May Event on Whidbey

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi, Everyone,

The mid May event here on Whidbey Island is starting to come together. We're looking at Sunday, May 16. The day's events would be to start off at Meerkerk Rhodie Gardens http://www.meerkerkgardens.org/index.html at maybe around 10 a.m.; head back to my house with a stop-off at Carole/Murmur's to tour her garden; lunch, socializing, plant swapping, etc., at my house; and those who were interested, a stop at Chocolate Flower Farms http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/ on the way back to the ferry.

I know both the exec director of Meerkerk and also the owner of CCF, and I have contacted them both to see if they are avail to give us a private tour on that date. There is an entrance fee to Meerkerk, and I've asked the exec director to let me know the group rate. There is also a fabulously charming little nursery here called Cultus Bay Nursery http://www.cultusbaynursery.com/ which some may want to also check out on the way to the ferry. Again, I know the owner and if she's around, I know she'd come out and assist us personally.

So hopefully many of you can make it! I'm excited to have you all here.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2010 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by Gwendalou
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow. Sounds great, Gwen. I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds great, Gwen! Looking forward to your version of a 'round up'!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

You've got some great plans going! I hope to be able to come to the event, but don't know my schedule yet for May.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Somehow I missed this thread, but we are really looking forward to the event!

Gwen, Mike and I are both planning to come, and it looks like we are going to make a boat weekend of it. Can we arrange a pickup at the marina, if so?

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Definitely. If you phone when you get in, I'll send Jim down to the marina to pick you up. We're only five minutes away. I assume you're coming into Langley Marina, down at the end of First Street?

Yes, that's the one! Great!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay, I'm in, Melissa. What time should I show up at your place?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

:-D.

Kidding . . .

Oooohhhh..... a boatpool!

Some other time, ladies! :) That weekend is reserved for dh and me!

Pixy, Good for you for at least setting time to spend together, even if it does involve a side trip to see a bunch of crazy gardeners! Dh and I need to do that one of these days.... maybe in April.... where does the time go, anyway?

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Julie, is the Montana adventure not considered a side trip with dh?

Fortunately, my dh likes gardens, even if he is not a gardener.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Bumping this up. I hope everyone is considering it. I have a few fun activities I'm dreaming up for us, so clear your calendars for a day on Whidbey! If anyone wants to make a weekend out of it, I have one open bedroom with a double bed, plus room for a motorhome. And Whidbey has about a bazillion B&Bs, inns, and the like.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I'll be there! Looking forward to it.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Dad and I plan to be there as well! Looking forward to it! Rachel

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

This is shaping up to be a fun time! So far we have:

Gwen
Katie
Melissa and Mike
Julie (and I assume Sharon?)
Lynn
Rachel and Dad

Who else is in?!?!?

Yep, Mom will be there too. I am looking forward to seeing a bit of the island rather than just "driving through"!

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm planning in coming too.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Gwen
Carole
Katie
Melissa and Mike
Julie and Sharon
Lynn
Rachel and Dad
Linda

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 8:33 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry, I don't think I'll be able to make it. But I'll be looking forward to the pictures afterward. :)

(Judi)Portland, OR

I won't be able to make it because I have a final exam in May and it would mean a pretty long trip for me. I also will be looking forward to photos!

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

I won't be able to make it either...Family stuff. Can't wait to see the pictures, though.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have the date on the calendar, but won't know for sure until the time comes. Hopefully life will have settled down more by then.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Time to firm up a few details for our May 16th Whidbey event.

We had talked about going to Meerkerk. I contacted the Exec Director, who is an acquaintance of mine, and following is her reply. I had hoped for a bit of a break on the entrance fee. Obviously that did not happen. :( Before committing the group, I wanted to make sure everyone knew the costs upfront, so you could vote and decide whether 1, to have her 'guide' us, 2, to go on our own, or 3, not go at all.

I will say she knows absolutely everything there is to know about rhodies and most other perennials. She's also very entertaining and has a great personality. She can, and will, go on for hours, so we'd need to give her a time limit.

Here's what she had to say:

Thank you for your email!

Our season is early- yet with the late blooming rhododendrons and all the new foliage coming on after bloom, rhododendron enthusiasts will have plenty to see and enjoy.

I will be happy to give a guided tour for you and your friends, and make it worth their while.

The Gardens’ rate for a guided tour is $10 per person which includes the $8 per person admission fee.

When you have your plans firmed up, let me know the time and size of your group.

Also, if your friends have special interests, like propagation, pruning or hybridizing- or if they’d like to do some hands on fun with plants- let me know.

So you see we could have a fun customized tour. The place is lovely, so even walking around by ourselves would be really nice. They have a small nursery there, too, if you're in the market for rhodies.

Other costs involved for the day would be ferry fees. The ferry fee from Mukilteo to Clinton is $7 each way,so $14 round trip. That's just for the car. Passenger fares are charged to everyone but the driver. They are only charged in one direction (Mukilteo to Clinton direction). The charge is $4.10 per person and $2.05 for seniors.

