My 2 little Easter Eggs!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ok! So they are not Eggs, but they are decked out for Easter.
I have not colored eggs in years, so lets see some of yours.
You can post anything or anybody putting on their Easter best.
How about Easter Baskets?
Share all!

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Going to decorate eggs at my sil's house after church tonight, I'll post pics when I get home.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I haven't done Easter eggs for a couple of years, but here is what they look like when you are done.

The brown color comes from onion skins (that the eggs get cooked in) and all the "designs" are from your garden or anywhere else. leaves and small blooms or even just grass--and in the picture--one of them I wrapped a foil doily around the egg--then you wrap the whole (raw) egg up in sheer gauze and tie it all over with thread to keep everything on the egg.
Then you boil the eggs in the pre-cooked "mush" of onion skins. After boiling for about 10 minutes--you turn off the fire and let the eggs seep in the brown stuff for another 15 or so.

Then you fill your sink with cold water and put all the eggs in there to cool a bit and th=en start unraveling the thread off of each egg to reveal your one-of-a-kind egg. Rinse off all the vegetation and admire it.

The great thing is that even kids can do this--and they all are beyond beautiful! Make it a real family affair.

I think I have more detailed directions in my Documents.
This is an ages-old Latvian tradition doing eggs with onion skins. I really DO NOT like all the brighr dyes used!
I like the natural look.......:o)

Let me see if I caan transfer the link to my directions here: NOPE! So--Here is a c/p for you. Print it out and pass it on--this is an ancient craft......

ONION SKIN EASTER EGGS (The LATVIAN way)
(helpful guidelines) by Gita Veskimets

1. Collect the dry, brown, outer onion skins all year so you will have enough, or go raid your Grocery’s Onion bin. You will need a veggie bag totally full to do about a dozen eggs.

2. Place skins in a non-reactive (SS or Corning Ware), large pot and cover with enough water to submerge all the skins. Bring to a boil and keep cooking until it has gently boiled for a good 15-20 minutes. Add about ½ cup of regular vinegar and continue simmering for another 15-20 minutes. Turn off the fire and let sit while you are “doing” the eggs.

3. Before you start all this, go plant/weed/flower hunting in your yard. Weeds make the best designs. So do new Rose leaves, Forsythia blossoms, Pansies, Onion Grass, regular grass, Violas, Dandelion blooms and leaves, especially…etc. Keep in mind that all you will see transferred is the shape of the leaf/flower/grass. NOT the color.
Some blooms transfer a slight tinge of color onto the egg, like Pansies, Forsythias and
Violas. Clover works awesomely for outlines! Think SHAPE! Think OUTLINE!

4. You will be working with raw eggs. Have a small, shallow bowl-shaped dish to work in or a thick layer of paper towels. It will help to keep the egg from rolling around and cushion them if you should, accidentally, drop one. You will also need some small squares of gauze to wrap the decorated egg in and secure all the attached leaves/blooms, etc.
You can buy gauzy Cheesecloth (cut it up in 6x6 inch squares) or hit someone up that works in a Hospital for the 2x2”, folded gauze squares. Open these up—single layer to use. You will also need some old thread to wrap all the gauze in place (tightly) over the decorated egg—ALL over—so none of the applied vegetation will come loose. Just go round and round………rotating the egg in one hand as you wrap with the other.

5. Lay a square of gauze down first. Wet the raw egg. Anything you want to apply to it has to stick to the egg—fairly flat! Do one side at a time. Then flip the egg over and try to keep all the attached petals etc. on the egg. Finish the other side and then, carefully, wrap it up--all tight in the gauze. Wind the thread all over the egg to keep everything in place. You are now DONE with the hard part! Do all the rest the same, decorating with anything, and any way, that strikes your fancy. They will ALL turn out BEAUTIFUL! Guaranteed!!!

***Note: Keeping all the stuff, as you “designed it” on the egg is the hardest part. You can also try to lay the greenery on the opened gauze—and then place the egg on top and pull the corners and sides of the gauze over the egg. Even a handful of grass turns out beautiful! Or a string wrapped around the egg…Try foil doilies for some “pizzazz”!

6. Now place all the wrapped eggs in the warm onion skin pot, making sure they are all submerged. If you want solid brown eggs, just put them in the pot “as is”. Use a wooden, or plastic spoon to mix or to remove the eggs to keep them from being scratched.
Bring the water back to a boil VERY slowly (to warm the eggs), then lower the fire and let them gently bubble/boil for about 10-15 minutes. Turn off fire and let eggs sit in the broth for another 15 minutes or so to intensify the color.
**Note:You can reuse the onion water for one more batch. Nothing will go wrong if you do it for more than that, but the color will be less intense with each following batch. Still OK!

