Jackmanii in containers

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 7a)

Hi folks - I'm a somewhat new gardener who has had limited success with Clematis'. Because of a construction project I had to dig two and have stored them in large containers in the garden shed over the winter. Two questions:

What's the likelihood that replanting them somewhere will result in something that actually survives and

I have four Jackmanii on order which I hope to plant on each side of two arbors which are in lots of sun. However, the arbors are anchored in cement which has been stained a brick color. One arbor has a garden bench "inside" and the other is a bird feeding/watering sanctuary. Because the cement extends two feet in all direction around the perimeter of the arbors, I have to use some sort of a planter box to get the Jackmanni close enough so that it can twine up the wooden arbor sides. I was thinking of building boxes 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet high. Anyone have any thoughts on whether the plants will survive our zone 6b winters without being moved into the garden shed? Thanks much.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Indianaguy, I have asked some of the experts on your question. A lot of the gardeners are interested in some of the smaller clematis for container gardening and that is one question we all have. So I should have an answer for you shortly on that one. If they make it in containers then you should be fine with that size container. If not, you could plant them and put a small bamboo stick to encourage them to go the way of your trellis. Also plant them so that they go in the direction of the trellis at a 45 degree angle.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Sorry for the delay, I have some answers from some very reliable sources. You can overwinter clematis in containers!! The containers should be large enough to accomodate the clematis and be thick ones. So if you were to build them out of wood, I would think that would be just fine. The thin plastic ones would a gamble in my opinion in both the summer and the winter. Also if you were afraid of losing your plants you could alway's bring them close to the house for some residual heat. So there is some good news.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 7a)

Thank you very, very much. Was looking for an excuse to get out of the house today (cloudy and rain) - now I can go to Lowes to buy some wood. Take care.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Have fun!!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Indianaguy - I am a novice when it comes to clematis but I have a photo to post of a clematis that my neighbor has grown in the same tub for at least 6 years (the time I have known her) and probably has been in this container even longer. It is a tall and narrowish looking plastic barrell. I wish more of the container showed in my photo but at least you can see how happy it is here.

Edited to add that I am in zone 6 and this clematis overwinters just fine in a pot here. Also, I don't know the name of this cultivar as I took the photo 5 years ago before I became interested in keeping track of names lol.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2010 9:11 AM

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Lily. The cultivar may be Crystal Fountain but I would not swear to it. This does show that they can do ok in containers. I hope so because I bought four cedar planters today - about a foot and a half square - something just under two feet high. Was cheaper than buying all of the wood I needed and doing it myself. Thanks again.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi indianaguy, I have Crystal Fountain coming this spring also! along with a dozen others. I have heard that to get a real nice flush for the fall to cut back after the spring flush to about 8" and then let it grow until fall. Produces a lot more blooms. Hope it works

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/vines.asp?letter=C

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 7a)

UPDATE.....happy to report that three of the four Jackmanni I planted in boxes survived the winter. The boxes are on each side of two arbors in the garden and the three that "made it" are about half way up the side of the arbor. I tried to buy a replacement for the guy that did not survive. Checked the big box stores and a few local places - everyone says it's a little too early. Thanks again, everyone, for your help last year.

By the way, the Crystal Fountain, Miss Bateman, Avant Garde; and Tidal Wave have all poked up. The Avant Garde is nearly at the top of it's support already. The others are just a foot or so high. But, considering how poorly they did last year - not very tall and very tiny flowers - I wasn't expecting to see them again.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

indianaguy, thank you for your follow up and out come. Your info. will in turn helps many other gardeners with similiar interest. I'm glad to learn that Avant Garde clem. is doing its thing for you. Looking forward to a good growing season. In my zone, it is much milder during the winter. Container growing down here has no problem at all, provided that if they were big enough to accomodate the roots and mulched well to prevent freezing and thawing with the climate changes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.