Getting ME ready for iris season, part 3

Raleigh, NC

Ok y'all, we came from

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070000/

And now I start again!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I made it first! WOW!!

South Hamilton, MA

Could be lack of action because of the rain etc., but my weight is higher than usual. Lack of sleep & being cold because our furnace had to be turned off for several days. Weather back to normal, 40s instead of 60s, but it will come. sleep better so that might help. Second batch of riticulata iris in bloom.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm here! I think my weight loss has plateaued a bit, but I'm at least a few pounds lighter (confirmed by the scale at the doc's too), so I'm going in the right direction. I need to buckle down with the diet again... I think I'm secretly hoping that increased activity will do the trick... and it might, but taking off a few more pounds a little faster by dieting will help also.

I'm all inspired from (of all things) noticing how much more Eliot (my cat!) is running and leaping again after taking off a couple of pounds.

Joyanna is crawling now and has started to pull herself up, so walking may be happening sooner rather than later... I don't think getting enough activity will be an issue for me this summer! LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, we have all had a rough winter. I am glad spring is here. My lungs are getting better daily and I actually worked in the garden twice last week. I have the big family Reunion at our home this coming weekend so that will also keep me moving. I have a very large order of Coleus coming first week of April and DH is also having two back surgeries so I will be running back and forth from the hospital to home to take care of him and the dogs. I do not sleep well when he is not here. I have not lost weight but I have not gained. But with the beautiful weather and more activity, I WILL now start to lose weight. Have a great day.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Glad there's a new thread started. Had to bail on old one being on dail-up,it had gotten too long.

Still exercising twice a week at community college but hopefully will be starting my own classes soon. Diet kinda fell by the way side as weather warmed up,getting out more so eating was on the run and whatever is handy/easy. Don't think I've gained any weight though.

Peggy

Raleigh, NC

well, get your baggie of baby carrots and celery sticks ready, bigred, on accounta spring is coming your way. It's here now, finally, but it can't decide to stay yet. Daffs are up, first SDB bloomed When You Wish.

Y'all can hop right back on my diet with me! Got the scales working here, because the ones at the Y are broken. 194.0 yesterday, so got to dieting again and 193.8 this morning already.

This iodine is working y'all! Weeded for 3 hours yesterday in the iris bed. Two years worth of weeds to undo - I'll be going at this for weeks. Can't decide if it's going to rain out there today. As soon as there's enough light and no rain, I'm at it again until class time. Got my iris society coming here to see irises in 30 days!

Winnsboro, TX

Bonjon isn't it funny what having folks coming to see your iris gardens can do for you??? Makes you get off your duff and do things that you've put off forever. I'm going to have an open garden again this year and I've been working my tail off every minute of daylight that I can. I still have tons of stuff I've got to do and I'll be lucky if I can even finish half of it. (frown). Maybe they will over look some of the things I don't have time to do and just oooo and aaaahhh over the irises, poppies, and other plants. LOL

I'm not telling ya'll that I fell off the diet wagon. I will tell you that I'm still off soda's.
Maybe I'll lose some weight working out in the yard, toting bags of manure, mulch, and so forth. Not to mention the bending, weeding, raking, and so forth. Too much to do and not enough time to do it. (grin)

Ya'll keep up the good work losing weight, maybe I'll catch up and jump back on the wagon.

Love Ya all,
Marian

Raleigh, NC

I finally found some pre-emergent herbicides I can use, so this will not happen again.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, got a good report from the doctor, first of all I lost 4 more lbs. and was so sure I hadn' lost an ounce since I pigged out on the cheese filled pastry. My hemogloben is up so doing good there. The upper GI showed I had a large hiatal hernia which I knew I had, but half of my stomach has gone up into my chest. Wow, that scared me, but unless I don't have stomach problems doctor said I was OK. Don't need a referral to a surgeon. Just wish they had an energy pill so I would get out in the garden. I have enjoyed spring like weather for a long time and never took advantage of it. Still having trouble exercising, have to work on that too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,having time to go grocery shop for good stuff would help. It's been non-stop yard and greenhouse work for several weeks now and I need to clear this house of chips,cookies and other junk food then spend a day making healthy snacks to grab on the way out the door.

