March 2010 - Part 4

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi All

The rain finally moved out this afternoon and there was this bright orb in the sky and it was so pleasant for a couple of hours! Total rainfall for this latest rain event was 3.02 inches. Supposed to be warmer for the weekend and sunny too. Hopefully everything will start to take off.

Adinamatti - I must have "miss typed" or had a brain cramp. Can't plant tomatoes out side here until June. But the ones I have started in the house are doing well - they are touching the grow lights - so tomorrow I will raise the lights a bit.

52 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: Calm

Pressure: 29.90 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 3500 f

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kiska House emerges from it's cocoon! Yay!

We hit 73° here today.
Hazy sun but still got a good tanning!
Almost switched to shorts. Did switch to sandals!

Picked thru our pile o'windows and found one that suits the Shed.
Ran out of lumber or the wall framing would be done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54° overnight again! We hit 79° yesterday and will be close to it today. Yesterday was perfect weather. Hot sun, warm breeze and thin clouds. We took the boys home after getting groceries and ate dinner before getting outside.I turned the smaller garden and DH raked down the clods. I planted peas, but nothing else yet. My cabbage seeds sprouted and the tomatoes are starting. (In the house.)

No April Fools here, well, maybe just me :o)

My East garden. The asparagus bed and cucumber fence area dried already. I turned it too.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: hooray--spring is coming to Palmer!
Pepper: We had a warm day here, too--up to 80F!
Ric: don't you think that is taking the "open air" concept a little too far!? LOL
Ledge, I am glad that the rain has stopped up there in the northeast! What a mess it is in so many states in that area!
Sally: Yum! I can taste those fresh veggies, now!!

Today--more of the same as yesterday--
# Today: Sunny to partly cloudy. Warm. High 82F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 56F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

I'm having lunch today with Charlotte--another central Arkansas DGer. We are meeting to trade some plants. :o))

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Kiska you have a gorgeous house! I love that blue and white, my favorite!

I'm breathing Celia! I'm breathing!!

LOL It did look like a banana, a banana boat!

Mau have a great lunch with Charlotte! Tell her I love her!

Here's what's growing in my veggie garden:

This is either chives or cilantro but it's not doing good at all, so I'm going to remove the peat moss things and start all over this weekend.

Thumbnail by crissyr

The next row back, either cilantro or chives, I planted one in the front row and one in the middle row and don't remember which I planted where! LOL I'm going to start over with these too, they haven't grown at all.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Peas!

Thumbnail by crissyr

Red Potato!

Thumbnail by crissyr

Broccoli!

Thumbnail by crissyr

This side houses green beans that haven't started growing yet (it's been about 3 weeks since we planted the seeds too,) red potatoes, broccoli, I think yellow squash, and carrots. Dave said something about cauliflower last night but I don't know where he planted it.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, it hit up to 82* wow! I let my dogs out all day and leave kitchen french door open for dog need water...

Red pansies...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

This side of the garden houses corn, cilantro, chives, and peas. The middle section doesn't have anything there yet.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy,

How deep the potatoes you plant in soil?

Wow Rusty, love that pansy! I think mine are starting to come up, I planted seeds on March 20th.

One row of the corn!

Thumbnail by crissyr

I have no idea Rusty, Dave planted them when I was at work. They moved though, let me find the pic...

Here we go. I think he accidentally planted the potatoes, then forgot that he planted them and planted something else on top of them. They were in a row and now they're kind of everywhere LOL

Thumbnail by crissyr

I'm thinking those are yellow squash?

Thumbnail by crissyr

Here's where the garden is situated in the yard.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Here's a closer pic.

Thumbnail by crissyr

We still need a gate. That's all I have so far.

Thumbnail by crissyr
(Zone 7a)

Yes, you do need a gate. It'll help keep me..I mean... the bunnies out! Lookin' good! Heh heh heh

Rusty, I love your pansies! Very pretty!

Snow. Again. Still. 43º for the high.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Check this out.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084848/

(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the link, CG ~check it out, good reading~
42*F
Overcast
kwanjin~winter again so soon?
loved seeing the new growth, and plans for spring construction, crissyr.
Rusty~that's a gorgeous pansy-glad the puppies are loving spring weather.
Just looked at my electric bill and the average temps for each month.
Last July had the highest temps with an average of 60*F; that's one reason for the success of cool weather crops and less success with veggies that need warmer weather.
Another pic of the retreating snow.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes it was good reading.. I thought I got on the wrong site!!! I even put my weather conditions in my space just in case I got lost... which I did!!! Must be the warm temps we're getting..in the high 70's!! Very windy..due for a storm tomorrow possible tornadoes.

