GLADIOLUS FOR 2010 - Whatcha doing?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here you go, who worries about colors matching.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Those are beautiful and I know what you mean. I'd rather have a kaleidoscope of colors any day. I'm just growing the colors I can't typically find as cut glads at the supermarkets in South Florida.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

"Here you go, who worries about colors matching."

.....Florists will. Especially in certain types of arrangements!

But those are gorgeous!

Nice market containers there too! Whats your source on those?

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Containers look like 'improvised' storage plastic containers with round cut-outs on the lids and cut-up pvc pipes inserted. Hope I'm right.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, now why dint I think on that! Waaaay ta go TEX!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

PVC pipes inside of the 5 gallon buckets as well.
That was a 2008 picture. We bought new 5 gallon buckets last year from Uline.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

That's true Blossom. Florists do watch the color combinations, but when you're just picking, from your yard, for yourself who cares. If you like it, thats all that matters, right?

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thar he goes again with that dang pool... I got FROST here Jon.... yano, ICE on the water! LOL!

Yep, 5 gal buckets.. we can get those at the local hardware, same on the pipe and hey, a board at the lumber yard.. Ooooh now thats cool!

On my indoor plant stands I have tubes for my silk flowers for when I am crafting. They will hold water! hehehe! So could use them for a display!

Going to the nursery today ... do not follow me, I am lost!

Not quite a frost here this morning, but it was a new record low of 40 degrees. Yes, that is a clever way to display those gladiolas and keep them all neat and separated.

Hope you find some interesting things at the nursery Blossom. Ya never know what may be hidden in those places.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

40 degrees! Wow! Not exactly pool weather. Were currently going to have a 'heat wave' here in Jersey. Upper 40's today, 48 degrees tomorrow, and 52 degrees Sunday. I got lily bulbs waiting to be planted so I'll do some this weekend. I'll wait till spring to plant the Gladiolus bulbs though.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Clever way of you shoing us them thar flares Jon! LOL!

Geeesh, how dare you NJ for having warmer weather than us! LOL!

Well, is off ta the nursery for me!

Yes, 40's at night and high's in the mid 60's. A good 15 degrees below normal, and very unusual for March. Yes, no rush to get things planted up North yet. The month of March can be very unpredictable. Definitely still too cold for the gladiola bulbs. I'll bet you were surprised to see them out at Lowes already. Did they also have the boxes of Dinnerplate Dahlias and Calla Lily bulbs, from the same company, at Lowes in NJ???

Jon

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Jon,
Both our local Lowe's and 2 Home Depot in the area are all flooded with spring/summer bulbs. You name it, they got it all. Daylilies, lilies, cannas, callas, gladiolus, peonies, and all kind of goodies. Actually they had them since early February. Patio/outside furniture, pagodas and such were on full display. They were really pushing it. Didn't buy gladiolus before because I already ordered some varieties online. But those jumbo gladiolus bulbs were late addition at Lowe's and I just couldn't resist.

Didn't get any dahlias. I got plenty coming from Swan Island and Corralito's Garden, some new introduction for this year and last year. So really looking forward to a full color spectrum in my garden this summer. Corralito's Garden ships live dahlia plants as compare to tubers.

Calla lilies, I'm getting newer varieties (and bigger bulbs) from Ella (Starlight here @ DG). She's doing a group buy on the "OTHER" site, and not here at DG. I don't know if you got an invite or at least aware of that site.

Wow. I guess they are pushing the bulbs up there. I couldn't resist the gladiolas either. Like the bulbs and the packaging. Seems like the bulb variety is better up there. We don't ever see peony and daylily bulbs available. The only daylilies I have were bought online. Peonies are just not gonna work down here.

Yes, I'm aware of the "other" site. I'll have to look and see if calla bulbs are still available on the group buy. They sell plenty of calla lily plants down here, but I don't recall ever seeing just the bulbs for sale.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

That's why we have the honor of being the "Garden State" (He-he)!

I can't believe daylilies are not readily available over there. They're like the easiest plants to grow especially with the weather down there. The calla bulbs are packaged the same way as with the gladioulus and the dahlias. So don't know. Maybe you have to look around.

Ella just started the group buy on the callas a couple days ago. So yes, it's still open. I will d-mail you the link.

LOL. I should have said its the first time I've seen calla lily bulbs down here. I did buy a couple of boxes. Maybe daylilies traditionally don't do well in South Florida because there is no winter dormancy. I think I have had 5 of them for 3 years now. They are all rebloomers, stay evergreen and do fine in hald day sun.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yeah, evergreen daylilies do well in the south. No peonies for you though!

Looks like Ella just started the same Calla Lily Group Buy in the Classified Ads here in DG.

Hey, you guys have roostersi in Fort Lauderdale???!!! I miss those little devils at the Keys! You go to bed like 1, 2, 3 in the morning and they wake you up at 4 or 5! LOL!

LOL. Yeah, there's lots of roosters in Key West. They just roam the streets. There are no longer any in my neighborhood. There was a house on the street in front of me that had chickens, roosters, and peacocks and you could hear those roosters early in the morning. You had to look out for them when driving. She must have sold all her animals in the past year. This part of Ft Lauderdale is called Plantation Acres and quite a few people have horses. You'll see people riding them on the side of the street quite often. There is also a stray goat that lives in a vacant lot up the road. He directs the traffic, at the stop sign, during the day and disappears into the woods at night.