If you're coming from a direction where you need to ride additional or different ferries, you can check the cost and times and all on the ferry websites. Just type in the name of the terminal and a link should pop up.

So the plan was to meet at Meerkerk (or at my house and carpool to Meerkerk) around 10am. If you take the 9:30 ferry, it would put you at Meerkerk around 10:15 or 10:20, so unless we want to push the time up a bit earlier, we should say everyone will plan to be at Meerkerk at that time, and not right at 10am. If you were on the 9am ferry, you'd have time to meet at my house and carpool.

After an hour to an hour and a half at Meerkerk, we'll head back down the island to Carole's house for a tour of her garden. After that, we'll come back to my house for a tour here, lunch, and some fun activities I have planned.

After that, for those who don't have to rush back to the ferry, there will be the option to go visit the Chocolate Flower Farm and/or Cultus Bay Nursery, both which are very fun and worthwhile. CFF is about 5 minutes from my house and about the same distance to the ferry as my house is. CBN is about 15 minutes from my house and is down toward the ferry, about 10 minutes from the ferry. So we can play that by ear on the day of because I don't want to rush us at either Carole's place or mine!

The good news is there should be no ferry line wait for either direction on the day of our event. I have put my order in for perfect weather.

So let me know what you all want to do about going to Meerkerk, so I can let the director know our plans and wishes.

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/
http://www.cultusbaynursery.com/
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/FaresDetail.aspx?tripdate=&departingterm=14&arrivingterm=5

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry Gwen I won't be able to come to your beautiful island.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I won't be able to come either. :(

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Golly gosh, I forgot to mention a third possibility for the end of the day. I'm acquainted with a guy who does dahlias. He typically does cuttings as well as tubers, but this year did not do the cuttings due to a big trip to Europe he took with his wife. But I know he'd be happy to have us come by his place for a 'lesson' on dahlias, growing from cuttings, or whatever dahlia topic we were interested in.

He'll be selling his tubers next week when he's back from Europe. I don't know what the charge will be but I know it'll be fair. (Last year his cuttings were $4 and tubers were $3. If anyone is interested, email me and I'll send you a listing with photos of what he had last year. I assume this year will be similar. I could pick them up for you and have them for you on May 16.

I think Meerkerk sounds lovely, as long as I can make it to the ferry in time. The photos are stunning!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Anybody have some pearly everlasting they want to share with me? I was touring a garden this morning that was all natives, or mostly natives, and they had a stand of this under a tree that I really liked it!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I can probably find some around here. I look tomorrow.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I plan to come along and meet up with some of you folk. I'll bring a flat of various starts from whatever needs dividing in the next week or so.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Gwen (Gwendalou)
Carole (Murmur)
Updated attendee list:

Katie (Katie59)
Melissa and Mike (Pixydish)
Julie (Rarejem)
Sharon (PNWmountaingirl)
Lynn (LynnWeidman)
Rachel and Dad (Rachierabbit)
Deb (Bonehead)
Linda and daughter (Thistledownfarm)
Julia (springcolor)

Maybe's:
Katie (Katye)
Judi (Portland)

Please let me know if there are any errors here...

This message was edited May 3, 2010 6:06 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I talked to her on Friday, and outtamygourd (Sheri) isn't going to make this outing.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Katie.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I have emailed directions to everyone confirmed as coming. Please let me know if you did not receive them.

Updated attendee list

Gwen (Gwendalou)
Carole (Murmur)
Sylvia (Carole's daughter)
Melissa and Mike (Pixydish)
Lynn (LynnWeidman)
Rachel and Dad and Mom (Rachierabbit)
Deb (Bonehead)
Linda (Thistledownfarm)
Julia (springcolor)
Judi (Portland)

Please let me know if there are any errors here...

Carole and I have emailed everyone directions. If you did not get them, please let me know!

Itinerary:

9:40-ish - Meet at Gwen's house for those who want to carpool to Meerkerk

10:15-ish - Meerkerk - the executive director will be giving us a tour. She is a delightful person and soooo knowledgable ($10 entrance fee)

11:45-ish - Tour of Carole (murmur)'s garden

Lunch and garden tour at Gwen's

Chocolate Flower Farm

Cultus Bay Nursery

This message was edited May 10, 2010 10:25 PM

This message was edited May 11, 2010 5:50 AM

This message was edited May 11, 2010 5:55 AM

This message was edited May 11, 2010 6:54 PM

This message was edited May 13, 2010 5:22 PM

This message was edited May 15, 2010 10:00 AM

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

So sorry that Julie and I can't make it after all. We were really looking forward to seeing DG friends and meeting some new ones. Unfortunately, family obligations come first right now.

I have quite a few tomato plants that I will be willing to share if Lynn will consider bringing them along with her. None are cherries, only full size, but I am pretty sure there are a couple of Oregon Spring and Early Girl, if anyone is interested. (Yes, just about every seed I planted did germinate!) They are currently being hardened off in 1 gallon containers. Please let me know if you are interested.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Definitely interested if Lynn can being them down. I grow every tomato I can get my hands on because I make sauce and freeze it to use during the year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be willing to take them off your hands!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.