designing a greenhouse

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

Ive got the word out that Im collecting old windows to build a greenhouse with.. Id love enough to do a double layer kind of thing but we shall see what we can get to begin with.. Im planning on using it to over winter things and mainly for starting seeds in the spring.. I know if you start small you almost always end up wanting a bigger one.. its sorta like riding a motorcyle in that respect....lol....Im only gonna build one of these things so what do you think a good hobbiest size is.. 10x15..10x18.. Im asking so I can roughly figure out how many windows Im gonna need...

It is hard to advise someone what size greenhouse to build. Years ago I had a 15 x 24 ft but I also sold plants.

From owning one, my advise is to build the largest possible. Consider that you live in Texas, the smaller it is, the hotter it will heat up. You are going to need a swamp cooler or other cooling system. Shading fabric also.

Of high importance is how you face the greenhouse. Build it so that the long sides run North to South. Otherwise you will have hot spots in the greenhouse. Run N to S, the greenhouse will have some shade as the sun moves across the sky from East to West.

Good luck.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

summertime I wont have anything in it so Im not worried about cooling it in the winter Ill use hay bales abound the base and bubble wrap and passive solar( ie water bottles) to help retain heat.. its mostly for over wintering and starting seed and some storage of garden supplies.. Ive been trying to figure out where to place it I have a lot of open area but a lot of trees that like to drop branches.. I also have some low lying areas that when it rains get a bit flooded so Im still figuring out where to put it.....I appreciate the advice on how to place it ..

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 11:44 AM

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I like my GH better now that I've covered the bottom 2 feet so you can't see in, it hides the storage of my empty pots and such when they aren't being used. I plan to cover more of the north side before next winter.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I had planned about 2 ft from the bottom would be solid with a gravel./stone/brick floor that could absorb heat.. Id put some low vents in to help with the circulation but they would have covers that I could close them with.. I wont have electric there except for a extention cord untill later on.. but Illhave some fans I can hook up to help move tha air till I can get regular electric and paddle fans put in.. Ill have water run to it.. that I can do myself...lol... I have a sink I got for 5.oo to use as a planting bench and Ill have that run out to a french drain that empties back farther into a low point in the yard. I have a cll into a local contractor who will save me any type of glass windors or doors he gets his hands on.. lucky for me Im usually on his way home from where hes been working so hes said he'll just drop stuff off as he gets it..

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes to having the lower level covered. That works better to help maintain the temperature in wintertime. We used landscape timbers for the bottoms of the walls and wood seems to be a good insulator. Yours would require fewer windows with lower walls also.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe look for books in the public library? What about on DIY network site? Surely there are some publications out there for ideas. I think I saw one posted somewhere that people had built from old windows. Maybe find a company or individual that is replacing windows and doors and ask if you can have them. Or check "Free Cycle" or Craig's list. Come friends with a person that sells replacement window and maybe they will look out for you some old windows.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I got lucky and scored 25 window plus 2 screen doors and a glass storm door today.. Im not sure how useable the windows are going to be but cause the side that was sitting on the ground is soft but Im sure I can figure out how to make it work.. Im good and that, its the story of my life...lol.. Ive been promised a sliding glass door from a friend when he replaces his so that will help a lot..
Ive got some metal windows coming too..I get them when they tear the building down they will call me and Ill be on hand to take them out... this green house might have 4 different sides to it by the time Im through but so long as it works I dont care...lol..

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I went to our public library's used book store today and I came across a book on building greenhouses by Ortho. I thought about all of you that had posted questions regarding greenhouses. Maybe those of you that are seeking information on plans could check your library or Amazon.com or other book websites. Even if the book is a few years old, it would probably still have basic plans and information in it that might be useful. Maybe Ortho has a website of their books they publish.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

Im a great one for books but the library in town has NOTHING on the subject so Ill have to haunt the used bookstore.. Im planning on having the bottom 2 ft in wood along with a combo gravel/ black cement block floor I cast my own pavers so Ill make them black to help retain heat. Ive got shelves, a sink and work benches already.. the front will consist of a sliding glass door with a set of metal windows on each side..I m hoping to get enough wood windows for the sides and then the other end will a storm door with metal winows on the sides.. Im going to try to figure a way to use shower doors for the roof cause they are tempered glass.. Id love to have the poly panels but have to do this as cheap as possible. I might be able to get ehm later on...Im going to try to figure a way to hinge them so I can vent with them but we shall see.. Im still in the collecting stage right now and Im going to collect more than I think I need cause its going to take some playing to make it work..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.