Here's one for Carolyn

Longboat Key, FL

These are this year's Vagabonds. There are about three plants in here.

But, what causes one of them to have the two-shaded leaves? I think that I had this last year, too.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Does any other "tomato guru" wish to make a suggestion?

(o_O)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't think Carolyn visits DG everyday....

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I don't think Carolyn visits DG everyday

I do, but I've just been incredibly busy the past few days getting seeds out for trial to the commercial places I trust, as well as dealing with SSE requests and also getting seeds to many tomato friends. OK, and reading some books I can't put down and watching a bit of tennis from Indian Wells in CA.

Back to leaf symptoms.

Whenever I see much lighter foliage at the top of the plant as you show and also the same yellow areas where the leaves attach to the stems, both areas of new growth, I ASAP think of herbicide damage. Maybe you used some, maybe it was drift from a neighboring area, but that's what it looks like to me.

Different herbicides give different colored symptoms and I'd have to take a look to tell you the right one. Probably glyphosphate, ROUndup, but I'd have to check that out.

Why the neighboring plants aren't affected I can't tell you unless the affected plant was a barrier to the others.

And if not that start thinking of something like TLC virus, but if your plants have had this before I'm sure you'd know about that.

Carolyn

Dearborn, MI

AS Always, Carolyn has some great info. A couple of years back, we had the exact same look. It turned out to be the herbicide sprayed on the field next to the garden. The plants took a hit, but did come back to produce tomatoes. Nancy

Longboat Key, FL

Carolyn -- I think that you are a genius.

It is one of a cluster of plants that seeded themselves from last year's Vagabonds. But -- it is the plant in the front of this group.

And, our gardener did use Roundup around the edges of the stone (which replaced our lawn). Some must have drifted onto this plant.

Please call upon me if you need any recommendation to gain entry into the TOMATO HALL OF FAME.

Be well

(o_O)

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

flyboy...I had the same thing happen to me last year for a row of about 6 tomatoes that were being encroached upon by bermuda grass. I sprayed what I thought was a low, light spray on only the grass leaves. Sure enough about 7-10 days later my tomatoes looked like yours. To add more evidence in the same row about a few feet further down there was no discoloration where I didn't spray. That stuff (Roundup) must migrate. I wish it was as effective on the Bermuda grass as it is on the tomatoes.

Longboat Key, FL

I must confess that my "yellowing" has cleared up on most of the leaves. It is still evident, however, on the lowest branches.

So -- I know that Carolyn was -- and is -- correct.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

This year's deluges have drowned my seedlings -- almost.

So I have started a new batch, indoors, in baby clay pots. They are starting to poke their heads out. How soon can I put (and leave) them outside, in the sun and fresh air?

I won't transplant them until they start leafing out and are a few inches tall.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

I believe that I would wait until they at least have their first set of true leaves fully open. Then I would introduce them to the great outdoors slowly and gently, a little bit at a time.

Longboat Key, FL

It's just that they are getting leggy.

Be well

(o_O)

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Legginess is often from to little light so... If it is warm enough outside you might try putting them out for short periods at a time. watch them really close. A small seedling can fry really fast if it's not used to the sun.

Longboat Key, FL

Thank you. It's not easy trying to beat the supermarkets.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Ya, No kidding...

Longboat Key, FL

But I have to keep trying.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2014 8:27 PM

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

Me too FyBoy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.