Ground Cherries?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings all,

Does anyone have any experience growing (and eating:) ground cherries?
I purchased two seeds packets from SESE. These are called "Cossack Pineapple"
Thanks!
Marlene

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

see:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126446/
and read comment and perhaps contact the commenter.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm starting some of those this year! I've grown "pineapple tomatillos" before and absolutely loved them -- they are a taller plant, but I think these are probably very similar. The flavor is amazing, sweet and almost perfumed when ripe, not like anything else I've tasted except maybe a little bit like lychee fruit? Hard to say. I guess you could say it had a pineapple flavor, vaguely, LOL.

Thanks Very Much,
Since posting this comment, I've been busy on the web trying to do some research.
First off, I discovered that though I've kept them under light (tiny little things!) they really need a small amount of heat to get larger.

I'm thinking of using a heating pad... Ever try that or is that too far-fetched:)

I'm very excited about these and am thinking of purchasing other varieties as well, perhaps "Aunt Molly's"

Critter, thank you for your suggestion (I found that link, just before coming back to this comment to see if any one had responded:) I also saw a link, didn't save it though, that suggested growing these in a container. Perhaps, I'll try that as well.
Thanks Much!
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Please don't use a household heating pad under plants... it's just not safe. Check out the article I wrote on seedling heat mats & alternatives for some ideas: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/556/

My seed packet suggests that Cossack Pineapple is a relatively compact variety (18-24 inches), so I'd think it would be fine in a container.

I do know that when I grew the taller Pineapple Tomatillo plants I got lots of volunteers in that area of the garden in the next year or two. So I'm hoping these low growing ones might do the same.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have never tried these. Thanks for the info I might have to try something new.

Critter,
Thanks for the "heads up" about the heating pad. I'm planning on going to a few nurseries today, and will check out the prices of heating mats. I'm afraid my current seed growing set-up has to look OK for visitors, Its in the living room, (real tiny apartment) so some of the other suggestions won't work this year. I also realized, that my profile still says Decatur, Ga. I'm actually in Silver Spring, MD now. Are there any nurseries you could recommend in this area?
Thanks So Much,
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Behnke's! They may not have the cheapest prices, but OMG do they have the selection. Here in Frederick, I love Dutch Plant Farms.

I don't think I realized you're in SS... be sure to stop by the MidAtlantic Gardening Forum and check out the "Events" thread... we're a fairly active group!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly,

I am growing the (Mexican???) Tomatillo this year for the first time. Got a few of the fruits from a woman at work--and, of course, saved as many seeds as I could. I have seeded 3 of them.
They were in one of the envelopes at the Seed Swap......

Hmm...I like the idea of a pineapple Tomatillo--as the ones I had were pretty bland-tasting.....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pineapple tomatillos are quite different -- little marble sized fruits.

I like regular tomatillos... ifyou found them bland, try using them when they're more green.. they have a nice tart flavor that's a good accent in a veggie saute' or in salsa. Green versions of salsa and other mexican sauces are made using tomatillos instead of tomatoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.