I still haven't found that WW scales I won't. Found it on Wal Mart webpage but then when I went back to order it ,it was no longer on there...GRR!

Raleigh, NC

well BLAST - y'all, my exercising just got in the way of my gardening! LOL well, not quite.

I love to dive. just found out I could last week, long as I dive into the deep end. So Monday before class, I did. did a nice one, too. Haven't done one that nice in a long time....you know how you can tell you did a dive right? you got REALLY FAST straight to the bottom.

Yup. smashed 3 fingertips, left hand, on bottom of pool. There's a way to prevent that - you see it all the time in the underwater cameras at the Olympics. kinda a tuck and roll move. I haven't done a really good dive in so long, I forgot. Fingertips are fine, but the knuckles are SORE as can be and stiff, can hardly make a fist. later Monday, trying to favor the left hand, stressed the right wrist carrying a heavy bag of chemicals. slightly swollen and sore, too.

Tuesday was bad day, think I also got a chill out there Monday. Stayed in my chair, could hardly use the mouse. Drank tea. Tummy too upset to eat until dinner. Today, I tried to weed. YOUCH. Found an old hand brace from my carpal tunnel days for right wrist- that worked. But having to soak left fingers in epsom salts.

%$@#$#$%$^^#@ darn dumb to hit bottom of pool. can't even really blame it on exercising.

OK - enough venting. gotta go weed something. probably irises.

edditted to add: only 350 more to weed.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 3:43 PM

Raleigh, NC

after those injuries Monday, I went over to my remote garden. in 30 mins. was able to weed all of it, two 100' rows. That's how easy it is to weed that sandy soil.

and that's probably how bad the soil is, too.

I only added manure and compost to rows, didn't make any beds. Put down cardboard, covered in free mulch from craigslist between rows.

Raleigh, NC

after those injuries Monday, I went over to my remote garden. in 30 mins. was able to weed all of it, two 100' rows. That's how easy it is to weed that sandy soil.

and that's probably how bad the soil is, too.

I only added manure and compost to rows, didn't make any beds. Put down cardboard, covered in free mulch from craigslist between rows.

But I did get very chilled - nasty cold hard wind out there. full sun - no trees to block the wind like here at the house.

South Hamilton, MA

DH had weeded a great deal of a 75 ft bed of SDBs & other medians when the rains came again over the weekend. 2+" Pumping the basement again, but not nearly as bad as before. Just keeping at it. Says he won't try the washing machine for another day. Ugh!

Raleigh, NC

oh irisMA! yuck! that's one reason so few folks have basements hereabouts. Not a high water table, just that our clay soils hold in the moisture. Basements after about 30 years smell to high heaven of musty, mold and mildew.

Y'all, I'm such a wuss. My left hand and right wrist are so stiff and sore today after weeding yesterday that I bailed out on weeding Epperson's garden. First weeding day I haven't gone. And I hardly slept a wink, would turn over and bend my hands ever so slightly and wake up in pain. Finally got up and read until dawn.

When it comes to my hands, just call me diva. And don't let anything happen to 'em.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

bonjon, that sounds like something I would do.

I had three housekeepers at my home yesterday to do spring cleaning. It took 3 individuals 10 hours to get every thing done. Today the window washers and carpet cleaners are here and then this afternoon the company will power wash the patio and driveway. Then I will be caught up and then I can keep it up.

My irises are about 4 days away from blooming. The roses are about 7 days. The front landscape is a show stopper. If I have time later today, I will take a couple of photos. I have manicure and pedicure and then shopping for family reunion this weekend at our home. Have a great day.

Raleigh, NC

Happy Palm Sunday folks!

oh lucky you Sharon! we'll be blooming TBs starting in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Today, DH and I have already attacked the brambles on the eastern front slope above the irises and roses. They attack me when I'm weeding there. DH had to dig them. With these hands, and as big as their roots were, I couldn't do it. Even so, I'm knackered. Once I get the roses trimmed, fertilized and remulched, and the high grass cut, that part of the front garden will look decent.

