March 2010 - Part 4

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Only 2 days until March goes away and Spring is already here. Come and tell us about your weather!

We came from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1082618/

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

More pansies.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

And another one.

Oops, I forgot to tell about the weather...it's getting warm again, 60F today and sunny.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I hope April is dryer than March for us. We are under another flood warning and state of emergency. The rivers are still at full bank level from the deluge 2 weeks ago, now another 3 to 6 inches is predicted. We already have 1.5" and the worst is yet to come.
March was already the wettest month ever with over 13 inches before this storm.
I sincerely hope this trend does not continue into the growing season, last year was a washout.
Andy P

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Adinamiti - lovely pansies!

Sarahskeeper - You have certainly had a lot of rain down your way, most of which missed the down east coast of Maine. We can use the rain. About an inch has fallen today, and was wind driven. I am ready for the power to go out - extra water drawn. have the light from the wood stove to see by to get flashlights going. The tree are whipping back and forth in the wind. Saw one downed tree on the ride home from work.

It has been getting warmer since I got home - was in the upper 30's now in the upper 40's

48 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 40 °F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 45 °F
Wind: 28 mph from the South

Wind Gust: 41 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Visibility: 4.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 1000 ft

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Andy, feel free to send any surplus rain to me. It hasn't rained here in over three weeks.

Fabulous car pictures, E_B! I especially liked the first one. You don't see junk cars around here. I don't think there is any ordinance around here concerning junk cars but people here in town don't have big enough yards to keep something like that around. Out in the country, anything that lays around too long will eventually get burned up. I guess we have kind of a self-cleaning countryside. ;-)

Nice pansies, Adina. Those were probably my favorite flower when I was a kid. Thanks for explaining the Dracula thing, too.

Hearing worms eat made me think of something really nasty (WARNING: grossness ahead) - hearing caterpillars poop. One time we were up at camp during a bad spell of gypsy moths and there were so many of them that you could hear their poop falling like a very light rain. O.K. Let's move along.

My dad has a 1961 Oldsmobile and he has classic plates and classic car insurance, both of which are really cheap as long as - as Bernie said - he drives less than x miles per year.

some hiking pictures from today
The wild oats is going to seed, which means that it won't be long until it turns brown. (Those @$%# non-native annual grasses!)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Oh, yeah, the weather. (Duh, Kelli!)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on March 29, 2010
77 °F
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 36 °F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE

This makes me laugh.

Whereas high temperatures are currently running in the 70s and
80s... high temperatures by Thursday will have dropped 20 to 30
degrees and rise only into the 50s. Such high temperatures would
be below normal even if this was a January day rather than the
first of April. In addition... gusty winds in many areas will cause
conditions to feel even colder due to the wind chill. The use of
winter Coats and perhaps umbrellas would fool anyone into
believing that April first was really a Winters day.

It's easy to see why this is called small-flowered fiddleneck.

Thumbnail by Kelli

The one floret that is fully open shows why this is called owls clover.

Thumbnail by Kelli

scarlet pimpernel

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The hood ornament is a Flying Lady. I think the only reason it's still there is because the back part is broken ff and missing.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Here's another video. It's the same ol' Kanan Road, but it's bright and the color is good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99ZN1lf3ZY

Ric, I think you'll know that answer to this one. How should I clean my camera lens? The instruction book says to not use alcohol but it doesn't say anything else.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm amazed how long Sarah my dog can 'hold it' lol. She gets flustered when the rain makes noise on the roof.
We hit 2 " around sunset. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to avoid what is normally a 50 minute drive. The fireplace is dripping again, a wallpaper soaking tray is catching most of it and a towel is on the hearth to soak up the rest. The tray caught 4 gallons in the storm 2 weeks ago.
Chatting with a store owner during the last storm about the flooding, he brought me to the basement door. There was 4 feet of water down there. He said he had removed the toilet years ago and capped the drain, the pressure popped the cap off. Lots of stock was ruined and the clean up cost.... He may have to do it again.
Folks with a septic system are stuck, don't flush. It reminds me of the old adage "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down", lol.
Nice fiddleneck, Kelli.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently 65 and sun is setting. Rest of week will be sunny and in 70s and 80s. Rain Friday night and Saturday.

