So sad

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I just read that Captain Phil Harris from the Deadliest Catch as passed on. I know a few of you watched the show. He was one of my favorites, so sad for his sons they seemed so close to him. He was not in the best of health and a heavy smoker from what I saw on the show.
So long Captain Phil.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I hope he enjoyed his intense life on the ocean, too short though it was.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I didn't watch that but Jamie does. He really love that show. Those guys live a hard and exciting life. Holly

Of all the Reality shows on TV the History Channel has the Real Reality.
DC really makes you applicate the cost of a crab dinner.
I also watch Ax Men, that's about the logging industry. Thats another hard job and dangerous at times.

[quote=" lg
DC really makes you applicate the cost of a crab dinner.
. [/quote]

Yeah--I don't know whether to feel guilty and not eat crab--that they had to work so hard, or support them because they DO work so hard. Actually I have never eaten 'crab legs' just honest blue crabs

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

My son Chris is a big sea adventure fan, and I believe he watched that show some times. I think I saw it a couple of times, but don't really watch anything regularly. The commercials drive me nuts. So we lost another "hero.". Yes, we get crabs often and know why they cost.

Sorry for Capt. Phil's family.

The best ones are King Crab, less work eating them, bigger and meatier. I don't get them very often so they are a real treat.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We've watched the show occasionally, that is sad news :( Rick's fascinated with Ice Truckers and I'll catch a glimpse of it every once in a while - scares the heck out of me! I've seen Ax Men a couple of times too though I can't say we watch any of these regularly - the man behind the remote is ALWAYS changing the channels! LOL Ax Men reminds me of all the loggers in Maine. I remember one time when we were in Michigan and Rick was devastated with all the destruction the loggers had made in an area where we used to search for wildflowers. I told him it was always sad to see the mess those darned skidders make and he gave me a confused look - "what the heck is a skidder?" LOL Guess those city folk aren't as familiar with the tools of the trade as those of us who have lived in the woods :)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've never heard of any of this and will have to try to watch some if I can get that darn remote away from that "Captain".

Debbie, I catch Ice Road Truckers too, I know what you mean about being scared, I hate driving on snow covered roads let alone ice with fridged water underneath.
I'm just amazed at some of the camera shots on that show.

Stormy, you really need to catch some of those shows, sometimes it's the only thing good on TV.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, I don't watch that much TV since I joined DG, but I will try to check them out.

Quote from stormyla :
Lady, I don't watch that much TV since I joined DG.

yeah no time for tv--well I do watch Idol and some other stuff.

I'm on the computer a lot too, but the TV is in the same room. I do take breaks for the PC and flop in the recliner, watch TV and rub the girls bellies.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I sit on the sofa with computer on the lap while DSO is watching some nonsense.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quote from stormyla :
I sit on the sofa with computer on the lap while DSO is watching some nonsense.

My dream :) I've been asking Rick for a laptop for years but he thinks I spend enough time on the computer already :( I don't watch a lot of TV either and even when I do, the remote is always in someone else's control!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

rcn, Rick's right, you definitely would spend more time on the computer if you had a laptop, but you could spend it all with him. My desktop computer is at the top of the stairs where it's either too hot or too cold depending on the season. Thank goodness for my laptop. Pam

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just got a lap top for when we travel! But it's so much fun at home too. We can both be on line and confuse everyone! LOL Deadly Catch is awesome, I fish, and I fish in a small boat, but what those guys do is nuts. To just imagine being on deck and hammering ice from the rigging so you don't capsize is beyond belief. I think I'll stick to blue crab in pots I can row to. Ric

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Just got a lap top for when we travel!

That's primarily what I wanted it for but Rick says I spend enough time on it "at home" and can't understand why I would want it traveling with me. He thinks it's good to take a break but one of the things I miss the most is my daily emails from my mother :( You've got me thinking naughty thoughts! Why can't I have a laptop when he's on his SECOND X-Box?? I think I'll have to work on this :)

Chris, I know what you mean about "ice with fridged water underneath". I remember driving across those frozen lakes for ice fishing and I was always a nervous wreck!

Quote from rcn48 :

Chris, I know what you mean about "ice with fridged water underneath". I remember driving across those frozen lakes for ice fishing and I was always a nervous wreck!

Debbie, are you our junior ice trucker ? You also made me think of the ice fishing segment from the movie "Grumpy Old Men"

Ric, I can just see you watching DC, " I could handle that, but not that. Wow they must be crazy to do that. Ok that's not too bad." I guess Holly doesn't have to worry about you running off to Dutch Harbor to sign up.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady that was a lot of fun in that movie.

RCN, you should tell Rick that without all of that yakking time you do on your computer, you'd be spending time dreaming up more projects to do. That'll get him!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Debbie, Dell sells reconditioned 1 year olds on eBay very reasonably. I got a 14",60Gig w/ 1GB Ram, 4- 2.0 usb ports, Ethernet, wifi, and modem. A used router, neoprene sleeve, and Logitech wireless mouse, and only have about $300 in the whole mess. It came with XP which is what I have on my PC so everything works together. Ric
I also picked up a vintage leather shoulder bag in a Kitty Hawk thrift shop 2 years ago just for when we got a lap top. It would probably accommodate a 17". LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are great buys.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Stormy, I was impressed with what I got. I think we are going to get an external drive to store our pics on, and either upgrade or replace the PC tower. Heck you can get refurbed tower for $150 and free shipping. Ric

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Ric, thank you :) I really do want a laptop but if it means it will cut into my "garden whimsy" budget, I'm going to hold off for awhile longer!

We plan to get a laptop in place of a third standard compy--so that the laptop can be upstairs, away from the entertainment environment downstairs, and will be equipped for word processing and simple browsing. The Dell deal sounds good to me. One thing we've considered is to be able to access IMDB while watching a movie- ("who is that guy? What have we seen him in? What else did this director do?")

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, my computer is my companion information source to all of my TV viewing, especially if we are watching something historical. I check the portrayal against the facts.

Hope you've seen the HBO JOhn Adams then--pretty interesting

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Sally. As usual, it sent me into weeks of reading.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.