Eyeing new (larger) greenhouse for Spring

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I quickly learned that my 6x8 was not going to work for me this winter, and suspected such in the late fall. Costco has an 8x12 Kensington Classic on sale for $1299 that seems like a good buy, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any experience with that model/brand. It comes with 4 mm twin-wall polycarbonate glazing which carries a 12 yr warranty, and the frame (aluminum) is powdercoated and warranted for life against corrosion and rust. It looks like a nice GH, and I think it would better suite me (size wise) than what I have now. Thoughts?

Lake, MI

I have one the same size but a Rion. It looks good to me and I love the bench idea wish mine had come with one instead of having to buy benches.
And the warranty is better on the frame. I think it is a good deal in deed.

Amos

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

And just when I see that deal (this morning), I got a Harbor Freight flyer today in the mail, advertising the 10x12 for $600. I'm just nervous about that one because I've read some not-so-positive experiences from others about how they had to make a lot of modifications to them. But if it's a $600 savings in cost, whatever costs for mod's could be worthwhile.

I'll have to dig around on here to see more detail about the HF GH to see exactly what issues they had. Any HFGH owners who happen to view this, by all means, chime in with your feedback, please!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm a researcher by nature, and it was bugging me that I couldn't find out who manufactured the Kensington Model. It appears by looking at the picture of it, compared to this one: http://www.supplyhero.com/Systems-Trading-EasyGrow-8x12-Greenhouse.1685.54366.3.htm that it's the same company (at least, the two GHs appear to be almost identical except the length/panels). In that vein, does anyone have positive/negative feedback on their STC/Easygrow GH?

The height of the HFGH is also a bit more than I want/need in my yard (though the size -- 10x12 -- would be awesome). I don't have much yard, and don't want my GH to look like it "owns" the yard. I think to fit it in aesthetically, I'd have to dig down into the ground a foot or so all around and have it semi-sunk with a foot or so all around it since I can very well pile dirt against the glazing panels. But I don't want to become overburdened in making so many modifications to something just to save a couple bucks, either. Make sense?

Yes, I'm a sufferer of analysis paralysis when it comes to this stuff. :(

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Kensington classic looks identical to my Easy Grow. Great price

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Costco also has the EasyGrow Black Clearview for the same price ($1299), which is what I really wanted to begin with last year (black frame vs. green or silver). It's identical to the other EGGH, except the side panels are not twin-wall but clear snap glass, which I have now and love for the beauty. I've been able to insulate with bubble wrap and foil/bubble wrap, and would probably do the same with this one next year. Twin wall all around would be nice, but I do like the snapglass as well.

The other difference is that the roof panels (twin wall) are also bronze tinted to act as a shade cloth. Not sure if that would suffice in the full, blazing sun of summer, but I like the concept and look.

I think I'm going to renew my Costco membership and get this black one. It's like love at first sight! *sigh*

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11474083&search=greenhouse&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Mo=58&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Sp=S&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=4014757&whse=BC&ViewAll=59&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=greenhouse&Ntt=greenhouse&No=9&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

SOLD ... and en route in 10-14 days! Perfect! I might just get lucky and have it in time to construct during my college spring break!

SUN CITY WEST, AZ(Zone 9a)

A few words of wisdom.
Boats, warehouses, and greenhouses.
Never been one built that was big enough.
LOL

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Amen, Chucki! LOL

On a side note, do you know what "BOAT" stands for?

Bring On Another Thousand ... and having grown up in a boating/fishing community, I can certainly attest to the validity of that statement!

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

add motorcycles to your list.. cause what you start with is not usually what you end up with...lol..

enjoy your new baby once its set up...

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

LOL @ the motorcycles! I know that one, too, as my hubby has a HD Sportster that has seen more mods than my GH!

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

Im the exception to that rule though I have the same size bike I started with 6 yrs ago and feel no need to upgrade...lol. I have plenty of power when I need it.
. Im still trying to figure out how big I want my greenhouse.. I wont be able to upgrade so I want to get it right the first time.. Ive got an idea of 10x 24 should be big enough for wintering over and starting my seeds ..Id rather have to much space than not enough...lol..

Omaha, NE

I own the 8x12 Easy Grow from Cosco for a year now. Im learning ways to keep it cool in summer & warm in winter. Its a great house. I started & grew flowers for my daughters fall wedding last year. Kept them from hail, wind & insects. The construction of the frame, walls & shelves was pretty easy but I have to tell you the rubber seals that go around all the panels was a nightmare, especially on the roof panels, on a ladder at an angle, wow! That alone took us 2 days. We tried using silicone spray, canola oil & sewing machine oil with a dull knife to tuck it in. It helped a little but still hard to do. Just wanted to warn you of the extra time & labor involved with three people doing it. But I still love it.

Blkravon2, 12x24 will give you 48 more sq. ft of floor space, Sure you don't want to reconsider? LOL

Chuck

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Kwallflower -- I downloaded & read through the instructions for assembling the Clearview model I bought, and it doesn't show or say anything about this seal you mentioned. Joanna mentioned the same issue to me via dmail, but I can't see anything in my instructions, nor is it listed in the parts list.