Mavericks lost again last night 2-1. It was a close game. Both teams frustrated because they couldn't get anywhere. A few more games this week and depending on how many they win they may or may not go further.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: I love the "faces" on pansies!
Andy: I am so sorry about all the rain and flooding you have been experiencing in your area. It's when we lose access to our modern conveniences that we really learn to appreciate them! So sad about the shop owner losing his merchandise, too.
Kelli: "this junk car will self-destruct in 60 seconds". LOL Is that what you mean by "self-cleaning"? I, too, laughed at the description of the temperature highs and lows and was thinking, "Huh?"

It was a lovely day here with a high of 67F and the humidity was a low, low, low 29%. That is practically unheard of around here! It also means that things are dry, in spite of recent rain in some areas. I heard that the Forest Service is conducting a controlled burn of 16,000 acres just to the west of Little Rock. There is a big brown cloud on the horizon over there. What are they thinking and in these dry conditions?!!! How do you do a "controlled burn" of 16,000 acres, anyway? Of course, the newscaster could have made a mistake. It could be 16 acres instead of 16,000. LOLOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli I use a micro-pore cloth and rarely a lens cleaning solution.
It's specially made for cameras.
Kodak makes a good cleaning cloth.
Usually I just breath on the lens and then use the micro.
Ah the scarlet pimpernel. Love that one!

(Zone 7a)

It's very windy out there now. Rain and snow on the way.

57.2 °F with 67º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 15 °F
Wind: 7.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 21.0 mph
Pressure: 29.54 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I passed up these pansies at Lowe's and am kicking myself. I may have to go back today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the pansies Adina!! One of my favorite flowers. I planted a bunch of pansy seeds, they should be starting to come up here pretty soon.

I haven't downloaded my pics yet from my dad's visit, Dave's too dizzy to drive anywhere so I had to go to Wal Mart yesterday after work, then after dinner then talking to my mom, it was bedtime!! I'm going to get some new pics of the garden and beds this evening when I get home from work, then actually download them! LOL

So today we are supposed to be sunny, a little breezy, and 74*! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Bright, Breezy - climbed the ladder to inspect the damage on the shed roof - it is dented in where the guys the DW hired to paint it walked - standing water, will not try to repair until it dries.

55°

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

It's beautiful here today... though it's windy the temp is 80!!!! & of course it's SUNNY!! I've been able to do a little gardening today!! Can't wait to do more!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is the worst flooding in 50 years. The National Guard has been called up. Traffic reports are for road closures rather than backups.
A nearby housing project.

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

DG has so much information. I never thought I would learn such things as you can hear worms eat and caterpillars poop! My education must be complete now.

Kelli - I have rain to spare, and am more than happy to share.

Sarahskeeper - not as much rain up here, but still plenty, there was 2.09 in the gauge this morning at 7 a.m. and rain on/off during the day with heavy rain, and high wind warnings for the night. Also possible coastal flooding at the high tide tonight. It is almost up to 50 though.

Love the pansies!
current weather
48 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 44 °F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the East

Wind Gust: 18 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Visibility: 4.0 miles

A perfect day here today. High of mid 70s with a strong wind.

Ritchie Brothers had their auction today and we worked concession for it. Good turnout and great food. The guys doing the grilling were loving the weather as long as the wind didn't blow the smoke in their eyes. They were a bit sore at the end of the day from the smoke but no complaints from them.

My truck goes to mechanic on Friday. He will test drive it and see what it's doing and go from there.

Hi, guys! Perfect weather here, 70F, sunny .I'm posting a few pics from my garden.
The daffs are almost ready to bloom!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The purple hyacinth too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This one is blooming!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The white hyacinth.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Moonvine popping up from a seed...yiipeeee!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Red MGs.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

UFO MGs.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The plants I have on my window in the livingroom...the pots with the seeds I started are there too!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Celia, congratulations for the new arborvitae! I saw Master Monty showed
the yesterday's lesson ...stretching!LOL Nice car!
Ric, glad you fish are well!
Crissy, why is Dave too dizzy?
Dyson, what were you doing up on that ladder? You are grounded for 2 days in bed!LOL
Sally, our gravel way is in bad shape too. Great sunrise!
Andy, sorry you have so much trouble with floods this year. I hope the rain stops soon.
Ledge, your tomatoes are ready to be planted outside, wow! I don't think other languages are using so many abreviations as English American!
Mau, that must have been a disaster if 16,000 acres of forest were burnt!
E_B, amazing painted old cars! I had to look better to see if it wasn't your Photoshop work!LOL
Kelli, great pics! Look, I have the Scarlet Pimpernel on my field too!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Adina, Crissy's Dave is always dizzy. LOL (I kid...)

