Mid-Atlantic Musings - Page 3

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thought I would start a new thread, as page 2 is getting rather long now.
We are coming from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072745/

Tried to keep my little birds fed throughout the snowstorm.
Here's a few... in case you don't follow the birdwatching forum.

This Carolina Wren got the Titmouse's peanut!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

And the Titmouse got a sunflower seed... but he wasn't spitting anything out yesterday!
Wonder why????

Two juncoes...
First the Dark-eyed Junco male, all fluffed up!

And the female...

I loved this little Song Sparrow!

And one more...
Black-capped Chickadee

Please continue your musings about your handsome boys!
I only have girls, and I know that all too soon, we will be in trouble!
All of you have handsome sons for sure though!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

funny I took a bunch of birdie shots myself yesterday.. didn't pull them off the camera yet.. but love all your shots!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Great bird shots Wild Rose

We have 2 male and female children in our family. The females were h__ on wheels in their mid teen to early 20's. Now they are our best friends. The males always deferred to mom and helped dad.

Now we have seven grandsons and a plan for a new baby next year. If it's a girl it probably will be raised the same way that the boys were. Our daughters were sports minded tomboys. The older one was on the Rutgers ski team and the younger one was on every team imaginable and played 4 years varsity basketball for UPenn. Her husband is the head strength training coach there and everyone in the family is some kind of sports nut.

Picture here is of my sons family. I am hoping to see some of the boys this weekend and will take more pictures of them having fun.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hiya all - what a beautiful day this is - cold, with brilliant sunshine and still lots of snow! Our birds are well fed - made sure we filled the feeder with seeds and suet once the snow tapered off - DH shoveled all the snow late yesterday, it had already frozen behind the cars, so he had to use a spade on the worst of it - his car is still completely covered, I hope it melts by Thursday, I need my car to pick up my aunt and cousin :-) Since I hardly ever leave the house we decided that keeping the SUV for "winter emergencies" was the way to go, his Mustang is worthless in winter ^_^ But, every now and then I need my car - he just went to Teeters to pick up the food we ordered for our "Super Bowl party for 2" - I'm watching the pre-show ^_^ I do need to work tonite...I ignored work Fri & Sat, now I have to play catch-up! Have a fun afternoon/evening and be careful tomorrow if y'all have to get on the roads - Beck

Our daughters are 10, 11, and 12 years old.
I think in another 3-4 years, my life is going to become considerably more difficult!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Bec and Gita--must almost feel at home with this snow. My mom's street has not been plowed - the neighbor says 'nothing' has been done which probably means the main road is travelable but not the secondary, and she's a turn off that. I don't know if we can try it tomorrow, even to walk in . MIL is in a senior, subsidized apt and that lot is not cleared. You'd hope the cpounty will at least plow to the door for emergency. Our court is clear (neighbor) but our next streeet is very slick and snowpacked. The closest main street is still one and a half to two very narrow, snowy lanes. All schools closed Monday, yeah no kidding, ya think??

All the MA girls are just as beautiful as are the MA boys~~
My friend has three girls and the older two have gone almost 180 degrees this year from foes to friends. It possibly in response to a near tragedy for the family, partly that the older will be going away to college this fall, any hoo very nice to see, and live with. VaWR- you should start buying makeup and hair products NOW so you'll be able to keep up with the demand in a couple years.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL You're right about that Sally. Back in the 80's era of big hair, my nieces used so much freeze spray that when I would go to wipe the vanity surface, the paper towels would stick to it and tear apart. And VWR, hide your favorite new clothes. Even though mine were way too big for them, they were always raiding my sweat shirts and costume jewelry, especially in that era of big earrings.

Glad to hear you are mobile Bec, those pix didn't look like you'd be.

VWR, Those photos are great. I like that little Song Sparrow too.

Roses, you must have very boisterous family gatherings with all of those boys. Your son's family looks wonderful. It is amazing how girls make that transition. I find it very amusing when they finally realize that you had some clue about what you were doing. My one niece once told me that she always hated it when she didn't follow my advice and then always later turned out to wish she had. She also thanked me for never saying I told you so. I told her, that I could see that she was beating herself up enough about it, that I certainly didn't need to throw any punches.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! Our block has collectively dug everybody out, and we're glad to have Jim home this evening (he was due back Friday from Kazakhstan but got delayed in Frankfurt and then diverted to NYC). He's napping right now. Joyanna and I are giggling at the Super Bowl commercials. She's just kicking happy feet and giggling at anything & everything tongiht... I think she's just very happy to have Daddy home!

Great photos on this and the previous thread... lots of justifiably proud parents here!

