What's Happening in your neighbourhood - Feb. 21 and later

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Over 200 messages on the old thread. I'm thinking maybe we need a new one.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070197/

Here's a reminder that spring WILL come!

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Thanks for moving us over Ann .. I saw we had as many posts as you mentioned, but, did you happen to notice how many VIEWS we had !! Over 1300 !!! Good grief .. guess we must be interesting LOL

Spent quite a bit of time outside walking the deer trails this afternoon with Lilly .. I had to take my flannel jacket OFF it was SO warm in the sun. BAD thing was, I had brought NO sunglasses .. by the time I got into the house, I was 'snow blind' .. never do that again !!

Feeling kinda bad re the Canadian figure skater .. Joannie Rochettes Mom .. she passed away this morning after having arrived in Vancouver last evening to support her daughter .. Mrs Rochette was 55 !!! Apparently a heart attack ..

Watching the hockey .. but .. as I am not a HUGE fan of the commentary, I doubt it'll last long .. but .. I did see Thunder Bays Eric Staal score :-)

Stay safe guys

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

How sad about Joannie's Mom.

Had a rehearsal this evening and the hockey game was nearly over when I got home. Sounds like they need to learn to play together in the next couple of games.

I DID watch the dance competition a bit and what a performance the Canadians put in. Let's keep our fingers crossed for them tomorrow - so many of our athletes seem to be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Here's a link for you if you are suffering from winter blahs. http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

It opens to a black page. Just start clicking anywhere with the mouse and see what happens.

Have a good night.

Ann

PS Dunno about you folks, but I must have viewed and read at least 10 times for each post I made on the previous thread. 205 x 10 = 2050 so 1300 isn't so high if many of us are doing the same.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just picked up our new foster, a sweet little 15 year old! All the way from Llodminster SPCA. She travelled to Edmonton on Friday and stayed with another volunteer over the weekend and down here tonight all this courtesy of people atttending a flyball tournament in Edmonton!
She seems a pretty feisty little thing - probably wondering when people are going to stop putting her in and out of cars. So far she told Fancy to stop sniffing her face but otherwise is ignoring my dogs and they here which is the normal situation around here when I bring a new foster dog in.

I am enjoying watching the curling although I missed this evenings game in favor of the skating and then had to go get Caramel.

Ann I dont know how it counts but suspect it is the thread count and not the post count otherwise it would be way higher

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Thanks for the new thread Ann and the spring link..pretty flowers...ooohhhh soon we can say 'next month' we'll see some of our lovelies come out! So anxious to get my hands dirty..

Yesterday was everything a spring day could be..I know, winter is not over but it was nice having a glimpse of what's to come..

How terrible for Joannie's mom..must have been the excitement of it all..prayers going out for the family...
Watched some of the skating then fell asleep..

Carol, what's the chance of finding a home for a 15 yr. old??watched a program on amazing animals yesterday afternoon, there is woman who flies greyhounds to foster homes, she feels it's less stressful on the dogs getting them to their homes in a shortest amount of time..gave figures on how many greyhounds they have to find homes for, omg, an overwhelming amount..says they make wonderful pets..

Hate the thought of going into work this morning, not that it's work, just would love to stay home..guess I'm getting closer to retiring for the 2nd time...

Did accomplish finishing the lap quilt and the afghan using up color left over from the 4 afghans I'd done since mid Dec. so another Christmas gift done and ready to wrap..Christmas is coming you know! Slap me silly..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Monday, Monday .. can't believe it's here already ..

Beautiful 'crafty work' Betty .. as I am always want to say "Good thing there are folks like you, so that folks like me can buy items like that' !!

Flipped on the computer this morning only to be met with the INCREDIBLE news that Canada had LOST the hockey game !! Am thinking it'd be tragic if Canada did NOT win a medal in this sport .. in fact, one of the more clever, and watchable, commercials is one dealing with showing the world that HOCKEY is OUR sport .. mind you I do think it ends with the Golden Arches !!

Wanted yo make pea soup in the slow cooker today, but just now noticed I am missing a couple of items, so that'll have to be a tonight project.

Re the 'goin back to peek at your post' .. I might do it once, but, for the most part I hit send and call it good .. my segway here to say that I am NOT the world's greatest speller and am HORRIBLE with regards to transposing letters in words .. so .. bear that in mind if you see some wonkie spelling in any of my posts ^_^

Have a splendiferous week everyone !!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty the chances of somebody wanting to adopt Caramel are pretty slim so we anticipate she will be a permanent foster. But you never know. We thought the same last year with Trouper who was a 13 year old ' old soul 'and somebody came 'out of the woodwork' and wanted him.
So you never know! Fortunately from our point of view they are usually easy care.

