GLADIOLUS FOR 2010 - Whatcha doing?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, its actually too early for me to be thinking about planting glads, but I was shopping today and ran across these prettys and could not resist getting them!

Im starting my glad collection out with lavender and white Comets!

So whatcha doing?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We will be planting our 12000 or so corms.
Also plan on about 6 new colors. Those I order 500 of each. Glads are so fun!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I am sooooo jealous! I take it you sell the flowers?

I would love to do a ton of them but Iam not sooo very sure they would like my garden.. to wet to start then to dang dry. I pot them! I cannot imagine doing 1500 nursery cans, but then on the other hand.. dont tempt me...

Wayward home here for spare glads! LOL!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

At the market.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Planted glads last spring.
Usually I get them to return and flower again,if it doesn't get to cold over the winter time.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats why I plant them in cans.. easier to lift in the fall!

There is nothing prettier than a field of glads though!

We have some growers near me that do a tremendous planting!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Planted some about 6 weeks ago and they're coming along pretty good. First tried them back in 2007 in late spring and it obviously was the wrong time of the year for down here. The stems just fried in our summer heat. Hopefully this time of year will produce better results.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I think Im gonna order some more... Get some of the el cheapo bulbs from some mailorder stock. As much as I would like to have some name brands, I think I just want color for now.

Sounds like a good plan. I just went with the blue and purple varieties I found this fall at Lowes. The bags of 12 were $2.99 each.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Farmers Seed - 40/$2.99
Interstate Nursert - 40/$2.96
Guerneys - 50/$9.95

Got any other places??

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I believe all those companies are owned by the same people.
I might have some to share after I buy my new ones.
I am getting them from the wholesale part of
http://www.nowetagardens.com/cat3a.html

Old age is creeping in. I said six in an earlier post. I think it should be 10 because I am going to get each of the new varieties. No white or Puebla.

I'll do Classified Ad if I decide to do this.

Bernie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, if you do have some d-mail me ok! Maybe we can do postage or something for them. Im not fussy, just would like a good quanity.

Question, on the baby baby corms, how long does it take for those to bloom? DO they do it in one season or do you have to plant them again and wait? I had a ton of baby babys and never did anything with them because I figured they would be a waste of my time at the time, but now I am wondering if I did not make a mistake in not planting them....what do you feel for my zone?

Yes, those mailorder places I beleive are also realated. I have ordered in the past and they were ok, nothing to brag about, but they did bloom the year I got them.. so I guess for the money, they did ok.

I have not checked wholesale..

I was a bad woman today, stopped at WW again and this time they had Wigs Sensation in red.. got one bag of 20.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Bad girl.....but in a very good way. Did the same myself. Had to go into town today and stopped by one of the nurseries on way back home. BIG mistake. Had all kinds of new unique flowering plants that I hadn't seen in the past three years of gardening. Showed some restraint, but not enough.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Alright, what ya get? You cannot hide it...

They had a ton of new gladiola bulbs. Really wanted to get the bag of green envy ones, but decided not to. Ended up getting 3 red/white dinnerplate dahlia tubers, 3 "Summer Series" Dwarf Delphinium plants (powder blue, midnight blue and pure white) in gallon containers and these 2 "Premier Series" Alstroemeria in gallon containers.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well green was good... shame on you! LOL!

I know Blossom. Should have gotten the green ones since I never see that color available as a cut flower glad down here. The price was kind of "so so" ($9.99 for 25 bulbs). Glads are available, as cut flowers, 12 months of the year here. They're never more than $3.99/dozen, but its always the same colors (white, yellow, red, pink). That's why I planted the blues and purples in early January. I just know I'm gonna "give in" and drive back over there. Dumb me.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

$9.99 is steep for 25 , but see ya when you get back! LOL!

I was growping at $5.35 but they said GET ME!

Im gonna have to tour the nurseries again soon... Maybe in a few weeks. I did find my salvias seed too today! And some Zinnias.

You're right on both counts Blossom. It was $9.99 for the 25 glads or $9.99 for 3 "Holland Festival" Dahlia tubers,so I chose the Dahlias. Should have bought more than 2 Alstroemeria (Inca Lily) plants also. I bought one online 3 years ago. It's bloomed every spring/summer so I already know they do well here.

Good to hear you found some good seeds today. Do most places already have their full supply of seed available or are they still in the process? I try to hit the nurseries every few weeks on a Thursday or Friday, before things get picked over on the weekends. Won't it still be another couple of months before plants become available. I would assume it would be May, correct?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Its an on going process for now.. you would be surpized at how empty newly stocked shelves have gotten already! Its a crazew I tell ya! LOL!

Wow. The early bird gets the seed! You gotta shop before the weekend here if you want the interesting plants. The unique ones disappear real fast. The seeds will probably be going on sale here soon. It's near the end of the growing season for many plants.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well scarf up what you can when they are cheap!

You betcha. I'd just use them in the fall for next winters "flower power".

Oh well. I couldn't resist for very long (less than 24 hours LOL). Ended up getting two boxes of gladiola bulbs. One is "Green With Envy" and the other is named "Grand Prix".

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Boy, they are getting higher priced all the time.
I pay 7¢ per bulb.

LOL. I just paid 40 cents/bulb. Only other option would have been to mail order them and then pay for shipping. Now I gotta find a place to plant them where they can be left alone, since they can stay in the ground here.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Plant them deep. 8 or 10 inches. Then they won't tip over.
You should still dig them up & replant every few years. If they get to crowed, they might get small.

Thanks for the information. I did plant some gladiolas and watsonia bulbs back at the beginning of January. Planted them very deep and they are well above the ground and very upright.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Just planted my 1st Galds. They are called 'Firecracker'.
Cannot wait to see how they do :o)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

7c a bulb? WHERE?!?!?!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Got the same bulbs as Amorecuore. Got it from Lowe's. At 42 cents a bulbs it's not bad considering they're a jumbo size at 16+cm.
I got Green Envy too and Phantom.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, that cuts it, I want green envy! LOL!

Bingo. Yep, those are the Lowes gladiola bulbs. Finished getting all 50 of my green ones and orange ones planted this evening.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure where I wil get mine yet... will have to go scout!

Green and orange? LOL!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well lucky you. I still have about a month and a half till I can plant my bulbs here in Jersey. Got them now before they sell out of them.
I wish we have Florida weather too. Last time I was there went to Key West. On the way back I hand carried a banana plant with me inside that small Gulf Stream plane, to the bigger Continental jet. They lost my luggage (they found and delivered it later) but a least I got a banana plant. LOL!

Yep, green and orange. LOL There's no rules for mixing colors. Already have blue and purple ones about 2 feet high in the ground. Can't be too far away from blooming.

That's a great banana story Tex. The banana plants took a real beating from our freezing temps in January. Most of them probably will bounce back, but they look horrible right now. Saw the cutest little banana tree plants at a nursery the other day. First time I've seen little baby sized ones in gallon containers. I should have got one.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, if I get the green, ima gonna haveta go with yeller.. too bad that Green Envy is not JD Green! Then it would match the Zambonie! LOL!

LOL. The lime green isn't gonna match John Deere. Actually, if you asked me what color I think would look the best with Gladiola "Green With Envy", I would go with a pink colored glad. In my front there's an area where lime green and pink echinacea are planted together. They look great together when they're both in bloom. Close your eyes and imagine pink and lime green in a vase.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooooohm!

Exactly. Even you're idea of lime green and yeller could be enhanced with some pink in the mix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.