Spring 2010 Garden Additions

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Went to the Mid-Atlantic Garden Show Sat. It's a small show in York,Pa. Most of the well done displays are done by local landscapers. Holly gave JR the camera so we have a lot of fuzzy pics, but some good ones too. I went back at closing time on Sunday for some wheelin' and dealin'. TBC Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One of the largest displays had a small sign that said everything would be sold on the last day. After a few inquires I found that everything would be sold at wholesale. Imagine our surprise that Holly and I saw a few plants we wanted, LOL. So here they are! Ric

Mohonia 'bealei'

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 11:14 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It was no surprise that putting some green in some one's pocket worked better than plastic, and allows you to put more green in your garden. Definitely worked for me! Ric

Pieris ' japonica'

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Look at the size of this Rhododendron. I should have had a handtruck for this baby! Ric

Rhododendron ''P.J.M'. hybrid'

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Last but not least, (I just loved this one) a lungwort. Ric

Pulmonaria 'Raspberry Splash'

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So if you see in the news there was a plant hijacking in York, Pa. it wasn't me! LOL I stopped to buy a couple of steaks to grill on the way home and when I got there, still had money in my pocket. That was the best part! Ric

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Awesome!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! What a fun trip for you both, complete with parting gifts. Your new treasures look great, and sounds like you got some great deals.

We got some pieris at an end-of-season sale this past fall, and they really did a lot for the winter landscape -- until disappearing under the drifts.

Thanks for sharing your new goodies.
Pat

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I went to the show on Sat and I sent him back for the plants by himself on Sunday. I was expecting the Mohonia and the Rhododendron but told him to get whatever he liked. I could have (and did) Kissed him when he pulled out the Raspberry Splash. He had no idea that it was high on my wanted list. He also brought some decorative iron work for more shelves in the laundry room and some really cute metal dragonflies for around one of the water features. Holly

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

All you need to know about Mahonia bealei
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2097/
LOL
I have one- it has some unique qualities. There is a bunch of big old ones around a cottage in the National Arboretum in DC.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link Sally! Ric

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Nice haul Ric! Plants, steaks AND money in your pocket when you got home - way to go! You'll love the PJM Rhododendron, even though the flowers aren't a "unique" color, they bloom profusely and the foliage is gorgeous! We have a few small babies which were planted in the landscape last year - hopefully they'll grow to the size of yours rapidly! We haven't had much luck with Mahonia bealei here. In all fairness to the plant it was planted just before we had the two summers of severe drought and in an area which wasn't patrolled regularly for watering. I think out of the four we planted we've got one that's still hanging in there. Looked pitiful the first few years but after last summer's healthy dose of rain it looks like it might actually make it! :)

Great article Sally, I don't how know I missed it! There's a beautiful specimen planted along the borders at Green Spring Gardens in Alexandria. We're never been there early enough to see it in bloom but the fruit is spectacular!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally how big and old is your Mahonia? I first saw one at a garden tour and thought I remembered it as tree size maybe 7/8ft. The guy at the show said approx 5ft high and wide for this one. I'm not quite sure where I'll put the Rodie I don't think the beautiful foliage will show to it's best advantage in front of my dark stained house. I have no idea how tall it will get either. Have to look it up.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Holly, Dirr says 6'-8' but possibly as high as 12'! The Rhodie probably won't get more than 4' tall although it "can" grow to 6'. The nicest characteristic of the PJM's, IMHO, is their neat, rounded habit. They don't seem to sprawl as much as some of the other Rhodies. :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It would be nice to plant it somewhere were you can see that nice rounding habit. I have been wondering if it would get too much sun in the secret garden. Ric seems to think that is a shady area and I seem to think of it as more sunny. It is the west side of the house and the house does shade it from the sun for most of the day but it gets later afternoon and evening sun and depending how far out in the yard it will get more sun. It sure would look nice in that area. I have that almond /pale yellow siding over there. I was also wondering about the area that I started cleaning out last summer where the over grown quince is and the new tree will go. It might get enough shade from the potting shed and the arbor we are putting in.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Mahonia beali is very slow growing. Mine is at least fifteen years old, in light shade. Its about five feet. It will just have a few upright stems. Each will just add a foot of top growth a year. I will cut the tallest one of those every few years and maybe get it to branch, So VERY easy to maintain in a tight spot.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly & Ric, you made out like Bandits! I love Mahonias. They are soooo beautiful. Mine is not slow growing at all. Of course, everything is relative. Compared to Rhodos and Laurels, they are fast growers.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2010 11:59 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.