What do you think?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Whew, you are one busy person. We also have to keep all the shrubbery well away from the house to keep the critters at bay.

I like to air layer camellias but if you have to trim quickly, I would try the bucket of sand. I believe it was Stono who told me he uses the sand bucket method. If my memory serves, you fill a bucket with damp sand, stick your cuttings and put it aside in a shady place for a while. I imagine you would use a rooting hormone and be sure to keep the sand moist. Good luck.

Raleigh, NC

thnx

Johns Island, SC

Ardesia's got it right, bonjon. I used a 5 gallon bucket that once held "Strongicid" (some horsey medicine) that a friend donated. Drilled a few small holes in the bottom, put about 8" of sand in it, filled the bucket with water and let it drain out. The cuttings were "green wood", and I did use rooting hormone on them. I covered the top of the bucket with translucent plastic (tied tight), and put it in the woods behind the greenhouse (dappled shade, no direct sun). Two months later I had 27 out of 30 very healthy rooted cuttings. To get the cuttings out without totally destroying the nice new roots, I gently filled the bucket with water and poured them out. Mistake. I couldn't pot them fast enough to keep the roots moist. So I potted as many as I could, left 12 plants in the bucket, misted them thoroughly, covered the bucket with the plastic, and went to make more potting soil... They all lived, though.

Raleigh, NC

got buckets galore^_^

Johns Island, SC

Anyone with "buckets galore" is a very lucky person, bonjon... Most usefull creation since the wheel, IMHO...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.