What is this?

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just noticed today while out in the garden trimming off a few fronds that were hanging into the walkway these little growths. I'm sure somebody here knows what they are. What I'm referring to are the little rounded projections sticking up between the regular fronds.

Thumbnail by QCHammy

Sorry, I forgot to mention this is a Phoenix sylvestris. It's about 4 years old.

noonamah, Australia

They look like the sheath of an inflorescence. I don't know at what age they can flower but that one seems a bit small for it. You'll find out soon enough though.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know if it matters but this is a cultivar 'Robusta'.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

that is indeed a flower spathe

Is that normal for a palm to bloom at this young age?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

sometimes... Phoenix are typically early bloomers. Other genera may not bloom for decades.

A quick follow up to this thread. They are as you all said flowers and based on what i'm seeing i would say that my plant is a male. Correct me if i'm wrong because i'm still a beginner when it comes to palms. I grew this and most of my other palms from seed so I didn't think I'd ever live in this house long enough to see them produce flowers.

Thumbnail by QCHammy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.