Cleome 2010

Melbourne, FL

I love beautiful Cleome. Started a few for spring. This is an older pic.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Here is one of my new seedlings, just planted out this morning. I have one more still under a grow light.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is pretty. I received some seeds in a seed swap. Do you have any tips for seed starting Cleome?

Melbourne, FL

I just plant em' and pray!

(Zone 6a)

Yes, watch out for slugs! They ate it so fast I completly forgot I had put it there till I accidentaly dug up the little stump.

Safers slug and snail bait saved my garden last summer! Seriously.

Melbourne, FL

You know, that's one thing I have never had a problem with (so far). Thanks for the warning, though. I have not grown these for a few years, I'm looking forward to having them again. Anybody else have any pics they would like to add to this thread, please do.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Edited for double post;)

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 7:47 PM

Plant and watch out! Monterous things Cleome...
Out of flower, they look a lot like Cannabis, and very spiny, don't touch! Dwarf Cleome,
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/785/
is not as spiny, and smaller, and blooms eariler.

VERY self-sowing. Each individual flower yeilds 20 seeds. I am not kidding. And with each plant bearing 1,000+ flowers, there is no shortage of Cleome here.

~Daniel

(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah! Yet another Cannabis look alike!

lol.

Dwarf Cleo>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!! All the purdy colours! Mine got really tall. I just broad cast them in the garden where I want them. Chances are I will have volunteers.

They are classified as "invasive" in some areas. Plant once and you have it forever!

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Which the canabi or the cleomes??? LOL!

(Not that I dont know that answer and I will shoot the guy I catch planting the one!)

What?
You are going to shoot me cuz I planted Cleome and am going to plant Hibiscus cannabis... lol?

~Daniel

Nice! Can you wait?>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!!

Well I got a pile of cleome seeds Ima thnking im gonna broadcast in a orange daylily bed for contrast.

Im still wondering what I am gonna put into the old sunflwoer patchthis year because Iamsure I di not have enough sunny seed to plant that big of a plot and well its to wet, then too dry for punkins which I do have a ton of seed for.

Been wondering if I could buy a bag of sunflower seed that is meant for bird seed? The hub says they roast them so dont waste the money to get them for planting.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

canna-cleome?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Zone 6a)

Our bird seed always sprouted in the summer. Get the one thats called 'Black oil' or something like that.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm..SW, did you let any flower?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey SW// check this out! I was researching the sunflwoers trying to find where to get in bulk....then I cam across this...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg041135273386.html

(Zone 6a)

Yup, they were on the small side and yellow. There were growing through a thick layer of sunnyseed shells so that might have to do with their small size.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well supposedly what I found is they can get 6-8 feet tall.. but someone was complaining that the hulls were toxic....maybe thats what stunted them?

(Zone 6a)

That is probably it. Its funny though that they might have been poisoned by their own seed shells.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

What about someone eating the shells? But then the birds eat them...

(Zone 6a)

I've eaten sunny shells(with seeds in them), you have to really chew them so they don't stab your throat on the way down, but never had any nasty effects from it.

Aren't Sunnie seed alleopatic... containing chemicals that kill other plants?

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, thats what the link I posted said, that the hides were toxic.. Nutritionally, I have leared something that too much potassium has a bad effect with feeding them to certain horses... I never thought people were feeding them to horses, but some do, some with marvelous results for a shine coat and weight gain, but there are a few that react badly to the black oil sunnies.

Im game to try them out in the prairie for the birds though. its aboutall that grows out in that spot other than lambsquarters and a couple other weeds.

I do not know if the toxidity is the same on the grey stripe or not... gues I wil have to look in to that.

As for the shells onthe black oil it is not as coarse as the grey stripe to which I dont think anyone would enjoy eating the hulls of. But the hearts are great!

Nice pic there as usual Dan.

Thanks BB. lol.

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, whars the cleomes???!

Nice sunny guess we will have to make or pull up the sunny thread eh?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have 2 questions about cleomes.
Can you actually broadcast them and they take care of themselves?
Can they take more shade than, say, hollyhocks?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I put mine in a place that was mostly shade.. broadcasted them, they did very well.. see canna-cleomes above. (Not their real name.. they are just cleomes..!)

I plant hollyhocks in the sun.

Thanks, just what I needed.

Woodsprit,

Cleos HATE shade, but that will make them a bit less invasive...
Dwarf Cleo (the species, not those new hybrids) willl take a lot more shade, perhaps up to only 2 direct sun a day. Here>http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7543130

If you are SURE you want them in your garden, just throw some seeds where you want them. Weed when you feel like it, but only in an "established" garden,lol.

Well, here's another Cleo>

~Daniel

This message was edited Feb 26, 2010 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Melbourne, FL

The mix of colors is beautiful. My favorite is the pink, though.

Now I have 2 diametrically opposed answers about sun/shade. I may try both!
I have a rich purple cleome - wish I had some of those seeds. Wouldn't they be beautiful with the white ones?

yeah... a great combo... Purple and White... Beautiful!

Do tell if Cleome hate shade or love it in your garden next year!

~Daniel

The first year or two they did fine in the shade but never thereafter. I will let you know about this year.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

These were planted in a spot that is mostly shade... the early part of the day they got morning sun.. after that it was all shade! They got to be about 3 feet tall....some more others less... I got lots of seed off them too!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have Cleome in bright shade. They grow quite tall and reseed profically every year. However, they are not invasive here. I pull the ones up I don't want. Actually, I have to thin them
I ordered white Cleome this winter and have misplaced the seed. That drives me crazy. :( Hopefully, they will show up. They are not with the rest of my seeds.

Melbourne, FL

Maybe here in the South I should plant mine in shade. The first one I planted out is struggling, but I think that is the cold that is hanging on this winter, more than the sun.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, you guys in FL got a different light there thats for sure. How about a partly sun/shade spot?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.