whitebear's greenhouse saga back at it

Gentry, AR

hay guys we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/984156/
for a little catchup i had to drop my full account i couldn't afford it right now but got a dmail from "Imagesoart" checking up on me and then was checking my dmail today and saw that someone payed for my full account to be opened again wonder who did that.
so i will be starting back up with the pictures and the the crazy ideas and building plans
so stay tuned. i'll try and get some pictures up this week
"whitebear"

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Welcome back, you've been missed.

Gentry, AR

thanks cathy4 i missed everyone. and its been bad not being able to read all the post glad to be back.
whitebear

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Glad to see you back too! Things have been bad for a lot of folks. The good news is you can go back and read what you missed to get caught up. Hang in there!

I really enjoyed your greenhouse threads and learned so much.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

so glad you are back and many thanks to the wonderful person for your membership. I was blessed with a membership as well, cause we are just trying to figure out what we are going to do since DH lost his job and with all his medical issues he can't get disability. We are on round 2 for the disability.....

I'm growing a TON of seedlings out in hopes of making some extra money at the farmers markets and a few plant sales at my home..... will be starting a thread soon on the venture.

Blogs are good, are you also on Face book? do your blog connected to a Face book account and that will generate a lot of traffic for you.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures..... How are the fish doing?

Janet

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Welcome back WB... missed you.
There's definitely been some very generous folks here at Dave's... several people have been gifted by the membership fairies... it's wonderful to see folks come together and help out.
Looking forward to catching up on all your wild and crazy schemes!
Jay

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I sure missed reading all of your adventures. Its tuff out there in Ca also. This is the best part of my work day right now,lol

Los Gatos, CA

Yahoo! I can't wait to see what our new adventures will bring us!
We sure missed you!

Gentry, AR

well guys next week i'm ether start on a compost separator/worm harvester or
hydroponic strawberry tubes or a living veggie wall. i'll see which one i can fit in between moving the two greenhouses "again"
oh just put in 3 dozen goose eggs and 4 dozen duck eggs and 2 dozen chicken eggs in the incubator. so hopefully in less than a month i'll have a few chicks running around here.
so the madness begins again wahaaaa.
whitebear

Gentry, AR

here's some of the eggs

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

do you think i over work my boys.
and the fury one is one of the new additions to the family his name is rocky7

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

here is the other addition to the family her name is ewa she didn't like the snow very much

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

here is the start of the season

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

some more this is it for tonight got to go treat my poison ivy. it spread from my elbow up my arm then down to the middle of my belly "i won't gross you out with pictures lol" catch yall a little later.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well those new plants are a welcome sight, can't wait till I have some as well..

boxers, are wonderful, you will really enjoy them.

Cute 2 legged son.....lol

Janet

Los Gatos, CA

I just got some strawberry starters. I was going to sink them in the ground, but a hydroponic tube sounds interesting..... I have a hydroponic planting fountain that I grew gourds in last year. The plant was so large it looked like that man eating plant in the play, Little Shop of horrors" so we named it Audry 2. (Like the plant in the play.) Anyway, it produced lots of little gourds, but they eventually fell off. (not so good at gourds) I don't think they liked the greenhouse, when it came to producing gourds.

Do strawberries need a lot of plant food? And is it too soon to start tomato seeds? What do you have started?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Imagesoart

I just started indoors on heat mat 6 varieties of tomatoes now, so for your location I would think it isn't too early.

Janet

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

kids do need time to play and blow off steam. what a beautiful puppy.

Gentry, AR

thanks janet and yes i love boxers
hay Imagesoart strawberries do like a good compost mix. i'm going to feed mine in the hydroponic tubes with compost tea and worm casting tea and maybe a little fish emulsion
as for the tomatoes not to early at all i have about 800 planted so far but not separated into 4 and 6 packs yet. i even have cukes and squash planted up i'm in zone 6
hay cathy i agree with you on that "we work hard and play harder" lol
my dad made up my mind about what to make next week when i was hauling some materials from the lumber company. i was telling him about the hydroponic tube idea and he bought the material and told me to make 2 for him and 2 for me so i guess thats that lol
here is the starting material.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

We need a tutorial on the strawberry tubes. :)

Gentry, AR

i will. lol i'm going to start on it this week end i hope if i don't have to help my buddy plow his field

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh that is a wonderful idea.... for the strawberries.

so I guess cut out spots and then fill the tube with good compost, then tuck the strawberries in the cutout like you would on a strawberry pot?

this is just all guess, so don't keep me hanging too long...LOL

Janet

ps white size pvc is that you have and how tall are you making yours?

thanks so much for sharing new ideas with us?

