Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: It isn't spring yet, but it's COMING!, 1 by LeawoodGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LeawoodGardener

In reply to: It isn't spring yet, but it's COMING!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of It isn't spring yet, but it's COMING!
LeawoodGardener wrote:
I had never seen a weeping redbud and 3 years ago (about this time of year) I was at Family Tree Nursery and they had one on the edge of their parking lot, in full bloom.

I know a couple of the nursery guys there, so I asked about it and Steve said, "Oh yeah, we have a couple of those." It was kinda pricey, but I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket - by coincidence, the gift certificate and the price of the weeping redbud were EXACTLY the same amount ($150), so I snapped it up (my GCA membership gave me a 10% discount, which barely covered the tax).

I proudly got it home, planted it and worshiped every bloom (I think it had about 20 blossoms the first year). One day, a few weeks later, I was at Westlake Hardware and saw the same, EXACT weeping redbud (same 5 gallon bucket and everything) for $50!

THAT is why I stop at every nursery and garden center I see. You never know what you will find!