Starting peas indoors?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings Everyone,

I've rented a plot from a community garden here in Maryland. (I'm so excited) But because of the heavy snows and now rain, the opening date for using the garden has been pushed back. (I think we are looking at April 1st now) I've never grown peas or for that matter many different types of vegetables before and I need some advice.
Years ago, I recall reading that peas could be starting indoors. I went web searching last night and discovered this contraption. (Root trainer) http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/6196?cid=ppp000003&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Spring%2009%20Specific&utm_term=Seed%20Starting

And wondered if anyone had any experience with it. I also am hoping that someone would be willing to share any info they may have about starting peas indoors.
Thanks In Advance!!
Marlene

Thumbnail by Marlene4
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Marlene, Welcome! I don't have any experience at all with peas, but that looks pretty neat. Someone will come along to help you soon. Good luck with your plot, sounds exciting!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Marlene, I have used Park's root trainers and they do work. However, if you want to get your peas started refer to this thread for a very local and current discussion on the matter:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079014/

Start at 9:04PM March 12 and continue to the end. In short, germinate them indoors NOW and immediately pot them up in anything and place them outside so they are acclimated as sprouts. Transplant when the plots are open and you should get your harvest before the rising temperatures get your peas.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Peat moss does prevent damping off, and most seed starter mixes contain very fine peat. The acids and compounds that occur naturally in the peat do this. We used a compressed peat cube to root geraniums for wholesale, about 100,000/ yr.I believe it was called Ky's cube. One of the diseases that were kept in control by the peat was Botrytis. We used about 1/3 peat in our soilless mixes for a number of reasons: it held moisture and nutrients well, was lighter than soil, rarely contained weed seeds, and offered some natural disease resistance. As to sources of fine peat, just throw a handful or so in a blender or food processor and screen out the big stuff, keep in mind very dry peat take a bit to get wet and floats quite well. Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I may try some peas in oasis. I usually like to put in peas, radishes, and onions on St. Patty's Day, but don't see that happening this year. At last look I may need hip boots to cross the garden and feed the pest control crew and gather the eggs. LOL Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Ric. That's pretty much the way it is here right now. Good tip about putting the peat in the blender! Thanks!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I planted some snow peas this weekend in patio pots. I know it is not to late here to have a few for our salads. They come quick. Do not see why this would not work. I've already got a few onions stuck in the flower pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.