Rusty the potatoes are buried 8 inches deep.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My word Kiska it looks as if the snow is off the mountain too!
WOW!

81° here today.
I'm sunburned and whipped! lol!

Tomorrow we start the rafter trusses.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

I'm lost! Someone wanted Tulip Magnolia seeds and I can't find them. ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hit a high of 80 today with strong winds and sun. Under a wind advisory til 9pm. Strong storms coming in tomorrow. Slight risk of severe storms.

Found out today that I'm leaking tranny fluid. My parents found a couple spots in the driveway where there was huge stains. It was my tranny fluid. So now we will have to add quite a bit tomorrow so we can drive it to the tranny guy. Gonna be a 30 minute drive assuming truck doesn't stall out or something. I can't wait til the stupid thing is fixed. lol. If the guy does a good job then this summer hopefully I can get the tranny on the truck I'm driving now fixed. Yeah, it's bad too. That's why it's our backup truck. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here you go Celia!
This may cheers you up.... hmmm.... or make you madder ;-)

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mutants

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

LOL No, Ric. That cheered me a little. ^_^ Half of the snow in the pics has melted.

Monty says, "No more snow, please."

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

63° and breezy! It will be getting colder all week. I hope it rains tonight because I planted spinach yesterday. I'm debating the radish and turnips.

Adina, your pansies are beautiful everytime I open the thread.

I enjoyed everyone's pictures!

Chrissy, you have a nice garden going!

Rusty, those are the best red pansies I've ever seen!

Chrissy, you have a great yard!! A great fenced in garden!! And you have grapes!!

Celia, at least the least spring snows melt fast. I hope!

Bernie, I wondered about Dave's April Fools jokes the other day. I'll have to admit, just for a minute I was fooled! And dismayed.

Kiska, I love your house! Spring comes to you at last!

Cindylove, LOL! It was a confusing thread :o)

Chrissy, you plant potatoes pretty deep. I go 4'' and hill them. I love your raised rows.

Ric, I see you're storing the ladders in the shed already!

Aawww Pepper, danged old truck anyhow!

Ric, how beautiful! I want white daffodils! Interesting mutants :o)

Where's Monty? He was here just a minute ago!

Well, it feels good to be a ble to catch up. Sorry to those I missed commenting on. I was trying not to write my usual book.

Kiska, I found him! I had to rub his belly so he would sit in my hand long enough for a picture and he never peed on me! I set him in the compost pile.

In the hole.....

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Out of the hole.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had a worker cleaning my beds yesterday. She did a wonderful job.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

more Crocus

Billy you have a toad! I haven't seen Harry yet, last year he was about that size but had red on him. Wonder where the little scoundrel went...

Neither me nor Dave have ever done potatoes before, I've never done a garden before, but I told Dave to let a red potato shrivel and grow eyes but he said that doesn't work, so I bought a package at HD and it said to plant them 8" deep. They were all on top of the hill, which is 8" tall, but somehow they all moved around, I think he planted them and forgot and planted something else, like yellow squash or something, on top of them.

Yay!! Your stuff is coming up! Woo Hoo!!

Ug Pep, I'm so sorry about your transmission, that sucks, but hopefully not too expensive to fix, hopefully just a gasket but I know those can be expensive in labor to take everything apart, put the gasket on straight, and put everything back together.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2010 8:49 AM

(Zone 7a)

BP, how cute is he? LOL

Bernie, your beds are looking great!

31.5 °F with 45º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 32 °F
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 17 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.07 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Crissy, don't matter how deep the potatoes are, just mound dirt up on the plants as they grow. Don't want any of the little potatoes growing without being covered.

Yesterday, 84º.
Town close to us set a record for high temperature for April 1, 81º.
Low overnight, 61º.
Forecasting rain later today. Still windy from the south.
Good day to work in the shop. Going to plant carrots first.

What's funny is Dave didn't think they grew a plant on top, he thought that they just get bigger underground and you have to guess when to dig them up. I'll have to look to see how you can tell by the plant when they're ripe.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They will grow, then bloom, & when the plant starts drying up, dig them babies. You can dig anytime after bloom if you want nice young potatoes.
The little, fresh ones go real good cooked with peas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.