It isn't spring yet, but it's COMING!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

We have not had a daytime temperature in the 50's since last November, so the two 'warm' days this week are REALLY appreciated. On Friday I left work early to come home and put down slug bait and Milorganite on a hosta bed and top it with mulch. It felt SO GOOD to be outside working!

The daffodils, hyacinths and tete'a'tete narcissus have had their noses peeking out of the frozen ground for weeks, but yesterday I noticed the allium sprouts emerging too.

This morning I awoke to the plaintive call of the mourning doves and heard the Canada geese honking as they circled the neighborhood. Spring isn't here yet, but it's coming!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I've seen more Canadian Geese in these last few days than I have since fall. My dafs and tulips are also poking their heads up. I'm getting ready to plan my veggie garden with my dad so I know spring is almost here!!

Daffs and tulips poking up here too.....I did plant some spinach, lettuce and radish out in the cold frame...so I know Spring is right around the corner!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Maybe I spoke too soon - 5 inches of snow last night - today's the first day of Spring and they say more snow is on the way...

Same here!! I don't know how many inches we have but I would say it's at least 4 inches. Waiting on round 2 to hit us around noon which is when I have to be in at work today. Grrrr....

Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm here is ST. Louis and they say we are only going to have snow showers. My daylillies and bulbs are about 3 inches out of ground. I hope this does not affect them. For last 3 weeks it has been in 50-60's. Yesterday it was 68 degrees now talk of snow showers.

The snow and temps won't affect them. They are used to this type of weather. :~)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It Spring today!

Here's snowing now... Raining this early am and then ice now snowing weird weather which is mean last frost as I think so more again tomorrow...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hows this for the first day of Spring?! At least its Spring. I wish I had gotten a photo of the Crocuses yesterday in full bloom, they were real pretty.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Dealing with about 8 inches of snow right now and will probably see 10 inches tomorrow. I'm loving it.....NOT!! LOL. I would but I want to get my garden tilled so I can plant my veggies but it's waaay to wet to till!!

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Pepper - We put the cold crops in but also covered them with a row cover and overall plastic on a frame. The DH was out yesterday clearing the snow off of the top of the outer cover.

Leawood - As always your yard looks great. Looks like tulips coming up in the bed. Should be very pretty.

Maryland Heights, MO(Zone 6a)

Well I think St. Louis missed this storm. They were predicting snow coming from KC but as of yet we didnt get anything. I'm very happy.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Be happy about that. We have 8 to 10 inches in our yard. The DH has been out using the snowblower again this weekend.

A reminder that Family Tree in OP, KS is having their open house today.

SusanKC

We also got around 10 inches here. But it's all melting pretty quickly too which is great!!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's the view of my pond this morning.

I got a pic of my pond too! Well, not a pond yet..lol, just a trash can! : ) But, if these Cattails grow I can get a photo maybe! I dug these 2 clumps up from a ditch this afternoon, I just hope they grow. I shoveled some snow into the trash can first for some muddy water for them later. I threw in some Cattail seed heads so maybe little seedlings will grow in there too. Now if I just knew where water-lilies and lotuses grew wild!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My water lilies are rampant. Hit me up in a couple weeks and I'll make divisions for you. This is 'Colorado'.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure of the name of this yellow variety, but it is prolific too. You're welcome to divisions of each, if you want.

Thanks LeawoodGardener, if your asking me. I'd gladly have some divisions. I'm trying to get a water-pond going on the cheap, divisions don't get any cheaper, and yours look nice too! : ) I'm gonna start digging soon, digging should be okay in a muddy mess!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It will be a couple more weeks before I can make divisions, but, as you can see, the water lilies are starting to put out leaves. The strings across the pond are my current 'deterrent' system to keep the herons from raiding my fish.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My Tete-a-Tete Narcissus are blooming now. The King Alfred daffodils on the south side of the house have been blooming for several days. It won't be long now!

My daffies haven't started blooming yet but a few have buds. My hyanciths are still just shooting up leaves so I have awhile to go on them.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

While cleaning out a bed on Thursday I could not resist photographing the sedum, just awakening after the winter. The rosettes looked so tender and lovely I had to capture them to enjoy later.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2010 9:55 AM

Nice Sedums, Leawood. They look kinda like Hens and Chicks!
Heres our Weeping Cherry tree by the porch all bloomed out. I may need to straighten it up some later. It was planted kinda close to the porch too.

Well, I did it again, forgot the photo!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Your weeping cherry is out early! Probably due to the sheltered location - mine has not started to bloom yet.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Today I noticed my weeping cherry has just started to bloom.

Ours is starting to turn green already. It was in nice bloom for about a week.
I'd get a photo but its raining, thats good for the potted plants and stuff, but not good for mud! lol

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

LOL - What a difference a day makes - here's the weeping cherry today.

Nice. Yours has been around for awhile, its much bigger than the one here.

I like weeping cherries. Weeping redbuds are cool too. We have one at Powell Gardens in front of the Chapel (or is it the back? I can't ever figure that out. lol)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a weeping redbud, but it isn't in bloom yet - lots of buds, though.

Our Redbud must not be happy where its at, and my friend could be right that its the soil, its real clayey and awful. It looks dead, no buds. I told my friend last year I think its dead, but it got leaves real late.
Heres the Weeping Cherry here today, nearly all green. The stuff on the porch is stuff from Spring Hill that came today, I was unwrapping it and watering the stuff. They weep more on one side, which is normal, I was wondering whats our's gonna do in a few years?! It is weeping over the porch! I'm gonna need to dig it up, I think I would anyway because its crooked.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's my weeping redbud, almost ready to bloom this afternoon.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

There is a river of muscari in my border this week! This all started a few years ago when I planted 100 bulbs in this border - they have multiplied beyond my belief!

Tomah, WI

Spectacular! Love the Muscari!

I like the Muscari too, hope you don't mind its my desktop image now! I replanted/transplanted that Weeping Cherry yesterday, I turned it around and moved it away from the porch a couple feet. I wanted to wait till today to post a photo in case I killed it moving it, but this morning it looks fine. I'm glad, my friend paid quite a bit for it, and well, I like where I live! lol Here it is today -
I also replanted/transplanted a dissected Japanese Maple that was also a pain, but I potted it in a very big black pot successfully, again very glad! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Good for you! I'm sure it will appreciate having more 'room to grow'!

Your weeping redbud is different from the one at PG. Theirs is low to the ground, maybe 2 feet tall. Doesn't get any bigger either. But I like yours. Stands out better.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I had never seen a weeping redbud and 3 years ago (about this time of year) I was at Family Tree Nursery and they had one on the edge of their parking lot, in full bloom.

I know a couple of the nursery guys there, so I asked about it and Steve said, "Oh yeah, we have a couple of those." It was kinda pricey, but I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket - by coincidence, the gift certificate and the price of the weeping redbud were EXACTLY the same amount ($150), so I snapped it up (my GCA membership gave me a 10% discount, which barely covered the tax).

I proudly got it home, planted it and worshiped every bloom (I think it had about 20 blossoms the first year). One day, a few weeks later, I was at Westlake Hardware and saw the same, EXACT weeping redbud (same 5 gallon bucket and everything) for $50!

THAT is why I stop at every nursery and garden center I see. You never know what you will find!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.