The greyhound rescue is very active. The group here took 15 dogs from Florida about 3 months ago and I think they do that on a regular basis.But I dont know how they get here. There is quite a network thru the US of transporting rescues. Recently there was a race track somewhere in midwest that was closing and they had several hundred dogs and rescues were trying to get them out. Dont know what happened . Yes I talk with people at off leash and they love them, apparently in the home they are real couch potatoes!

Here's Caramel- she only weighs 16 lbs and at that looks overweight to me.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Isn't she just too adorable....

That's a lot of greyhounds to find homes for, forget how many they were saying are bred for racing purposes..one just doesn't think that their racing careers only last such a short span...sad isn't it!

Well I'm an Aunty...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Another

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow they are cute!! All of the 4 legs are cute. Caramel is very sweat looking too.
Carol will you keep her?
You ladies are so busy I have trouble keeping up!

With this site I have enough trouble keeping up with what I have at the moment so it will have to wait.
Back to work for me.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don't work too hard Ann...oh/oh snow starting to move in...

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

That sheltie has such a nice face. And puppies always lift my mood. We've been so many lately when we're out walking Cooper. They've mostly been larger breeds. Seems there's a demand for Great Danes, mastiffs and lots of Labs around.

Our downstairs tenant must have wondered what was going last evening, with yells of 'shoot!'. I was watching the hockey game. Who was that masked man (Miller) and why wasn't Luongo in goal?!

Betty that lap quilt is beautiful. I have a lovely light quilt I got a couple of years ago at our bazaar. You can't see the patterns of the thread work that covers the quilt in a rainbow of colours.

Another glorious day here. Hope your day is as well.

Thumbnail by MG99

OK .. I just wrote a HUGE post .. and LOST it .. one wrong touch of the finger :-(

Good day here ... A++

Take care all

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

just have to hit the back button......
that's all I do....... many times x 1 million!

Tried that .. doesn't work for me .. have come to the conclusion that there is a 'yer in doo doo' button on this laptop that I sometimes touch and 'POOF' .. gonezo post !! Ahh well .. was nothing earth shattering.

Can imagine the DGers in the Toronto area are NOT luvin the weather. Gosh .. vut a mess !! We continue to be OK here at the head of the lakes, melting daily, getting muddier (never my fave time of year) .. muddy puppy paws are always a challenge,

Did anyone get to watch Canada win GOLD in Dance last night ? WOW ... totally awesome ^_^

Making slow cooker pea soup today .. should get to chopping as the VON nurse arrives early. Am thinking this will more than likely be her next to last visit to Lorna ..

Take care all

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow understates the skating last night. I didn't hang around for the Russians to skate after Tessa and Scott did their thing. Awesome, beautiful. Well deserved gold and their friends representing the USA were awesome as well.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Did watch them-no words to describe it..they were on local talk radio this morning..such nice kids..talk about excited..hasn't sunken it yet!

Pea soup..yummy..I made spaghetti on Saturday and did enough for an army, can't get this cooking down pat, should have a freezer because the fridge freezer is filled to the brim..better invite someone over soon so I can share..

We got about 5" last night, it's -2 and slushy/slushy..calling for a few more inches but not sure we'll get it..Toronto can indeed keep it..

MG99....Love the quilt..bet the backside is lovely done with rainbow colors..pinwheel design..I'm so anxious to get my cross stitch quilt back from quilters...then I think about how much I have to pay and I'm not so anxious...

Brain not computing here..I'm making errors galore in typing, hands on wrong keys..better go have my coffee..was up too early this morning..did some quilt blocks, went shopping for more wool..going to make another afghan, NOT because I need it but because it gives me something to do here in the office...must be missing spring because lordy did I pick bright colors!

Enjoy your day!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I watched too - curling and figure skating are imperative to watch! But didnt bother watching the last 2 couples. The USA and Cdn couples were fabulous!

Ann we will post Caramel for adoption but we anticipate she will be a long term foster, not many willing to take an old timer. She can stay here ,seems to be pretty easy care, also I think used to lots of lap time ,does not pay much attention to the other dogs and rather fluffy- too many treats I think and whines for them when anybody has food in hand! Diet time!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hello ev1 - Love that Canada won the Gold in Ice Skating Dance - beautiful sport.

Well, I got "fitted" yesterday with my mouth guards (one top & one bottom) and it sure feels funny talking and eating! They look like "partials" and eating is kinda like... eating air! ah well, I'll get used to them, I guess

I've been busy creating quilt blocks, a new banner for the church, and wouldn't you guess...... working like the dickens at work!! Seems like I have 3 jobs, but the transition is getting better when they joined 2 divisions and gave me both, plus a job they out-sourced before.....
ah well, being busy looks good on me LOL

♫♪~§usan~♪♫

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 9:03 PM

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

just watched Joannie Rochette skate. She passed her personal best, and is currently ranked 3rd. Amazing woman.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'll have to see if I can plug into it on Internet. Won't have the whole morning to sit my the TV. But it's good she could channel her grief into a good performance.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was indeed a great performance...takes a lot of courage..will hit her no doubt once she's home with her family...
Wow Susan, you are busy..hear so many with no jobs that we just have to be thankful even though overworked...
Big project working on the church banner, you'll have toshare a phot..