Rose, thanks for sharing the bird photos! I filled all the feeders before the snow started, but the *(#$&^ starlings came this afternoon and wiped out the peanut butter feeder and the mixed seed in the hopper feeder. Now I have to wait a few days before putting out PB or suet again. I know they get hungry too, but they chase all the others away and then get into fights with each other that leave feathers & blood on the deck.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jill, so glad everyone is under one roof again.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

VWR, I love your bird pics I have a hard time getting anything that close and clear. Neither my camera or I are up to it. LOL
Yes, I have two lovely daughters as well, I think I talk more about the boys as they help more with the projects and such. They are in and out so often getting tools, using the barn and helping out. None of my children live far but the boys live a bit closer. So I mention them more often. Jen has a full time job and two very young children and Juls works two jobs and a pretty active social life.
R_R_R, Lovely family
Critter, So glad that Jim is home.

gosh I'm surprised Jim got in- I only heard one airplane today and it was a prop(eller). Bwi must not have all its runways open yet.
Was thinking today-- by the time this snow melts the snowdrops will probably pop alomst instantly. And crocus! I hoping the snow blanket allows some underground warmth to move UP.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I hear we are suppose to get another foot of snow on Wednesday.
Here is a picture of Julie. She is my oldest, always busy but I get a lot of calls from her. Those Hi Mom what are you doing calls.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

[quote="sallyg"]

quote]
Told ya!
Gee the poor snow plow drivers--they're gonna be exhausted---but well paid with OT

She is a beauty!

My girls are beauties too, I know that... that's what I'm worried about!
They are all pretty much tomboys and nature lovers like us right now though.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, we had our hands full when she was a teenager. LOL But we weathered the storm and she has become a lovely young lady. She did some promotional modeling when she was younger you know the pretty girl at the car, boat, or sportsman shows.
Sally, Jamie works on the snow removal crew in the winter. He had asbestos training on Friday his class was over about 4:00pm and he then reported to work about 6:00pm for the snow crew they don't come home he never got off till about noon today. Said he had about 5 hour sleep since he got up Friday morning at 5:00am. Well the OT is going to be great he gets paid for the entire time. Poor thing had to come home and plow his own drive and it is a long one.

Quote from sallyg :
Quote from sallyg :

Told ya!
Gee the poor snow plow drivers--they're gonna be exhausted---but well paid with OT

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, That's really a lovely picture of Julie. You should blow it up for her. Is she Josh's twin?

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Robins enjoying the pond before the big snow ...

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 6:52 AM

Thumbnail by orchidfancy

I posted the wrong picture , still Robbins

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had a bunch of Robins visit here over the weekend as well.. very cool shots

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here are the ones I like the best out of the shots I took over the weekend

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

jay

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

tm

Thumbnail by onewish1

What a nice collection of photos , you did not get any snow?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No, Julie is the oldest that was taken last summer she was 38. Jul is our princess as a teenager her hobbies were talking on the phone and shopping. Hey those are still her hobbies. LOL She is defiantly a girly girl but a very hard worker. She has almost always worked a full time and part time job. She is really a social person with a large network of friends. Jen & Josh are the twins 5 years younger than Julie. Then Jamie 7 years after that.
I have been looking for a good pic of Jen. Finally found this. She has a baseball cap on in almost all the outside pics. Jen was the tomboy, really good at sports and can talk football with the best of them. She is the mother of Lily (almost 3) & Lucas (just turned 1). She was the real equestrian of the family.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 7:55 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks no we did not get any snow

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

orchidfancy, Love, Love, Love those Robin pics. We never see Robins in the winter.
I'd love to see some summer pics of your ponds, too.
onewish, Great shots I have gotten to the point that I don't hardly even try to get bird shots from the house. Holly

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you Holly.. it doesn't hurt that my peanut feeder is on the deck.. helps me cheat a bit

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My feeder is too far out. I get a lot of little birds on the patio as we spread seeds on it but pictures through my windows don't get real good and if I open something to try and get a clear shot everyone flies away. I get alot of birds sitting on the wisteria right next to the sliding door. I swear they sit there and strike a pose for me, then fly away laughing. LOL Ric came down stairs one morning complaining that the house was freezing and wanted to know why I had the sliding door open. :-}
Not to mention my own limited skills, I tend to be slow and shaky. I was keeping the tripod set up in the living room but till I would get there and set up the shot the bird would be gone. I really should start to practice more.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the camera does help me a lot

Hollyanns:Here is a picture of my pond in the summer. I ebuilt it completely last spring. I really like itit will be even better this year

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

OMG, that beautiful shot is enough to bring me out of my snow depression this morning - gorgeous!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Good Morning from Sunny Florida!!

Has anyone seen a run away truck because I know one had to run over me last night the way I feel this morning.
So much for not remembering the last time I had a hang over!! It was worth it though. How bout them Saints!!
If any city deserves it those people sure do!!!!

Have you guys dug out from your snow storm yet? God Bless you guys, I don't know how you can live with that junk!!
I'm going to start shipping the first bulbs of the season today!!! It's been a longgggg off-season!!!
Hopefully Spring is only right around the corner and you'll be enjoying spectacular colors before you know it!!!

biLL

Thumbnail by Caladiums4Less
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wonderful photo of your son's family, RRR :) Looks like they were on a tropical vacation with those sunburns? LOL

Holly, I don't think I've ever seen pictures of your girls - beautiful young women :) I was so fortunate with Emily, we never had the usual disruptions so many come to expect with a teenaged girl. I think the only problems I had with her were the times she became so upset with her brothers - Ben was the biggest tease! They're all best friends now though :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.