signs of spring

Arlington, TX

Some of the plants I overwintered in the garage and part of the time in a flower bed are showing signs of life. The VFT's seem fine and most of the pitcher plants, except the purpurea. I am suprised as I thought of that one as the hardiest of the bunch?
C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I have taken all my VFTs and some Sarrs. out of the fridge. I also have to pot up the rest of the Sarrs. still in the fridge as well. What a LONG, lousy winter. I am REALLY ready for SPRING!

Arlington, TX

I second that! Long and cold here too and I am so ready to be outside and work in the dirt.
C

Arlington, TX

I have a question about what you put on the top of your pots when outside. One of my VFT's got way too much rain and it washed away the soil. The pitcher plants don't have that issue as they have spagnum moss growing on the surface.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I find it difficult to keep S. purpurea, and they are my favorite. I keep trying.

I have smooth river rock in the Venus Flytrap pot, and there's a lip on the pot. I don't plant to the top.

Arlington, TX

They are growing but I guess maybe its the heat. I know that purpurea is native to cold areas.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

There are two types of purpurea. One is native to Florida, Georgia, . . . and one that is native to Canada and Michigan. I only grow the ones from Florida, so they are used to the heat, but they still struggle.

Arlington, TX

I have 2 and wonder which species/variety they are. Do you know of any characteristics that ID them as one or the other?
BTW purpurea in MI get pretty large and they are not as purple as mine are, they are more veined purple. I guess they are different in their natural habitat.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.