Nothing much happing in my neck of the woods, although today is Noah's 12th birthday and we're going out tonight to celebrate...called him this morning, he'd been to see Avatar with Greg, guess a late show and he could barely talk from being so tired..tonight he'll be full of vim and vinegar I'm sure...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The banner will have a funny message............ one of our members is previously an Anglican, and she was horrified that our Pastor used the word Allelujah on Sunday....... said it's blasphemy to use it. Actually, on a Sunday, it's not "illegal", because Lent isn't observed on Sundays.
The banner will say "Allelujah, in the middle of Lent!" LOL (he said I should put "Linda" on it, cuz that's the lady's name......I told him if I didn't know better, I'd say he was wicked LOL)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds as though your congregation is a lot of fun Susan..will she take it personally?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

It is a lot of fun. One of the elders (she's about 82) mentioned she needed a drink (meaning tea or coffee) and I asked her when she fell off the wagon LOL She took it in very good humour and said she never got ON the wagon LOL

Our pastor may have a sermon on the subject of Allelujah and other Sunday-only stuff during Lent, but I'm not sure - I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'm not sure what Linda's reaction will be to the banner...... we'll have to see that one too. She respects him, and I'm sure if it is seen to come from him, she'll take it well. She however, can be rather dogmatic, and can fly-off-the-handle. She's learning the practices in the United Church, and some are markedly different than the Anglican church.

I may try to (gently) let her know to expect the banner, as our Pastor has asked me to do it this way. We're on the Movie Night committee together, so I think it best to break it to her so she's not shocked again.......

Hokey doodle ... good thing she wasn't at the funeral last Saturday when 'Hallelulijah' was sung .. sometimes people do tend to take 'things', in general, a bit too seriously .. but .. it's just their way ..

A N N O UN C E M ENT of GREAT pleasure ^_^

We saw the prosthetist today (the fake leg guy) .. if ALL goes well .. Lorna will be IN her prosthesis next THURSDAY !!
She will start walking between parallel bars, then onto a walker, then crutches, a cane .. and then ........... well .. 'RUN LORNA RUN' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty exciting day to say the least .. I think Lorna deserves a GOLD MEDAL :-)

Weather is cooler but nice and sunny .. we'll take it !!

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Good news Marilynne! Tell Lorna to shake a leg for us too! She has come a long way and I know will be on two again soon. Just in time for spring what perfect timing.
Ann

Thanks a bunch, and, you are SO correct .. what a wonderful way to 'hop' into spring ^_^

My how this week has flown by .. even though I have been a day behind ?? I actually 'had words' with DH yesterday when he mentioned that tomorrow (today/Thursday) was a friends BDay. I was absolutely convinced that it was TUESDAY yesterday .. I had to look at the paper, and then the ULTIMATE in truth (cough, choke) the WEATHER CHANNEL to see if it WAS Wednesday .. gawd .. what a sinking feeling to realize you can become SO convinced of something ..

Off n running early again .. physio with Lorna, dry cleaners, groceries and who knows what else .. AND .. we remain in a 'bit' of a cold spell to boot .. nothing we can;t handle though ..

SOooooooooooooooo .. Happy Thursday All

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh "M" gold medal for Lorna for sure...let's hope all goes according to plan, been a long road for her and you supporting her onwards..am sure you've played a big part of it...congrats to both of you..

OMG, did our hockey players play well last night..nope, didn't watch it all, lasted 2 periods and fell asleep..did try though..

Had been to Noah's birthday party and then he was off playing hockey himself..goallie...they won 9-5 and now play in Meaford Friday night..if it wasn't 100 kl. away and calling for bad weather I just might go...

Snowing to beat the dickens here this morning..every once in awhile the wind comes up and you can't see anything..calling for much the same tomorrow..guess I should transfer the telephone to my home tonight JUST incase..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi folks,

Just had a message mostly composed, hit some sort of key stroke sequence and poof!

It was quite a day yesterday at the Olympics and I got home from bells in time to watch the end of the women's hockey game. I'm wondering who the heck wrote the lyrics to I Believe with its grievous grammatical error over and over - "the power of you and I". 'Of' is a preposition and requires the objective case after its use. That SHOULD have been, "the power of you and ME". An increasingly common error and one I find very irritating. Otherwise a great song with a good message, but the atrocious grammar ruins it for me.

Hoping to watch at least some of the skating. Whether I'll see Joannie skate, I don't know.