Nope, no peonies for us. I do notice they sell lots of our tropicals up North in the summer as annuals. Some of the popular ones seem to be hibiscus, canna lilies, mandevilla and caladiums.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im surprized the gators have not devoured all those strays! Send one of those roosters up here for my girls.. im short a leghorn and a buff roo!

Well, my calla from last year has been coming up... its kinda spindly, I had to move it for better light. I used the Super Thrive on it, but I am afraid thats the wrong stuff to do.

Got these today.....

I will not tell you how many DL's I have. I dont know myself anymore! LOL! They are my gardens staple.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Those look nice Blossom. Where's the lime green ones??? They didn't have them?

Anyone know the name of the big calla lilies? I have a white one that about 24 inches tall and the calla lilies are large and form on 12-18 inch stems. I bought it at Lowes, awhile back, but it was just labelled "calla lily".

LOL. Those roosters flew the coup. None of the animals are around that house anymore. Jaws didn't get them because I didn't see him coughing up any feathers.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I wanted more packs of solit colors, but they dint have anymore other than the reds and comets I already had so my last two choices at that place were pastel colors of moixed florist cutters so I got the florist cutters mixed bag.

Maybe the next nursery I go to willhave more choices. I still need to place an order or do something with a trade if someone has a pile of them to offer.

Today's first blooms on Gladiolas purchased at Lowes and planted in early January.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh my goodness! I'm really, really jealous. Can't wait to plant mine. Maybe 2-3 weeks more. Even the ones on the ground are still below the ground. LOL!

LOL. Yes, the climate is a little different down here. Planted the purple ones first and then scattered the blue, orange and lime green plantings over a period of a month or so.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Aligator Boy wins again! LOL! Nice shot Jon!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

im wondernig if I should not just go ahead and pot mine up. I got about 2-3 weeks yet before my frost date. We have been getting in the 50's during the day, lite freezes at nite.
It could still very well snow.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

I bought some ceramic planters, on clearance at a local nursery for $2 a piece, roughly about 12" in width and 12" or so in height. (See photo below, don't mind the rose plant)
Thinking of planting some gladiolas in those planters. Never planted them in containers before.
How many giant bulbs would you guys think are ideal for each planter. These will be HUGE bulbs (16cm+).

Thumbnail by Tex68
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

6 to 12 bulbs maybe? Depends on the size of the finished glad.

Im gonna plant mine in large nursery cans...they are about the same pot size as what your talking. I will probably do 6 in one The finish size is a tall variety

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Height is 48". That's all I know.

I think I'd wait until a couple of weeks prior to your last frost date Blossom. They're gonna take a couple of weeks to pop out of the ground, so they would be protected at the beginning. Maybe plant a couple of containers and stagger your plantings 2-4 weeks apart. That way they won't all bloom at once and you can enjoy them over a longer period of time.

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I would probably plant 12-18 glad bulbs in that 12 inch pot. Just space them 3-4 inches apart around the edges and fill in the middle with more bulbs. Generally we seem to plant bulbs much closer together in pots so that we get maximum flower power from the container. Look how close daffodil bulbs are planted together when they're planted for forcing in a pot. The bulbs are practically touching each other. You wouldn't plant them that close in the ground because you're most likely leaving them in the ground and giving them more space as they multiply over the years. Since its a one year thing in a pot I would jam those babies close together. Just plant them a good 5-6 inches deep so the stalks will develop strong stems with less flopping.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our last frost date is in May. We always plant glads April 15. They are underground & frost won't reach them. Flowers in early July that way. We plant 3 times. 2nd around May 8 & 3rd end of May. Flowers until freeze in late Sept.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I agree on part of what your saying there jon.. I was thinking of combos in their pots.. not sure yet what I was gonna add. Problem with the glads though if they are too crouded, bing a one faced flower on a staul, I woudl not want them too crouded, but to have a good show. Unfortuneately I did not get the quanity of bulbs I would have liked to so they are gonna be what I have in the three bags. I really wanted to do more but something came up.

So anyway, I think I can get by with them in the containers and probably could go ahead and pot them now. I can always move them into the GPS if I have to if they sprout and the weather turns tail.

Being April 15 is normally our last frost date.. I think its doable..

I would think its very doable Blossom since they have mobility. The ones I planted in the ground are about 4-5 inches apart and it seems like there's quite a bit of space between them. Would have planted them a little closer if doing it all over.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well Jon, the more the merrier. ... I would take all I could!

Agreed. Cut a few of the purple ones today and vased them up. I think I planted 100 in total (purple, blue, orange and lime green).

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

arrrgh! YOu make me jeaous! LOL!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Today we are planting the first ones.
Early flowers this year.
Looking for rain tomorrow.
Above normal temperatures for next 2 weeks.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

There you go again... oooooh soooo jealous... me wantum lots o glad!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have a lot of some. Way more than I need.
D-mail if you want some.
Bernie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

hmmmmm....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.