What is going on in N Florida #4

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Time for a new thread- spring is coming
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047069/

Thumbnail by wren107
(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Not very often I get to be the first to post. Well for all of Jeremy's friends, you will be able to find him in Booth # 112 at the Spring Garden Festival.

Jeremy, you vendor packet is on it's way.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 6:28 PM

I hope to get down there. Looking for some one to go with me??? Anyone. I have a wagon, lots of room for plants.

This is the other Diantius (?) that I have had a couple of years, it is slower to bloom.
Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Would love to make it to the festival also, but, as Jeremy said---too many things to do to get ready for spring! Have to admit, my house has gotten a little cluttered since I went to work---so hard to keep up with everything!!!

Glad to see that there is some interest in having a garden party at the shop!!! Will have to work extra hard on getting things in order around there so that I can make it happen.
Really looking forward to a get-together!!!

Purchased a lot of summer flowering bulbs today in anticipation of the warmer weather. Want some color this year & hate the same ole, same ole, that you see every spring in the nurseries!!!
Going through a lot of changes in my yard, building rooms (garden) & such, so figured that since I have so many things that went to ground---may as well move them before they come back/or don't!! Now it's time for me to get my gardens to where Iv'e always wanted them!! Did that make sense???

Will keep you posted on the get-together.

Sandy ... It all depends on what is going on here and what the $$ looks like ... But if I can I'd love to travel with ya ! =D ... That is a pretty Dianthus ... I have fallen in love with dianthus .. I actually wasn;t too thrilled with them at first ... but I had Stu pick out some flowers for a kitty's memory bed ... he chose Dianthus and I have fallen in love with them ... they have bloomed ALL Winter long ... no covering them nothing!! lol

Jeremy ... sounds like you've been really busy ... lol ... I too have been cleaning inside and outside ... getting ready for spring! I hope its spring! =D

Camilla ... I know whatcha mean about seeing and having the same ol thing ... I love having differnt colors and plants in the yard ...

Maggie gave me a candlestick tree ... does anyone know if they come back or is it an annual ... lol ... I'm hoping it will come back ... I have seeds for it around here somewhere! But This one is full grown and hoping it will start sprouting leaves ... =D

A get together at a shop sounds like a lot of fun ! =D

I'd love to go Sandy. Just need to check my calendar.

Darla

what were the dates again Sandy

I was surprised that these Dianthus did not die, I know that I have had the white one for 2+summers and it fills the pot.

I can take 3 easily. Just keep the stick after me to go. LOl

Here is a new friend at the Jacksonville Arboretum-she is usually to be found at the far end of the lake.
Meet Miss Anhinga

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

March 20 and 21 would like to go on Saturday. Just keep reminding me as the old memory is shot.

Sandy

The hubby said he'd make sure I has some $$ and can go ... As long as he didn't have to go LMAO ...
I have decided to plant as many dianthus around the yard as possible... I also have fallen in love with the ground cover verbenas ... awhile I bought a hanging planter of them from the clearance rack from Lowes, I repotted them and put some in the ground and they have multiplied & bloomed like crazy!

Hey Darla =D Here is the link to the event =D http://www.gardenfestival.org/

Don't forget to find me and introduce yourselves please. Would love to be able to put names with faces. Oh yes, they won't know me as Abbisgranma--better ask for Marion. LOL Of course, Abbi will be there and I am sure she will be running around with her grandma at times.

I hope you do enjoy the show and look forward to feed back. Laughingly, Brandy, just remember there are some things the planning committee has no control over.

Marion .... LOL ... I'm not an overly critical person ... For the most part I know its usually the vendors who are mainly unorganized ... lol ...
With as big of an event that you have I know it's going to be amazing ...
I know I probably will enjoy myself much better without having a little dog tugging at me wanting to play with all the other dogs and kids and a hubby who just hates big crowds in general will make life much more pleasant ... lol

Wonderful backlit photo of the anhinga, Sandy!

Thanks, Marion, for getting me a booth at the Kanapaha Festival. My only problem may be that I will have to tie myself to the chair at my booth so that I won't wander off due to the allure of interesting plants for sale at other booths. LOL Maybe I'll get a chance early Sunday morning to take a quick tour of the other displays. I'm thinking I will get a very cheap motel room somewhere nearby so I can stay over Saturday night and be there ready to resume my station at the festival early Sunday Morning. When I was in my last semester at U of Fla for my BA degree, I made the trip back and forth to Gainesville several times a week for classes, but what I was able to withstand in my 20s and what I'm able to do now as I quickly approach 60 years old (in May), are definitely decades apart. LOL

It is a perfectly gorgeous day outside! I want to pack up some more junk, then waft away into a delirium of gardening this afternoon. Even tedious chores like cutting back freeze damaged shrubs will be a delight in this weather.

Marion - thanks for the translation of your DG screen name. I had always looked at "abbisgranma" as one word and some sort of Turkish expression with an arcane definition. LOL

bsg - your candlestick cassia (Senna alata) will probably come back, but will most likely begin growing from the root crown at soil level unless it had some protection from the freezes. It will reach full height and bloom again within one growing season. I had a bunch of S. alata seedlings that had popped up on their own around my largest plant, but it will be a while before I know if they survived.

