The Saga of the Pine Bark Fines

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Look for this at Lowe's. All stores may not have it.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I will. Thank you!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I should add. I strongly advise anyone NOT to buy these other Evergreen products:
Topsoil, Manure, Humus or Potting soil. These are poison. I made one of my biggest gardening mistakes ever by using them. I used them in '08 and some of my plants still haven't recovered. The ones that didn't outright die that is.

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

Did they also killdawabbit? ;-)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

It's probably not that the Evergreen Products: Topsoil, Manure, Humus and Potting Soil are actually poison (phytotoxic), but more likely that when they are combined in various combinations for use in container culture that they might as well be (because the mix would be so poor, structurally speaking).

Al

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Fertisorb, if only they could.
Al, I messed up. I was talking about using the other products in landscaping. Temporarily forgot I was in the container forum. But the way my plants reacted they just might be toxic. Never seen anything like it. Maybe it is because they are mostly sand. I call them black sand.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Al do you use the same mix as you listed before for large pots, for use when transplanting seedlings after they grow their first true leaves. thanks for your help. I think the bark fines mix that i got at Lowes is pine fines, altho does not say so on front of bag. Donna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes - I would transplant seedlings directly into either the 5:1:1 (pine bark:peat:perlite) or into the gritty mix (equal parts of Turface, crushed granite, uncomposted pine or fir bark).

Al

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's good to know. This year, as a rank beginner, I've bought all the plants I'm trying to grow. Next year, I start with seeds....

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Al, I think I will try both the 5-1-1 and the gritty mix. Donna

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I don't know if they still carry it but "Grow Rite" used to carry a finer (Smaller)grade of Pine Bark Mulch. If you have a store nearby you might call and see if they still carry it. also many stores carry an Orchid MIx in a small quantity (which is usually Redwood Bark), and might be suitable, although much more expensive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.