Help me figure out where to plant fruit trees & garden!

Dallas, GA

I have a dream of having a home orchard, but I have no idea how to make everything "fit" and still look attractive... I'd love to have your help in coming up with ideas!

Any fruit trees would have to be in the front/side yard, because the back yard is too shady.

Thankfully, we have a large property, but as you can see, the front yard is basically one long bowling alley of Bermuda grass.

In my "dream" world, I'd plant fruit and nut trees including figs, peaches, pears, apples, apricots, almonds, and pecans (I know, I know, I'm not overly ambitious or anything!!).

What I've thought is planting just two fruit trees in the front yard, at the very front of the property flanking the driveway, and planting the others in the "field" behind those Leland cypress (you can see those a little better in the second photo). That way all these different fruit trees would be somewhat hidden.

But if anyone can think of a design scheme that would put various fruit/nut trees in the front yard somehow, that would be ideal... maybe in one gigantic "bed" at the very front of the property?? or in rows on either side of the driveway?

Would love to hear your ideas for how to fit all these kinds of fruit trees in without it looking weird and unattractive. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Oh, I'm also trying to figure out where to put a small (10'x10'-ish) vegetable garden. Since I can't have it in the back yard because of the shade, I'm going to have to keep it small and "pretty." I'm thinking the best spot for it would be in the non-grassy area to the left between where the berry bushes are now... I'd have to grade it a little but I don't think that would be a big deal.

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!