Gentry, AR

the pipe is 4" pipe and i'm going to cut strait across the pipe then heat it up and pull out part of the pipe to make a lip so to speek. here is a drawing of what it will look like.
the pipe will be 5 ' tall and i will be filling one with vermiculite and the other with peat-moss with a drip tip at the top to drain into the pipe i plan on putting a cap on the bottom and drilling holes in it so that the water will drain threw then i will have a tub to catch the water with a small pump to pump the water back up to the top and start the cycle again.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

what are you going to heat the pipe with? a heat gun, mine gets pretty darn hot....

Where did you come across this idea???

funny thing I just came across this thread, check this out. the pumping of the water is just what you need for your pipe.

Janet

http://www.windowfarms.org/

Gentry, AR

hay meadowyck going to try different things from a heat gun or a torch but have to be careful not to burn the pipe i might try my steamer that i steam wood with and see if i can get the pipe hot enough. if i could fit it into the oven i could do it that away because i have done smaller pieces that way before. but i'm open to ideas if any out there if not you know me i'll keep at it till i "geter done" lol
whitebear

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

whitebear

you are a man after my own heart. My DH just shakes his head at me at time with what I come up with.... right now I'm working on get 300 milk jugs winter sowed.....

Yes if your pipe was shorter I would say the oven would work. I've used the oven to make a round pvc into an oval.

Janet

Gentry, AR

oh and thanks for the link checking it out now

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking a heat gun and a putty knife to bend it out? But the heat gun will probably bubble the pvc a bit.

Gentry, AR

yep it might but i'll give it a try and see. and i'll let y'all know and i will be taking pictures threw the hole proses even the mess ups
whitebear

Northern Rivers NSW, Australia(Zone 7b)

Great idea , I recon you could grow almost anything , especially herbs , cut and come again stuff . Now to make it rotate to get even light . Keep them coming (ideas) ....

PS . I don't like snow either ..

Holty...

Gentry, AR

hay janet i know what you mean about the spouse shacking their head i don't think my wifes head ever stop with me around
and holty my dads thinking of trying lettuce in them so that he can cut some leafs off and let it still keep growing. going to call it the endless salad bowl. lol
whitebear

Gentry, AR

hay has anyone been using electro-culture in their gardens if so how has it worked for you?
i'm going to try and see. i collected about 60 one gallon tin cans and going to use these for my watering and feeding in the garden. going to sink them in the ground with about 1" lip out of the ground then put a little hay in the bottom with horse manure on top the when its time to water just fill up the can so i will be feeding and watering all at once.
good idea bad idea. let me know
whitebear

Northern Rivers NSW, Australia(Zone 7b)

What are the cans , steel , zinc , galv ? Again go for it .
Interested to see the results and what are you going to grow in them ?
My brains says , soil PH both short and long term as the cans start to rust ?

Have fun . Isn't that what its all about .

Gentry, AR

hay holty the cans are tin and i will be planing beside them not in them the hay an manure will go in the cans and and will seep out holes in the bottom. as for the ph not sure but did find a guy that has been using them for 20 years and he said he didn't see much change in the ph so i guess we'll see and i will keep records and take some test of the soil and see
whitebear

Los Gatos, CA

If your are worried about the tin in the soil, you could use plastic milk jugs, I guess.

Meadowyck, great website, window farms, I going to try some of their ideas.

In the mean time, I am going to try the strawberry tube idea.

Gentry, AR

dang guys i thought it was spring yesterday it was in the 60's and look at what happened today. for some reason my tiller isn't working very well in this stuff lol well i guess i will get to work on the strawberries tube. dang i wanted to do some planting outside.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh no, I hear that white stuff was coming our way, but just today the weather (which they really don't know what they are talking about half the time) folks said we will just be getting rain, not snow....

Oh muddy dogs, I hate this time of year......

Janet

Gentry, AR

ok here we go going to get the tubes for the strawberries cut today.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

measuring the pipe to cut in half at 5 foot. this will give me two tubes.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

cutting the tube in half

Thumbnail by gthumbus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.