Thoughts on Day Avocado

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I was thinking of ordering one but would like to know if anyone has one that has produced fruit.... How do they compare to other commercial avos? Thank you for any onfo!
Caren

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't you need a different type also for pollination?

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Good fruit production requires both an "A" and a "B" tree for good pollination. They don't have to be right next to each other. Sometimes, just having the one opposite to your's in the neighborhood will suffice. Don

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

I just ordered two Day avocado trees from Logee's Tropical Plants. They are backordered, they said they will ship in May, which is very late to plant a tree in the Phoenix area, but I am going to plant one at my house down there anyway, and bring the other one up here and plant it in my greenhouse.

I have read all that about the types A and B and figured I'd never be able to have two huge avocado trees anywhere, but Logee's claims they are self-fruitful (see the inside of the front cover). They are supposed to be tolerant of temps down to the low twenties, and will start bearing in 2 to 3 years. They are supposed to be dwarf and grow from 6 to 8 feet tall, perfect for my GH. The one pictured in their catalog is in a pot and has 7 avocados on it. It looks to be only about 3 feet high so hopefully by the time mine are 6 or 8 feet they will have lots more fruit. I just hope that they taste good. I love guacamole!

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

How does the 'Day Avocado' compare in taste to the "Hass Avocado" ?

I'm from CA and would love to be able to grow my own avocados here in N. Texas. We're hot enough -- but we can have some pretty cold winter days. (ie; ice / snow)...doesn't last too long...it's more about the irratic change in temperatures.

I don't know. I am just hoping they taste good.

We get ice & snow here (north of Heber AZ) too but hopefully an avocado tree will be safe in my greenhouse. I am off the grid so heating it is problem but this past winter it didn't get lower than the high 20's inside. I covered my dwarf citrus trees with blankets in Dec/Jan but the Day avocado shouldn't need that.

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh! A greenhouse! I'm envious. What kind...how big...?

I've been looking at one of the greenhouse kits --> 'Sturdi-built". http://www.sturdi-built.com/gallery/12-x-18-tudor-greenhouse63.php

My son and DIL converted my former horse stable (which I built but it was pretty flimsy) into a greenhouse. They used 4x4s we got used and lots of dbl-pane windows donated by a local contractor, plus clear corrugated polycarbonate lined with bubble wrap for the roof. It is 10 x 24 so probably about the same square footage as the one you are looking at. The north side & the corners are full of water barrels to help keep from freezing, plus lots of 1-gallon milk jugs filled with water. The shelves that on top of the water barrels have flats of seedlings I plan to set out in the garden when it gets warmer. It is really neat! They painted the plywood parts with dark green paint, and the trim with taxi-cab yellow, hot pink, and passionate purple! Luckily I have no near neighbors! LOL

Your tudor kit looks elegant -- but I would recommend getting one with a solid north wall and the north part of the roof so you can insulate them, which will help with heat loss. You will get plenty of sun from the south wall & south part of the roof. DG has a greenhouse forum which will give you lots of ideas and help.

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey AZgrammie.... your greenhouse sounds charming! Can you post a picture?

Okay. Here is a picture of the north side.

Thumbnail by AZgrammie
Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey --- that's a REALLY cute (?) GREENhouse!

Thanks for posting!

Don't know why the picture of the south side didn't come up but I will try again.

Thumbnail by AZgrammie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.