Anyone grow black raspberries?

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Just wondering! I had some once and they were yummy!

How hard to grow? Zones? Pests?

Piedmont, SD

Easy to grow,but full of sharp thorns!Leave plenty of space,the canes get tall and start to bend over without some support or pruning. Mine was loaded with purple berries at three years.I live in zone 5.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Are black rasberries just another name for what I call blackberries, or are they an entirly different thing? I think I am going to learn something here. Thanks

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks TyLaw!

Dlmcgrw, Blackberries still have that little stem inside them, Black Raspberries are just like red raspberries but a different color (doh, I'm a great explainer, aren't I, lol) They have a different taste than blackberries, too- I think sweeter.

I think I saw a site for thornless ones, I'll have to look around. I wonder if it would get too hot for them here.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

This shows various berries and the zones they grow in. I ordered the Anne raspberry and Baba Berry because they are the most likely to do well in my zone. Raspberries have a reputation for liking more chill hours than is normal here. I also got a Navaho thornless blackberry. I figure if they work, I can go back for more or propagate from these starts.

http://www.willisorchards.com/category/Berry+Plants

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Another difference between Blackberries and Raspberries is that Blackberries have ridiculously long canes - but you can tip prune them early - by mid-June here? - and they will branch. Triple Crown is the variety recommended here.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Loganberry is a thornless cross of raspberries and blackberries,however the berries are red.
I received mine from Stark Brother's
Their latest catalog has 3 for $16.99
They also carry a thornless boysenberry for $7.99 each
I think they are also a cross.
They also list 9 thornless blackberries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.