Yesterday, DH and DD weeded over 1/2 the fallow part of the western slope. Was going to till those weeds in as green manure. But there's too many wild strawberries and violas. I dont trust them to not come back up. They've killed a lot of my irises there.

Raleigh, NC

OK - got my "exercise" in for today. Worked all day on that front eastern slope. We got the high grass mowed, the roses pruned, weeded, fertilized, even watered - had to repair irrigation system, and yank it back to surface. Slope tends to bury it a bit, and pine tree had covered it over with roots and pushed it down farther. Fighting pine roots takes it out of me more.

It all looked so nice, I started mulching. Those heavy bags get me. Was on the fifth one when DH came back out and started hoisting them for me. Still, my back is DONE, my groin in DONE, and I'm cold and wet (got royally sprayed by water line!). I worked another 45 mins. cleaning here and there, but wind was chilling me to the bone.

But it all looks so nice!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Today on my "Taking Care of Me" list is a appointment for breast exam. Wish me luck. Not one of my favorite things to do.

Cloudy,cold and windy yesterday and I had to stand out in it potting up more plants in the nursery.

Going to clean out some old flowerbeds and plant flowering/fruiting shrubs for wildlife habitat when I get back from appointment.

Suppose to be warmer today.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good luck, red! Good for you keeping on top of those checks.

I've got an imaging appointment Wednesday that I'm not looking forward to, sonogram on the one side is going to *hurt*.. took a fall in Amsterdam that resulted in a benign but significant swelling in one breast, was supposed to "resolve" in about a year but hasn't. Phooey. It's created more than a cup size difference between the girls, and I'm really tired of stuffing the side that's fine! Already have a consultation lined up next week with a surgeon, will see what he says. As I said, it's not a cancer worry, but it's annoying as all get out!

Cold & wet here, too, but later in the week it's supposed to be glorious. Planted a row of peas in the drizzle yesterday... guess they got watered in well! My irises are coming along. I need to get out between showers and put down some grub-ex around them.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,everything...so far turned out thumbs up. Only got the manul breast exam but I'm scheduled for mamogram on April 7th. Dr. found no masses and agreed pain I've been having was probably strained muscle in my chest as it started soon after I started those exercise classes back in Dec. and it hasn't healed because I'm re-injuring doing all the lifting and pulling in the nursery. Mamogram is to be sure and it's been a while since I've had one. Weight down,blood pressure good,pelvic exam good,have to wait for lab to do test on IQ test(PAP) but she said everything looked normal.

South Hamilton, MA

Nice to have good news, isn't it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Excellent news! I thought it was a routine check, didn't see you were having pain... no fun... I know it'll be hard to do less in order to let that muscle heal!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

at my age..aches and pains are so normal I usually over look it but I have cancer in both sides of my family so it's not a good thing to do that any more.

South Hamilton, MA

right. I was having bleeding problems in 2000 so they checked & said that some cells 'looked funny'. Therefore had a hystorectamy. )sp?) some of the cells were cancerous but had not yet reached the wall. So no chemo etc needed. A lucky escape, thanks to my doctor.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,she did find a small cyst on my cervic but said it was of no concern but made sure she got plenty of cells for testing just to be absolutely sure.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful idea to have a sight that not only deals with a hobby passion but health also. I am a diabetic and find that working in my garden makes my physical being so much better, as well as mental. I still work full time and try to fit 1 1/2 acres of garden (flowers and vegetables) as well as a small greenhouse into my life activities. I really do think I live to garden. I am trying to lose about 30 lbs to help my insulin work better. It seems for every lb. lost there is a new one to be found!

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Hi Orchid, love that iris. What is it? I too am a Diabetic (Type II) and I'm dying to get out in the garden and tend to our iris. Then just maybe I can loose some pounds.

Donna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"for every lb. lost there is a new one to be found"

ROFL! Sometimes I think fat just migrates around my body...

Getting out into the garden will be good for all of us, in so many ways! Kudos to those who got a winter start on being healthier. :-)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

orchidman,
My mother was late onset diabetic as is my husband so I feel for you. My older sister was diagnoised not to long ago w/the same so I count myself lucky not to have it.

