Sources for reasonable, healthy woodland plants

Spooner, WI

I am interested in acquiring some interesting woodland plants such as Hellebores, Trillium, Woodland Peony, Ladyslipper and Jack-In-The-Pulpit. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good resource that has reasonable prices (I know that these can cost a bit of "dough", but reasonable in comparison to other vendors, I guess) and sells healthy stock with a good selection?

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I don't know if he has all that you mentioned, but Loess Roots sells woodland plants & is very reasonable & pleasant to do business with. He is in the Garden watchdog. Hope this helps.

ants

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great source

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I order woodland plants all the time from MANY sources.
Check out Mt Tahoma, Keeping It Green, Edelweis, Seneca Hill, Hoot Owl Hollow, Munchkin, Rick's Custom Nursery, Wild Ginger, Sequim, Broken Arrow. This is my short list... All have websites and do mail order. There are other nurseries which carry really obscure woodland plants, but are more expensive. If you want those references, I can provide as well. (Hillside Nursery carries many ladyslippers, but the prices are painful. Very healthy plants, though.)
Finally, Eastern Plant Specialties carry lots of woodland plants and their prices are very reasonable.
As I recall, they sell woodland plants in groups of 3 to 5. The bare root plants are incredibly cheap.
The reason they aren't on the list above is that I find their packaging to be a bit of a mess and they are often labelled by handscrawled name written on masking tape stuck to the baggie. I generally pot my plants up before setting out in the yard weeks later - by the time I'm planting them out, I have often lost track of the name of the plant, which is exasperating to say the least. But their plant quality has been good, so if you're looking for a large number of plants, they're still a reasonable place to brouse.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to second Weerobin's suggestion on Munckin Nursery. I have not mail ordered fron Gene, but I have been to his nursery a few times and he has a great selection. Also he mentioned Rick's Custom Nursery. Debbie is DG member RCN48. They also have a large selection of these type plants. Rod Angeroth from Loess Roots sends you very good bareroot woodland plants usually with a bunch of extra stuff you didn't even order if you're a DG member. I just received some Jack in the Pulpit from him this morning for only the cost of postage!!! He will probably now not do any shipping until this fall, which is probaly a better time to plant a lot of these type plants anyway. I got some Bloodroot, Mayapple, Black Cohosh and Goldenseal from him last fall and it was amazing the sheer amount of stuff he sent me. His DG screen name is loess_roots. Finally I would also add Shooting Star Nursery in Georgetown KY. They have a wonderful selection of plants native to the eastern US. Their prices on Lady's Slippers are among the lowest I've seen. All the sources mentioned have websites except Loess Roots, he only does mail order but you can contact him through DG or rodangertoth@yahoo.com.

Doug

Spooner, WI

Doug, that email address didn't work! :(

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry, that should be rodangeroth@yahoo.com. I had one too many t's in there!

Doug

Years ago I purchased a lot of "native" plants from Eastern Plant Specialties. Don't know if they're still around but I remember the prices being very reasonable. Jeffersonia diphylla and Anemonella to name a few. My primary source was Shady Oaks but they're not retail anymore. Munchkin is also great. I do like Forestfarm as well but shipping costs are a consideration.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I don't know about peonies, but I have trilliums, Jack in the Pulpit and helebores that self seed in their area. I will send you some seed this Fall if you give me a SSAE. The trillium seed needs 2 periods of freeze before it grows however. I will look to see if there are any seedlings starting and if perhaps they could stand the US Postal service delivery rigors I will try to send them soon. Let me know if interested.

Spooner, WI

I'm very much interested! You have D-mail!

Ann Arbor, MI

I think Edelweiss Perennials is reasonable and very good. They have a nice selection and send very healthy plants as well. I've had a lot of people recommend them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.