7. Using a slotted spoon/spatula, carefully remove the hot eggs to a large bowl, or a sink-full,
of cold water. Let them cool a bit. When OK to handle, start unwrapping each egg. To do this the easiest way—find the loose end of the thread and just keep pulling on it—allowing the egg to roll around, cushioned in the deep water. When all thread has been removed—carefully remove the gauze and vegetation from the egg and rinse it in the water. Set it in a dish, or the egg carton to dry, until all the eggs are done.
This WILL BE the time for “Ohhhs and Ahhhs!!”/b> as the beauty of each egg is revealed. Yes! It will!!!! You won’t believe the beauty of all the shades of chestnut brown colors and the beautiful imprints of the greens and flowers you have applied. Each one is one of a kind! AMAZING!!! Rub a bit of mineral oil on your hands (like hand lotion) and gently rub each egg to give it a bit of a shine. It really brings out the colors!

8. IF YOU PLAN TO ADMIRE THESE EGGS AND THEN EAT THEM—
Refrigerate them in due time and treat them as regular boiled eggs. If any brown has seeped through the shell, remember—it is all natural stuff and of NO concern. Boiled eggs can be displayed for about one day and then they do need to be refrigerated.

IF YOU PLAN TO PRESERVE THEM FOR POSTERITY—you can rub a little bit of
Mineral Oil on them (to give them a pleasant shine) and just leave them out in a bowl.
Over years-- the insides of the egg will just shrivel up. After years, when you pick one up,
There will be nothing but a slight rattle of the dried up contents inside. The shell will
remain intact and the colors will not fade. There should not be any bad odor unless the
shell is cracked.

*****Have fun!!!! This is a wonderful, family activity to indulge in. No matter how inexperienced the “designer” may be, every egg will still turn out beautiful!

Love, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

These eggs have been in my hutch for 15-20 years...They are all dried up inside--but still have the wonderful color.

Since the flash went off in this picture--you cannot, really, see the depth of the browns.
Some of these are the X-small eggs---just for fun.

Another more "advanced" way to decirate is to just boil the egg in the onion skins "naked'.
Then--using the tip of a small pen-knife--you can scratch designs on it, exposing the white of the shell.
Doing one egg this way make take an hour or more--but it can look amazing. However--you have to face the reality that after you are ALMOST done--you hit the air bubble and crack the shell.

Sorry--I don't have one to show you that is done this way.....I may have one to photograph--if anyone really wants to see it.....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful eggs Gita, I love the way you use the leaves and guaze bags to make the design.
We were just talking about onion skin eggs this morning. Last year JR made some with a local 4H they used crayons to make the design and then soaked the eggs in onion skin water.
How about the Easter Bunny? I painted this years and years ago. I have a boy bunny to go with her but at the time I didn't get to finish him and I don't know if I could match him very well now. One of these years I might give it a try.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! I took a picture--while i am on this topic.....

You can see the two that have been engraved. Latvian designs are very geometric, and to me--resemble many of the Inca designs....
Look at the egg that is not engraved! Do you see a dandelion leaf and the impression left on it by a Grape Hyacinth bloom?
It is the portion the TOUCHES the egg that will come through in the design.
Harder, or stiffer leaves (like a Juniper or some other evergreen) will leave amazing "footprints" og the parts that touched the egg shell. You NEVER know how amazing something will come out!

In one of the above pictures--you can see an egg where I just tied a string around it. See the pattern?

Hope you "play with this" sometimes. It DOES NOT have to be Easter! You can do it any time!
Start saving all those dry skins off your onions! And--BTW--red onion skins still come through brown when cooked.....

As far as I know--only the Baltic Countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) use this method of coloring Easter eggs.
Each one does it differently.
Perhaps you could Google Onion Skin Easter Eggs and see what comes up. Wikipedia should have something on these...

Again---Gita

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--OHHHHH! That bunny is so cute!!!!! Was it all white when you started?
OH! You MUST do the Boy Bunny! What an heirloom that will be!!!!

BTW---I read your WHOLE Post on "My life on the water" and it blew me away!
I left you a reply to that effect. I guess you haven't been back there--have you?

I just can't get into "Cubits"--or, more than likely, I have enough to do here to venture into the 1000's of Posts over there.....I did find what I read just AMAZING! Like--a whole different mind-set of writing.....
What is YOUR and Ric's opinion of "Cubits"? How do you feel about this?

I have replied to one of Stormys posts....that's about it!

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Gita I did see it and posted an answer, So glad you enjoyed my reminiscing and Scuba Diving stories. If anyone is interested in reading it and can't find it just D-mail me and I'll send you the link.
The Bunny started out as greenware ( the soft material before it is fired hard) You clean it remove any mold marks and clean up the detail if you need too then wipe it down and have it fired in a kiln. The piece is then considered Bisque it is hard and white and ready to paint.
If your idea of the Easter Bunny is a little more natural you might like this set that I also painted.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

YES! I like it!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Chloe (complete w/eye makeup - she and her Aunt Shelly were bored earlier apparently) - making Easter Cookies

Thumbnail by Chantell
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell! Good to see you again! {{{{HUGS}}}} That is the cutest "easter egg" I've ever seen!

Great tutorial on the onion skin eggs Gita! Great photos too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.