Well, better go. BBL

Ann

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

We've been fortunate that we're in the same time zone to watch events live.
Joannie skated well but not flawlessly. She was close to getting the silver, missed by about 5 points. The South Korean, her name escapes me, was incredible, one of the best performances I've seen, kudos to her coach Brian Orser.

My DSO took this photo today, it just struck me as a stunning photo. I've made it my desktop photo.

Thumbnail by MG99
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I DID watch the whole thing except the medal ceremony. I agree - incredible skate by the Korean gal. I was also impressed by the very young American who placed 4th, and very relieved that Joannie skated well - and well enough to retain the bronze.

Linda .. STUNNING it is .. you can almost feel the warmth of the sun that that Daffy is reaching for ^_^

The womens hockey game last night was nothing short of FABULOUS. In fact .. THAT is how hockey SHOULD be played. They (both teams) played their hearts out .. kinda makes the NHL look 'Namby Pamby' LoL
I unfortunately did not see Joannie R skate, but am assuming it MUST have been awesome .. now, perhaps, she can grieve her loss.

Ann .. if you were using a laptop to write your lost post, I hear ya.
I was writing a post the other day .. a long one at that .. was almost done .. and POOF .. I touched 'a' key or brushed the touchpad .. and it was gone !!!

Beautiful day here (supposed to be)

TGIF everyone

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wasn't a laptop Marilynne. I just got my fingers twisted up on my regular keyboard and POOF!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Linda, you've got flowers already...Lordy I'm living in the wrong part of the country..

Watched hockey, the girls were fabulous... now if the men's hockey team can do as well...here's hoping..

What an odd sort of day, blizzard/high winds this morning, no call to stay home, braved the elements..no sooner got there boss called and said we might as well close up shop at noon..that's great but it would have been better had we not come in for 3 hrs.

Did all my grocery and craft shopping so now I'm in for the weekend..so trying to get lots done..just gave the last coat of paint to Melanie DIL's bench she wanted, can't sand until tomorrow...have a carryall bag I want to make, will start that in the morning and I'm starting to feel tired! I've worked on grannie squares all week at the office so I'm thinking to play with putting some of them together..am sure by 7:30 I'll be ready for bed...

Had a craving for chicken and slidders (french type meal), almost cooked and ready to eat..smells delicious..am hoping I don't get hooked on some project and burn din/din...

Enjoy your evening...

Well Betty .. if you were to day 'sliders' in Thunder Bay .. someone would think you were talking about a 'Coney Island burger or hot dog'. Here in TBay, we have 2 restaurants run by Greek folk who make this totally UNhealthy sauce that is placed on a burger or hot dog .. it consists of onions and garlic sauteed in a pseudo tomato sauce .. I swear .. the stuff is totally raunchy .. BUT .. it is just SOOooooooooooooo delish !!!! May indulge twice a year .. and every time I do I look at who I am with and with a covert grin I say " my arteries are now SLOGGING along" LOL
Enjoy the chicken.

Today was just SUCh a wondrously beautiful PRE spring day here .. both Lilly and Smokey have EXTREME cabin fever, and have been out messin about multiple times .. and me tagging along ^_^

Lorna's parents in King City have about 10" of snow today .. felt bad talking to them as I watched our snow MELT ..

The weekend is UNplanned as of right now .. I MAY do Lorna's taxes .. not sure .. but, I'll give it a whirl .. did OK last year .. I use QuickTax ..

Sooooooooooooo .. there ya have it .. off to cook dinner (thank you M&Ms) :-)

~M~

Just a quick hello.

When you lose what you typed, if you immediately hit Control z, most times you can recover it. Only works if you haven't hit another key. I haven't lost anything since I switched to Firefox. But then, I haven't been typing a lot...

This message was edited Feb 27, 2010 11:52 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't lose much in Firefox either. Much for stable than IE. But last week I got all fumble fingered and came up with some unknown keystroke combination that took care of everything. Poof! And also last week, I accidentally closed down Firefox when trying to close something else - the computer was doing something that slowed it down and I lost a half-written message.

Snow has been melting rapidly here in Ottawa too. But we COULD get significant snow in March. One never knows.

Ann

There was a day, when Thunder Bay was THE place to go if you wanted SNOW !! Not anymore.
Had a look around the streets while in town today, and was surprised to see many many streets bare to pavement. This was the time of year when I about drove my Mom crazy because I just wanted to start wearing SHOES .. anyway .. the snow factor INSIDE the city limits is almost a non issue .. but .. outside the city we have 'some' that is melting quickly .. one thing is fer sure, Mother Nature is not DEPENDABLE .

Tried Firefox once, I obviously made an error in the download,or, one occurred, and it never did install .. I keep on keeping on with IE, seems Windows Vista likes it.

Watching the curling .. Canada & Norway .. good game .. gotta LOVE Norway's pants !! Kinda reminds me of a Harlequin .

TTFN

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gold for Kevin Martin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.