Peggy

Raleigh, NC

well, I know working in the garden is a cure for some things.

DD got into a major fight with me. Won't embarass her with writing the details here, but she got herself into trouble both here and out there in the world.

well, her punishment for what she did when she was overwhelmed angry is chores until further notice. She hasn't been able to find a job, it's spring break, and I've been, for the past 3 days. giving her a taste of what it's like to be a foreign day laborer working for a living, manual labor in my garden. With my hands both bummed up, she's my "muscle." And the garden hasn't looked this good in a while. Today, the hottest day by far this year, she went with me to Epperson's garden and helped the local iris society group prep his garden for one last tour. She mowed, weeded, and hauled the weeds for the "grandmas and gramps-es" - - - and had a blast.

After weeks of her being peeved at the whole planet, I listened to her last night singing in the shower. That's the first happy sounds I've heard from her in six months, except for her joy on her birthday.

I'm about dead from working her so hard. And I've already noticed I can work with comfort and ease and more energy than in two years. My pants are looser, too. Muscles in my arms are getting hard and firm.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Boy.yesterday was a beauty. Got a bit of sunburn even though I was working in mostly shade. Had some old bricks laying around and a pathway that always needed weeding so I spent the day making a brick pathway. Today I sweep sand into the cracks,clean out,weed and plant the flowerbeds on either side. Good to be in the "outside" dirt. Grrenhouse is fun early in the year but outside dirt is "more funnier"*S*

South Hamilton, MA

bonjon I hope that your hands improve. got a little work done yesterday--hope to really get at it today.

Raleigh, NC

Happy Easter Y'all!

Will be with family tomorrow, hopefully. Sounds like most of ours has flown the coop for the holiday.

But I've filled the frig with fruits and veggies, have the ham ready to bake, and found a light calorie desert for our small feast. The easter bunny is bringing me TWO little russell stover easter candy eggs, and that's all. She even went very light on the candy coming to others as well, so there'll be nothing for me to snitch! LOL

Ruth has continued to work hard. With her help, the front slope looks great and the front 3 iris beds are 99% done. I've got about 30 mins. of weeding left. She was given half a day off yesterday to attend a cookout, where she had a lot of fun. She's in a better mood than she's been in a long time.

Thanks irisMA - the hands are better. The right wrist, thanks to the old carpal tunnel brace, is back to normal. The jammed fingers, well, they are getting a weeding workout. Every night and morning they are as stiff and sore. Been soaking them in hot water and epsom salt to keep them going.

Just got back from taking Mom an orchid corsage I found on sale, so she'll be pretty for tomorrow. Took Dad half my candy eggs. Then while there visiting, realized it's Dad that's now diabetic, not Mom. Ou vay

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

My Mother was just weeks from dying and in an assisted living facility and it was Easter week. She was diabetic so she did not eat candy. Her roommate's daughter brought her some chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Mother said, "Oh I cannot eat that, I am diabetic. I said, "Oh my goodness mother, eat it and enjoy". She knew she was dying and she did take a piece. You should have seen the look on her face. Pure joy. I still that look today. It was the same look I got every morning when I showed up to spend the day with her. When she saw me coming down the hall toward her in her wheelchair, she wold burst into the most delightful smile. I did that for 6 months and I would not trade that time for anything. Happy Easter to all my gardening friends.

Raleigh, NC

WHOOOOO WEEEEEE!!!!!

well, the scales hasn't budged. BUT I got into my favorite Easter dress this morning. It's been too small to button (up the back) for the LAST 15 years! Too small through the torso by at least 2.5". Wore it today. Torso wasn't even snug - but the arms and shoulders were. Go figure.

Doing a Happy Dance! Can tell I've lost height - it didn't used to be so long.

Thumbnail by bonjon
South Hamilton, MA

rearranging self? lazy scales? take your choice.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I thought I was in pretty good shape until......

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

....I spent 2 days laying this brick pathway then I felt my age....LOL

Thumbnail by bigred

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.