Please help my dying Cheese plant? Don't know what to do....

Hi, I am new here and need some help for my Cheese plant... I have had the plant for about 7 years, but repotted it about 2 months ago since it just spread massively across the ground and I wanted to make it grow taller. Since then, the leaves have turned yellow brown along the edges and the top layer of the soil has got a white fine layer on it too. I have looke the symptoms up online and cant make my mind up if I over under watered it...I have not watered it for about 3 weeks now but it's just getting worse and there are only about 3 leaves left...Also the aerial roots which i pushed into the soil have died off and are almost hollow and light brown. What do you think please? Shall I repot and try watering? It really upsets me to see her dying....

many thanks

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, especially without a picture. So I am not going to give THAT kind of advice. But you could always take a clipping and root it in water. Kinda stinks starting over, but then again it kinda doesn't. All that work gone, but all that work to look forward to. =)

Pic attached....I hope that helps...Thanks again...

Thumbnail by ladolcevitanbg

Please note the middle part of the soil I have watered today...it all looked like on the edges...

Thumbnail by ladolcevitanbg
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

The white on the soil looks like it might have gotten to much water, but I'm no expert, and this is the first time I 've heard of a
":cheese plant"! Good luck!

Monstera Deliciosa aka Swiss Cheese Plant or Mexican Breadfruit. I got this info from another site:
Problems and possible causes
•Leaf edges brown and dried: Too much heat; lack of humidity.
•Browning of leaf tips or leaf margins: Lack of humidity; fertilizer burn; poor water quality (chlorine, fluoride, sodium, boron, soluble salts, etc.); incorrect fertilizer; spray damage (insecticides, oil, leaf-glossing materials); incorrect soil pH; pollutants in the air (gasses etc.)
•Rapid defoliation: Rapid changes in temperature or light (plant taken from bright light to relatively low light); possible overwatering; underwatering; exposure to drafts.
•Gradual defoliation (lower leaves yellow and fall): Overwatering ;, underwatering (not enough water to support full foliage); lack of sufficient light; lack of fertilizer.
•Leaves drop continuously (new leaves on tip are small and curled): Unburned gasses in the air; spray or vapor damage from cleaning fluids; industrial pollution; general pollutants in the atmosphere; possibly aphid or mite damage.
•Spotted foliage: Overwatering (check roots); burn from direct sun; cold water on foliage; fungal infection (especially if plants are in very humid, wet conditions); pollutants in the air (fumes from gases, etc.)
•Foliage is pale and weak looking: Insufficient light conditions; too dry (soil or air); lack of fertilizer.
•New foliage is small, pale, and spindly: Insufficient light; lack of fertilizer; soil too dry.
•Leaves yellowed between veins (veins remain green): pH either too high or too low; iron deficiency (high pH); magnesium deficiency (when pH is too low or acidic).
•Failure of plant to flower: Insufficient water or light; over fertilizing.
•Flower buds drop before opening: Temperature fluctuations; drafts; lack of humidity.
•Silver or red blotches on foliage: Too much direct sun.
•New Growth Wilted, or burned: Too much fertilizer (leaching needed); cold drafts; hot drafts; to dry; sunburn; too warm; freeze damage.
•Entire plant wilted: Too little water; too much water (roots rotted); too much fertilizer; exposure to cold temperatures.
•Stunted plants: Excess fertilizer (root damage); lack of water; overwatered (root damage).
•Tiny white spots on leaves: Primarily spider mites.
•Cottony masses on stems: (round or oval shaped bumps in cotton) Mealy bugs
•Sticky spots on foliage: Primarily aphids
•Small brown bumps on stems or foliage: Scale insects
•Fuzzy, grey mould that covers flowers, leaves and stems: Botrytis blight (a fungal disease generally caused by dead leaves and spent flowers being left on the plant); too much humidity; poor ventilation.
•General drooping of the entire plant: Crown, stem or root rot (usually caused by overwatering, especially during the winter months when plants are dormant and do not need much moisture.)
•Brown or yellow leaf spots: Fungi which usually develops when water is allowed to remain on the leaves. Cold water can also be a cause of spotting. Use room temperature water for misting and watering, and make sure the foliage dries before night.
•Mildew: Powdery mildew is an airborne fungal disease. (African violets and Begonias are particularly succeptible.)

Ah thanks, so I am guessing it's the lack of humidity and too much heat...I really wonder what to do...it only went that way since I have repotted it, it was perfectly fine for years before that...

West Palm Beach, FL

Lack of humidity. Solution: spray bottle! Make sure to use something other than city water, as the chlorine levels will damage the plant as well. Use rain water!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I also need help with my beautiful Swiss Cheese plant, I have a similar problem, but mine leaves develop big dark brown spots and are wilting rapidly. No idea if I am overwatering or underwatering. I also live in Scotland, the plant is not placed in direct sunlight and I suppose there is enough humidity in the room unless gas heating is killing it ?? I have uploaded a photo and appreciate your help!

Thumbnail by mante
Denver, CO

I brought this plant home about two weeks ago. It was completely healthy and green but now leaves are ranging between healthy, struggling, dying or dead. I’m usually good with plants but can’t seem to make this guy happy!

Thumbnail by Devangianna Thumbnail by Devangianna Thumbnail by Devangianna Thumbnail by Devangianna
Los Angeles, CA

We are struggling as well. We found a rarely long hanging version and the nursery was so excited to see we dig through and found our gem. The first photo was a few days after it was home. Since then we had it home for about 2 weeks when we decided to give it a new home in a larger pot. Since that move it has completely wilted, dried up. Looks dead. I am trying to save it somehow. I’m not sure what to do. I’ve tried sunlight then darkness. Watering. Not watering. Please help!

Thumbnail by Therealuaeb Thumbnail by Therealuaeb Thumbnail by Therealuaeb

Help. So I got a Swiss cheese plant around the spring time. It was a cutting I ordered. It has been frowning and sprouting new leaves but for some reason one leaf is dying. I check my plants everyday . I’m a new plant mom so I try and make sure to look up care for each plant. I don’t feel I over or under water. I make sure it’s watered when the soil is dry on the top and when I insert my finger. Maybe could have been lack of sun. I recently moved it closer to a window and now have a grow light. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2024 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by Newplantmommissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.