Any ideas for a Vine for extremely hot sunny area?

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

I would like to find a vine, a flowering one if possible that can really take the heat. Dry heat no less. Very little humidity. It would be in full sun and the trellis against a stucco wall, only adding to the heat the poor thing would have to endure. We get very hot here during the summer. Temperatures can be 105 to 110 for a week at times.

Is there such a vine that could handle such heat?

Watering is no problem. I have tried MG's (Ipomoea) but they struggled and of course didn't bloom but in the very wee hours of the morning.

Thanks for any help.
Dee

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I bet Blue Butterfly Pea Vine would do the trick. Loves heat, blooms like crazy.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My house faces south and is brick so it really hold and reflects heat, my passion flowers seemed to flourish in blazing hot sun. Suzie vines, Thunbergia alata, vignas aka Snail Vine & Corkscrew vine as well, the key being kept well hydrated.

X

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bougainvillea can really take it. They used to plant them in the access roads of the highway in Phx and the asphalt there can give a child 2nd degree burns if they fall on it with bare skin in the summer...so it gets hot. The bougies loved it. They look amazing against stucco walls too.

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree with angel_tree, bougainvillea are extremely drought tolerant and love the heat and sun. They grow quite well and they are all over your area as well.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure the bougies will survive the winter--they often don't make it here where I am, and Redding is slightly colder in the winter. Typically they're fine in zone 8 & 9, but California climates are a bit weird compared to other parts of the country in the same zones--although it doesn't usually get much below freezing, if we have a dry winter we do get quite a few frosts so there are a number of things that should grow in zone 8 & 9 that I have trouble with. Since it's up against a wall that may help so it's worth a try though--they are beautiful and thrive in sun & heat.

I also second the recommendation for Passiflora--I have P. 'White Wedding' growing on my back fence which faces due west and bakes in the sun all day long. We don't get quite as hot here, but we still have heat waves where it gets 100-110 and it's never shown the slightest bit of problem with that. It doesn't seem to spread by runners the way some other passies do (I made the mistake of planting 'Incense' without reading the comments on it in Plant Files...not a smart move!)

Solanum jasminoides is another one that I have baking in the sun for quite a bit of the day and it does fine. It grows pretty fast and needs to be pruned several times a year to keep it looking how I want it to which is the only downside, but it makes a great privacy screen (I'm growing it on a trellis outside my bedroom door to provide some privacy)

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Oh that Blue Butterfly Pea Vine is beautiful!

Bougainvillea would be beautiful, but you are right ecrane, it will not survive our winters. Though I probably will end up using an annual, would prefer perennial, but Bougainvillea doesn't grow fast enough.

I didn't think the passion flowers would be able to handle the heat. I have a couple here. This past summer was their first summer and they did well but are shaded a little in the afternoon. Same with the Thunbergia.

I have found out there is a big difference, from Texas/Florida and our heat because they have humidity. We have very low humidity and plants scorch much easier.

Think I will try the passion and Thunbergia this year and see what happens.

If anyone else has a tough as nails vine, let me know. Thanks
Dee

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't speak for other passies, but White Wedding is tough--I planted it during the summer (which is something I normally don't do because it's too hard for things to get established), and the summer that I planted it we had a couple heat waves where it was getting up to 110, and it didn't show any signs of stress at all even though it couldn't have been completely established yet. The one thing about it though is that it is a rather large vine--I have wire fencing across the whole back of my property (which is about 40 ft??), and it's now 2 yrs old and is covering almost half of the fence. So if you have one of those cute little wimpy trellises it'll outgrow it for sure.

Here's a picture of it--you can't see the whole thing but you'll get the idea.

Thumbnail by ecrane3
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You might consider Cross vine, Bignonia capreolata. I've seen photos of it growing in desert areas so it must take a lot of dry heat. Google Crossvine and you'll come up with a lot of websites that have information on it.

I planted a native crossvine and the cultivar Cross vine, Bignonia capreolata ‘Dragon Lady, last summer. Very pleased with the rate of growth as well as it's appearance and it will cling to rough surfaces such as a privacy fence without other support. Has those little sucker things plus tendrils.

Adaptable to a wide range of gardening conditions, 'Dragon Lady' in particular is both drought & damp tolerant & is hardy farther north than is the wild species.

I don't know if it will take your week of exceptionally high heat but it's worth looking into. It sounds like it would be evergreen in your area, too. It is a perennial vine so you'd probaby only get the one heavy bloom period. I don't know if it puts out occasional blooms the rest of the season but if evergreen in your area, that would be a plus. Also attracts Hummingbirds.

Mary

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aren't the Distictis vines hardy in 8b? Those would be good.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49881/
yep! And I think easier to find in CA than other areas.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh thank you for keeping this going and your suggestions.

The Distictis would be beautiful but I know they say part shade. Here in Redding if almost anything says part shade it means it is a must and can't handle our intense sun and heat. Let alone right in front of a stucco wall.

Will have to look into the the Cross Vine you mentioned Mary. Thanks

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Another thing you might do is look around you and see what plants are thriving in your sun. Vacant lots usually have lots of vines in them .. find out the name of the plant and do a genus search and see if there is a species in the genus that might match your requirements.

X

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have the hybrid disitcitis here in the Phx valley in a south western sun position near a hot roof and a concrete column and it loves it. It's been there for I think 3 summers now and our sun is the worst it gets, so on this one where it says sun to part sun, sun is OK. I have the 2 species plants but still in pots in a protected area, so can't comment on them except to say that I had the red planted at one time in a part shade spot and it starved for light :(.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Now that sounds promising. Will have to try it. Thanks so much for all the help.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

What about Antigonon leptopus? This one has nice leaves and flowers wonderfully in the heat.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

I just got some seeds and am going to try them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think it depends on if you want the vine to be deciduous or evergreen and whether or not you want it to be a caterpillar host. I like yellow orchid vine which is evergreen and offers year round interest(yellow orchid flowers in summer and butterfly like pods in winter). another option is hardenbergia. Pyracantha is another option but has thorns.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.