I know somewhat what a chore it will be though, after having to install these plastic snap things in my current greenhouse. I had sore thumbs for a week after that! I did read where several people with this model who faced the same problem successfully used a silicone caulk instead of the seal all around, and I will probably do that either way. I'm wondering if it can be done as I get each panel installed vs. waiting until the very end. That way, I can go through the roof to insert the stripping or caulk from a ladder vs. up the side and leaning over the roof (had the same issue with my current GH, and it was troubling).

Thanks much for the feedback!

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

chuck, Im building this greenhouse out of recycled windows sliding glass doors and shower doors.. it wont be pretty but it will be useable...lol..that was just a rough idea of the size Im shooting for based on the number of windows Ill need to collect and the size of them.. if I can get enough windows then it will be bigger.. but while I do have the room to have most anysize Id like trying to keep in warm in the winter will an bigger issue the bigger it gets...lol... this is going to be one of Kathleens BIG adventure cause I have no idea about how to build this.. but thats never stopped me before..lol..

Blkraven2
I remember some cold winter days I spent just west of you (Plainview TX.)
How are you going to heat and cool your greenhouse?
Chuck

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

weve a fair number of sunny days during the winter so passive solar/ bubble wrap for heating.. average temp in jan is in the 40s.but Ive lived here for 4 yrs now and have been outside in a tank top and jeans in jan working in the yard...lol..this year was unsual with severe temps.. Im doing the bottom 3 feet solid with insulation.. black cement pavers and gravel for flooring will help heat it too.... Im going to use it primary for wintering over and seed starting.. the area Im planning on placing it in has some trees but in the spring they havent leafed out and in the summer they will help cool it along with fans.. Id say by late april/early may it will be empty and wont be filled back up till late nov.. I want to try things that I havent been able to try due to fears of losing them like citrus and several other things.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 8:13 PM

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Got an email late last night ... my greenhouse has shipped and is en route with a targeted delivery date of Monday! Woohoo!!! Looks like I may be able to get started over my college spring break with erecting it (once the foundation is ready).

blkraven2 Best of luck with your project.
Chuck

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

sending helpful vibes for a smooth set up.. and take pics!!! we love pics!!!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Post pics and let us know what you are doing.
I have looked at the GH's many times, but I am frozen in time trying to make up my mind.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Did it arrive?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

It did arrive ... on Monday. I have it in another room of the house for now until I can get time to start laying out parts and looking through everything. I'm going on Sunday to get the materials for the base/foundation. Next week is spring break from my college classes, so I'm hoping to get started on it then.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

How exciting!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, I'm about 95% of the way done! Only need to add the trim pieces to the sides, hang the doors, and put the shelf tops in (after I get a couple small bricks to support the legs, given the foundation raised the entire GH up about 4" (I used 4"x6" pressure treated lumber for the foundation).

I must say that -- while there are a lot of parts -- this greenhouse was very easy to put together given the clear, detailed instructions (pictures & written directions), and care taken by the manufacturer to label every single part!

One detail I was having a really hard time finding an answer to is using mulch in the greenhouse (under the shelves). I decided on cedar to help prevent insects, and the nursery I sometimes go to said if I used anything, to use cedar for that reason, as well as because it won't break down like regular mulch. But when I've searched for others' experiences, I can't find much. Anyone else using a similar ground cover in their GH that would mind offering up their experience/suggestions?

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 6:37 AM

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

It's Done!!! Woohoo!!!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Let the planting begin!

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow! Great Job. It looks huge. When are you going to start putting stuff in there?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Joanna -- for the comment as well as your help!

I need to run to Lowes for a filter for my outdoor spigot, then when I get back, I'll move the plants I have growing in the house in my make-shift greenhouses so I can once again use my dining room for something other than a nursery! LOL

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

it looks great and Im so envious!!!
while ceder is your best bet mulch wise I would think gravel would be better it will help retain needed heat.. a yard of gravel is all youd probably need and where I live its about 35.00 when you buy it in bulk.. Im planning on using gravel and black pavers in mine for that reason

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks blkraven2. I wish I had a vehicle to get the stones (in bulk vs in bags) or I would have done that to begin with. I need to connect with a friend of mine who has a truck that we can get a load of pebbles, but it will probably be closer to fall when I do that.

I went to Lowes and Home Depot, as well as a specialty nursery near my home, and not one of them has a filter for the outside spigot. I'm trying to keep from having the hard water spots on my polycarbonate like I did with my other one. It wasn't super bad, but it was enough that I want to get on ASAP. Does anyone know where I can find such a device? I know I've seen them somewhere, but can't recall where.

Mechanicsville, VA

Try here--this is what I use, the Fine Water Filter.
Little Greenhouse / ACF Greenhouses
Here is a link :
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/garden2.shtml

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

Ive a truck and many times my girlfriends will borrow it to get their stuff in bulk...its so much cheaper when you can do that.. I find its easier to rake what ever Ive got in the truck in to the wheel barrow than have to lift and carry bags of mulch and stone. much easier on this old body..lol..

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

RD -- do you use it with a mister, or just connected to the hose spigot and then the hose on the other side/end of the filter?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

This one at home depot (which they only sell online; not in store, as I found out when I went to buy it today) appears to be the same thing but for half the price.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100485933

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.