolia or macropetala might work for you.

Dallastown, PA(Zone 6a)

Did you say WINE??? :)

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Will the vine be growing onto the bamboo screen?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Can someone suggest a vine for a mostly shady spot that is a fast grower? The side of our yard faces our neighbor's driveway. They just moved back in, after renting it out for the last year to a couple that were very unobtrusive. Although the neighbors are nice, they are constantly coming and going and it really drives me crazy when I'm out there in the Spring/Summer. I really want to put a shed along our fence that will block the view of their driveway, but it would be against code to be along the property line. I think I can get away with something like a trellis, but I would like a vine on there that would fill in ASAP! My inlaws have climbing hydrangea which is beautiful on their arbor, but I don't think I have the patience to wait for that.

Horsens, Denmark

Noreaster; I do not know much about vines, but your needs reminds me of one Fallopia baldschuanica
http://www.plantpress.com/plant-encyclopedia/plantdb.php?plant=1311
but it grows very much, so keeping a good eye on it would be a good idea.

Sorry for the late answers been away to Paris, saw some very fine gardens ;o)
Think I will settle with the ivy, there are lots of other flowers around, and it seems to grow fast enough.
Found these trellis for a good price. Sorry for the mess ;o)

Thumbnail by zest
Stewart, TN

That Russian vine is very interesting - I may try some. I still have some bare spots where nothing will grow, and need a good strong climber. Thanks!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a great thread. Your problem has brought forth many answers that might work for me.

Brighton, TN(Zone 7a)

About that Russian vine, I looked at the description and it sounds very invasive. You may not be able to find it here in our country. Try virginia creeper, cross vine or even a honeysuckle. I grow a very beautiful red that blooms all summer and really attracts hummingbirds.

Stewart, TN

westtngal - believe it or not, I've tried creeper, cross vine, and several honeysuckles. My site is a very tough combination of scoured-off hillside soil and fairly heavy shade. So far, only ivy and obedient plant and similar invasives have taken hold. Sometimes invasives are good!

Brighton, TN(Zone 7a)

If you would like other plants, try hellebores. They can take dry shade; but they are slow growers. I wish I had more shade and was able to try out more plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.