Jeremy

ROFLOL, Jeremy I am not so clever--just stating a new profession I had --being a grandmother. Now let's see did I place you where you will get into trouble? Hummm afraid so. Across from George Aldrich of Plants N Things, Fountainmagic (Anna Boone) who has great ponds and such, near Butterfly Meadows Gardens, Borrowed Land Nursery and in front of the food area. Have I done wrong? Not far from Taylor's Nursery, The Plant Lady, Bob Smoley shall I continue? LOL

I do look forward to meeting all who come--a group picture maybe at Jeremy's booth? Anyone up to that?

Brenda, sorry we do no allow dogs for the festival. We have had some instances occur and have decided none is the best policy. I do have some hints regarding some things such as getting your plants you purchased out of the festival area and to your vehicle, parking and such. If anyone thinks it will be worth while I can start a new thread and just put the hints there. Post your thought please.

LOl ..Hey Marion .... I wouldn't be able to handle her and look at the plants ... lol ...

I think its a great Idea to be able to have booths or stations at the exits/entrances and have the parking lot exits / entrances marked clearly as like "A" , "B" , "C" etc ... that way one can have then sent to the front ... etc... And have index cards or something mark the plants ...
This is one that can be tricky. depending on how many entrance or exits you have and how big the area is ... Or just have a designated plant pickup area. Where people can drive up and pick up their plants and etc ...

nooo ... you don't want me in that picture ... I might break the camera .....!! =d

Brandy

There are only 2 entrances--1 at the front of Summer House and 1 on the west side of Summer House by the service entrance. We have the service entrance blocked off so only vendors or other participants come through that way.

We do have a Tote N Carry which is staffed by committee members and the ROTC from Interlachen High School. They really are a great groups of kids. The idea is for visitors to tour the festival making their purchases ( please keep a record of the vendor) ; when you are finished go to the Gazebo near the front (it is identified with signs) arrange to have one or two, as the case may be, kids to take one of the wagons that are provided to go with you and collect your purchases. They will then tag and take them to a general holding area in the front. You can then go get your vehicle and drive around (please following the traffic guys directions--they do work) to have the plants loaded for you. The holding area is staffed also with ROTC members and usually their Adviser works that area with them.

If you are parked at the remote lot, take the A/C buses to your area and then drive back to load your plants. The buses do have storage areas underneath for smaller purchases and plants. They should be running on a 20 minute schedule to and from the remote parking areas. LOL have I post to much information?

That sounds great ...

Oh have you put on the website ... no pets ??

Oh is there handi cap parking?

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 6:30 PM

Oh my yes. We have it on all of our sites about pets. Yes there is a handicapped parking area directly in front of Summer House, again the traffic guys will direct you into the reserved area. Just keep in mind there isn't much area for parking normally then add a festival can complicated things. We have divide what there is into sections to accommodate everyone as best we can.

I do not have a handi cap permit but I I do have a wheelchair in the car. We can take turns riding in it.

Now I can see me telling my passengers "NO a 20 foot tree will not fit!!!" LOL

Sandy

Have gotten the plans together for the garden party/plant swap at our shop. If interested go to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/7617189/

Lori/Creative Concrete

Don't know why, but can't get it to link---check out 'Garden Party/ Plant Swap on this forum.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 10:01 PM

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 10:06 PM

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 10:12 PM

Sandy, I don't have a handi cap thingy ... lol ... I was just wondering if they had handy cap parking in general ... lol ... but I'd be more than happy to push someone around in the wheel chair =D LOL ... Sandy, can I ride with you and Darla? =D
LOL no 20 foot trees???? ::pouts:: peeeaazzzz = / lol I'll bring bungie cords and straps and tarps and lol ... j/k ... knowing me I'll buy lots of small tiny plants ... =D

Marion, sounds like its going to be a eonderful event! =D I'm excited ...

Lori, this one will works for your forum/thread ... when you do the link make sure you hit the space bar or enter button right after the link you have placed. That's what seems to work for me ... lol...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1080395/

I will mark my calender and add you to the calender! I will try to make it ... I will put it on my calender! =D And will let other Dg'rs I know here in FL and South GA know about it! =D

Have a great Day everyone! =D
Brandy

Brandy yes you and Darla can come with me--make note to self "shovel out the car, and try to remember how to put the set back up." LOL I will leave the wheelchair unless the stupid ankle gets worse.

What time would y'all like to leave here? If we leave early enough when can get a good parking place and will also have time to stop at one or more of the butterfly Farms. Oh I also know of a number of places to eat. LOL

Sandy

Sandy, there are wheelchairs than can be rented at the gardens. Actually I think it is for a donating only but will check that for you. See we try to cover every area. LOL

The wheelchair is usually for my DM, I can walk thought it would be good if I can set down some. The ankle is getting better. I had no problem yesterday so by then It might be better.