Great pics, Adina. I love the MG leaves.

Sarah, eeek! on the flooding. Is it affecting you, as well?

Ledge, I keep learning things here, too. The education is never complete. LOL

45º for the high today. Snow and rain mixing with the dust from yesterday. Ick.

Anemone opening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Had to dig out some 'boo so we didn't get a lot done but here's the first wall.
Sheated and Papered.
The rest will go fairly quickly.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

7:30am~daylight and a nice long day ahead. Sunset will be 8:41.
Temp 32*F going up to 40's. Every day now it gets into the 40's and the roof is nearly clear of snow. Yesterday it dripped like rain. The driveway has patches of bare ground. Not so anywhere else, yet. Over a foot of snowcover and gardening waits for a few more weeks.
Too far behind for comments; but did catch up on news/photos.
Posted elsewhere a few days ago~moose in the background, my gson in foreground; taken Sunday. The moose have here frequently as they look for browse at the end of winter.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You guys and gals are a chatty bunch--LOL! I've been watching the news reports about the rain and flooding in several states in the Northeast U.S. What a shame and what a lot of damage!
Celia: sorry about the rain/snow/wind!
Dyson: Adina is right--you are grounded for 2 days! No climbing ladders for you!
Pepper: good luck with the truck.
Ledge: LOL--nothing dull around here and we get an education, too!
Adina; nice flowers!
Ric: you and Robyn always have a project going!
Kiska: handsome grandson--the moose--well not so much! LOL

Unseasonably warm and also windy, today:
# Today: Sunny with gusty winds. Warm. High 82F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 53F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day!
74º SUN!!
All windows are open in the house. In with nice fresh air & out with stale winter air.
Got to make a long trip today with many stops.
Have 2 helpers coming tomorrow. Man will help plant potatoes, the gal will clean up flower beds. Trim old plants, etc.
I plan on having super looking beds this year. Last year was kind of lost. Never weeded a couple beds.
Also going to change the pond to a waterfall, stream, & bigger pond. (Ric, Help!)
Talked to a person at a home show that will make up the liners for me. Most wouldn't do that unless they did the whole job.
Bernie

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Celia!! That's true too! Adina, Dave is dizzy because his allergies have him congested behind his ears, kinda like what happened with me a few weeks ago when my left ear was ringing constantly and my right ear was so plugged up I couldn't hear a thing out of it. Thank goodness I wasn't dizzy, but I'm not as likely to get dizzy as he is (sorry all you boys here, had to be said! LOL)

Celia I saw a Vette like yours on the freeway this morning and it looked sharp in all it's yellow glory, then he had to slow down for traffic, then came the plummet of smoke from the exhaust. BUM he should have bought a cherry instead of a banana.

Mau already posted the weather here for today. We're expecting an outbreak of severe weather Friday late evening and night and tornadoes are in the forecast. I'm already starting to freak out, I should have never looked at that forecast. Ug.

(Zone 7a)

Cherry instead of banana...heh heh heh

Breathe, Crissy!

(Zone 3b)

Adina~the pansys are so pretty~
Just went out to take a pic of the snow nearly gone off the roof.
It's 44*F, sunny and windy so it's just great for snow melting.
ric~your project is looking good.
CG~hard to imagine planting potatoes-seems "just yesterday" your yard was snow covered, too. I like the plans for waterfall/pond, sounds so nice and relaxing once it's in place.
kwanjin~loved the baby outfit~fun to be shopping for newborns, especially when you're the gramma:)
hi marsue~
crissyr~hope Dave feels better and doesn't get any worse.
ledge~I love the photos ~ I'd love to see that part of the country someday.
Not much snow left on the roof~this afternoon~

Thumbnail by kiska

Warm at 77 degrees with strong breeze. T shirts all day. LOL. Been pulling some chickweed that all of a sudden took over my gardens this year and moved some plants from under the eaves of the house into the sunshine. Temps aren't gonna be cold enough for them to need protection.

Off to arena to watch Mavericks on big screen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.