Shade tolerant climbing vine for Zone 5?

Dayton, OH

Can anyone recommend a good climbing vine that is shade tolerant and will survive in Zone 5(b)? I have a built a long trellis along the side of my attached garage that doesn't get much sunlight (perhaps 3 - 4 hours a day during the summer months). I tried climbing roses that were supposedly shade tolerant, but to no avail. I've thought about the Virginia creeper, but I'm afraid of it being too invasive. Thanks in advance for any advice you might offer.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Some are poisonous

Celastrus scandens American Bittersweet
Lonicera prolifera Yellow Vine Honeysuckle
Menispermum canadense Moonseed Vine
Parthenocissus inserta Woodbine
Vitis riparia Riverbank Grape

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I have two clematis growing in a situation similar to yours and they are growing beautifully (they've been in place for 4 years now). If you do some checking on sites that sell clematis, they usually tell you if they prefer shade, sun, or somewhere in the middle of the two, so you could make a wise choice and still get a color you like.

Halifax, NS(Zone 5a)

You can get hydrangea that are climbing.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I plant climbing yellow dicentra in my shady spots.. It loves the shade and grows fast in the spring and summer. Blooms all season. Here where I live it dies back in the winter.
This is it in the very far background climbing the fence.(That is confederate Jasmine on the side fence). By end of season the yellow dicentra was spread twice that size and covered with little yellow blooms.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 4:02 AM

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 4:12 AM

Thumbnail by mstish
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Need your ideas: I wany climbers to self-climb on rock wall. I am in Zone 9. I need full shade to full sun varities. Thanks youll.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I think you may need some kind of mesh on the rock wall. I am not sure a vine will climb it without. Anybody know for sure?? If you have a planting surface and depth at the top of the wall - you can get things to cascade over and down the wall.

kitchener, Canada

Climbing hydranga would work well. It just won't flower as much. However if it
is allowed to climb to the roof it should flower very well. Just be patient as it takes a few
years to get started well, but after that look out!

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Additional nice zone 5 shade vines are:
akebia (chocolate vine)
dutchmans pipe
japanese honeysuckle
cinnamon vine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.