growing cannas from seed 2010

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I agree that it does transfer.. I had a bunch last year and i though they looked bad cause they wern't in full sun.. Now that I have learned about the virus, i know most in that seedling garden were infected.. Thankfully I planted them all on the other side of the yard from where my other cannas are.. Not sure if i will just toss them all or plant them to see which were infected.. It sucks tossing over 50 canna seedlings, but better then tossing my whole collection.. This year I started them in pots and i'm really watching them (only 2" now) to see if there safe.. But they too will be planted away from others for this season..
jen

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I didn't know they were infected, thought the same thing smurf. I am so sorry, Grayson.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

CaYMV does transmit via seed. I have several varieties it has come through in every seedling. I do not keep these seedlings.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

No i would destroy them also.. my problem is that they are all dormant and i dont know which ones have it and which dont.. There just all labeled seedlings.. But now that i have a bigger collection this year, i think i will just trash the seedlings from last year.. I started 47 of them this year and dont really need to deal with the old ones now...
all the seedlings are planted separate and some distance so no to transfer the virus if they have one.. Well until the bugs come out anyways..
jen

Syracuse, NY

More seeds I had given up on are germinating: seeds from my original planting.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

hopefully you have better luck garyon, I have about 12 that came up from 47 seeds, 5 kinds didn't even start, I might add 1 or two of each of those and try again, They are slow starting but mostly doing ok, its the cold nights that are slowing them i'm sure
jen

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

For all of you whose plants have a virus, take a look at this article I found here at DG.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/730/

It may be the answer to your problems after all that attention you lavish on your plants! Good luck with all your endeavors.

Sonny

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

This 'treatment' may mask symptoms, but it does not remove virus.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I started cannas from seed last year, nicking and soaking the seeds. I soaked them, nicked them...repeating until a little white sprout appeared.

Some people recommend using peroxide and water.

This year, I tried an alternate scarification method. I poured nearly boiling water (180'F according to the seed gurus) over the canna seeds (in a coffee cup). They made popping/cracking noises. I left them in the cup overnight. All swelled to about twice their size. I put them in a pot and they are starting to sprout. This method was much easier for me than the nicking and soaking.

None of my cannas bloomed last year, but I overwintered the tubers. Maybe this year.

Syracuse, NY

Update: Eight cannas made it to the garden: Indian shot and pink. I lost 4 or 5 through neglect. One of the Indian shot is budded, and most plants have sent out additional stems. I think I'll try again next year.

What seed varieties will you be saving this year?

Grayson

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have the following planted
canna 'Musifolia'
Canna flaccida
Canna glauca 'Erebus' (only one so far to flower)
Canna indica 'Red Stripe' (this one seeded like crazy last year)
Canna x generalis 'Ambassadour'
Canna x generalis 'pearly shells'
Canna x generalis 'Tropical Rose'
Canna x generalis 'Tropical White'
canna x generalis 'majella's' (name unknown)

My red stripes were all rhizomes this year not from seed, so those should seed and my Erebus flower is almost done so hopefully that one goes to seed also.. The rest aren't even close to flowering yet so we'll see about them.. I plantded Constitution also this year but none came up....
jen

Calgary, Canada

Do you have pictures of these cannas?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I sure do

Ambassabour, as you can see its more yellow then the parent as far as i can tell from the pic posted in the plantfiles

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Pearly shells no plantfile on this one, but shes so pretty

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

tropical rose the white one the plant looks the same however i have yet to get a flower

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

majella (name unknown this is what the seeds were called and just named after the person they got them from)

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Musifolia with a bit of wind and hail damage to the bottom..

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

flaccida simple but so pretty

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

erebus

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

red stripe

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

From just rhizome i have....
wyoming

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

tropicanna

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

king humbert

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Florence Vaughan

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Unknown red and yellow one

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

unknown fushia yellow one with dark leaves

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

unknown yellow pretty sure its Canna indica var. maculata

Thumbnail by smurf428
Syracuse, NY

I will try to post pictures of some of the cannas I started from seed this spring this weekend.

Calgary, Canada

Thank you for sharing pictures.
I am just starting to grow cannas this coming winter.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

You will love them, but watch out it gets addictive.. Theres just so many beautiful cannas available, hard not to have them all..
jen

Syracuse, NY

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150859/#new

moved for 2011

Grayson

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.