Sandy

Sandy, I'll be ready whenever you want me to be ... lol - butterfly farms - cost? pricing? =D I'll try to be prepared for it all ... lol =D

This message was edited Mar 10, 2010 6:40 PM

There are 2

With this one we need to have a list of what we want or call ahead and they will have the plants ready.
http://www.butterfliesetc.com/

I have not been to this one yet but I know roughly where it isl
http://www.greathousebutterflyfarm.com/

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Sandy, which day will yall be coming over to the fest? I would like to come on the same day and we can chat wander etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jeremy's plants.

Also, I have bought from Anna Boone's Fountain Magic here. Not too many times because everything I get from her thrives in my ponds. I have a red water salvia? that I adore.

Molly

I would like to do it on Saturday. And get there very early, You know it better than I do so you can set up the meeting place. Remind me to get your phone # and give you mine. I think I would like the water salvia! I am going to set up a larger water container.

Sandy

Anna will be right across the path from Jeremy so you can't miss her.

Greathouse Butterflies will have a butterfly house at the festival plus a booth next to the house. Booths: #162, 163. I haven't spoken with Zane this year (another committee member has handled that) but he usually has plants for sale.

Don't you dare come and go with the chance for me to meet all of you.

OK I will come with a large sign!!! LOL I will let you know what I am waring. Usually I have a extra, extra tall tee shirt on.

You could let us have your real name and phone # or we can go around yelling ABBISGRANMA!!!!! LOL

Here I am with the demon child and one of my tee shirt. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107

My real name is Marion. I would tell you I would be the one wearing a festival shirt and a green name badge but then so will others. Sending you a dmail.

Get it, Thanks.

Sandy

I will be the one with red hair ... lol ... ok it will be a reddish color by then ... lol ... gotta wash out those grey hairs that seem to have developed too early in life!! lol =D And I'll be with Sandy ... lol =D

I just keep the gray hair, I earned it. In fact my DM gave them to me!!! LOL

Sandy

LOL ... I'm 35 with gray hairs lots of them ... I'm wondering though if I'll have silver or gray or white hair ... One g-ma had white hair and the other dyes hers so she doesn't even know... lol ...
I'll hoping for silvery color ... lol =D
I have an uncle that went gray at the age of 17. he looks like a natural santa clause! Its wild going out and little kids coming up to him all the time .. especially in the winter when he grows a beard. He has short hair but its pretty funny seeing all these little kids come up to him and ask him if he's santa ... lol

Brandy

For those wishing to be recognized as DG persons, the website still has the T-shirts (a bit pricey at $18), hats, etc. Buying some of the round stickers with the DG logo might be the best way to go.

http://www.zazzle.com/davesgarden

Thanks, Marion, for getting me set up for my Classy Groundcovers booth at the Festival! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there. Christina lost her part-time job a few days ago, so I may bring her along, mostly so I can go on a whirlwind shopping spree for the other vendors' booths while she sits at my booth and stares like a deer in the headlights if anyone asks her a question remotely pertaining to gardening. LOL She has no virtually no interest in plants except she will occasionally comment on some particular beautiful flower that I bring into the house (fell in love with my yellow "dancing lady" Oncidium orchid recently, but so far hasn't commented on the stunning Lady Slipper orchids gracing the kitchen window sill). If she comes along, she will probably just want to hang out by the pool at the motel and study for her career training school, which is still going well.

I will have mostly only "virtual" plants at my booth as I just refer people to the website to place their orders. It helps me in being able to do conferences and events if I don't have to drag along a ton of plants. It would be great if I can find a battery powered laptop with wi-fi Internet so people could browse the website, but that may be down the road a bit. I'm hoping to order some plants from Classy and give them away (if I can get some cheap enough!) LOL

Jeremy

Jeremy,
Do you have a website for your ground covers? I am looking into ground covers this year ... drought tolerant flowering ones. Send me the link please =D

Brandy

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Sandy,

Just let me know what time you will be there and so will I. Only takes me 30 minutes to get into town from here. Oh BTW, I woke up last night with the correct name of that plant The Water Cardinal, not salvia. Sorry.

I will be wearing a gray DG t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans.

Yes, Jeremy, please post your website so we can see what you have in ground covers.

Molly

Jeremy,
Maybe you can get a lot of pre-sales! =D
I'll even put you on the calender with your website link if you'd like. I am also in the process of putting the calender of events on a facebook/twitter and my newly found mini website ... So people can find it who aren't on DG ... =D

Marion- have you put a Thread up about the event yet??
At this rate we should call it a Florida dg meet n greet .. lol

Brandy

This message was edited Mar 12, 2010 8:28 AM

Blackshear, GA

Hi everyone,
OOOOh, I would LOVE to go, but the distance may be a factor. How long does it take to get there from Jax? I would prefer to do a one day thing, but I hate driving long distances. It sounds wonderful! If I go, maybe I should pull a trailer. LOL

Do they have good prices or is it like buying them at a regular store?
Is it individuals also or just businesses?
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.