California spring is on the way!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067506/#new

Winter is almost over for California - spring is just around the corner. Whoopee!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

That's right, we had our couple days of winter. Who says we don't have seasons?

Randy, you can do a 'flyover' on the satelite version of the map sites. Also a good one is zillow.com where you can put in an address, go to the site and even do a 'birds eye view' and look at the property from different directions. Not that I know about stalking.......

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

We usually have more frosty weather here in Feb and Mar. And even though my neighbor's daylilies are blooming (paraphrasing The Who), I won't get fooled again!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I see the mulberry trees have some leaves unfurling and the gardenia has had buds for awhile, but not blooming. Tomatoes have flowers and hummers visiting. Last year's peppers and basil are even putting out new leaves! I wonder if those will produce again?

I believe I've read they are perennial in So. America where they all originally came from....?

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

My largest liquidamber thinks it's still Fall.....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

One of the first three flowers to open on the cistus purpurea...

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

A few flowers starting to open on the cistus skanbergii...

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Tagetes lemmonii still blooming...

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

One salvia Costa Rica Blue in the nursery blooming...

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Salvia involucrata x Kathy still blooming....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy

My Daphne aureo-marginata is blooming for the first time!

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Salvia africana-lutea blooming now....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Savia gesneriiflora Tequila still blooming...

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Plactranthus False Boldo.....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Salvia Jean's Purple Passion....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Hydrangea Shooting Stars....

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, I need to go looking for a daphne...I haven't had that in many years and they smell soooo wonderful.

It does smell wonderful----I got this one last spring and it was kinda pricey, but SOO worth it!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've gotta break out my camera. I have lots of blooms as well. My cistus isn't blooming yet, but I have lots of other things.

QG. My address is down on the highway about a third mile from my house, so when you use one of those 'flyover' websites....google earth etc. It only shows my mailbox which is a long way from my house.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Very interesting...I hadn't checked this site before (Zillow). What I learn is how incorrect much of the info is and that they're basing it on old and incomplete info.....since we pretty much know 28 years worth of past history, selling prices, square footage on the houses around us and what's been done to which ones that doesn't show on their lists. I wonder how many people base any decisions on what they see here...lol...

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

No fair Sherry, you obviously never had winter yet. LOL

Yes, Zillow is not accurate at all. On our home it doesn't even show the addition. But what kills me is there is no privacy at all anymore about anything. I bet our medical records will soon be online for all to see. A crrep gets your phone number and in minutes he is looking at a picture of your house.

Here we have met all the signs of spring in JANUARY no less.

Called Harbinger Of Spring in full purple glory (Hardenbegia violacea Happy Wanderer)

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Crocus

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And my favorite MAGNOLIAS! Hey all purples.......................

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And of course the stunning acacias that are just all over now in full yellow suit.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Fruit trees are starting to shout out.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The great blues from ceanothus.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The bright red of Ribes speciosum.

Thumbnail by Kell
Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

im ready for it bring it on

Thumbnail by CherokeeGreg
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Ahhh, your bananas came thru winter in such great shape. Perfect leaves!

And my last and best harbinger of spring is my friend's potful of happiness -- pure lachenalia. Every single spring for thte last 5 years I have magically shown up when this pot is in full swing.

Thumbnail by Kell

Well, I just added THAT to my want list! Please add your photo to PlantFiles, Kell---the others are nice, but not nearly so spectactular as yours!!!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Janet. Yes it is so cheerfully spectacular. Peg has no clue where she got these or even what they are called. They have been in that pot for over 20 years. She has never even changed the soil. The only thing that happens is that she digs bulbs out for friends every year. I posted a pic to the ID forum here a few years back to learn the name. I then searched all over here for them to no avail. Sadly, they started me on my latest needy pursuit of South American winter growers.

Hers are also the best ones I have ever seen of them.

Last year a booth had them at the San Francisco Flower and Garden Show. About $10 for a pot of 1. Jeesh.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 2:29 PM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Janet, are you aware of Ribes speciosum? I had never seen this one before this week. I now have a huge red crush on it. A perfect Valentine!

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 2:39 PM

Thumbnail by Kell
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They kind of remind me of red hot pokers. Have you tried asking ours members who live waay south?
Amazing and magical. Kell, you been hiding under a bushel your photos are really beautiful.
wc, how are you able to get such clear photos of the salvia? I keep trying and haven't been able to take any that I'm happy with yet. Sigh . . .
We definitely need to talk about salvia's you have so many beautiful kinds! The rain and mild temps are really helping everything to bud out early around here. Although, you all up north are getting things blooming that aren't blooming for me yet.
Has anyone heard from Chrisw? Last year he has the lovely thread about all the different flower bulbs. I was hoping to see how they were doing this year.
I have photos to share. You all will be sick of me. While in the garden I blew my knee out. The good news is that my God Son, Michael will be able to complete the gardening task. I had just gotten done showing him how and the why when the knee went sideways. OUCH! Mostly soft tissue damage, and I have to take it easy and stay off it.
Oh and Cherokee Greg, good going on that Banana. I know I kept mine alive in a pot for years. Yours looks great better than mine ever did. Good job, there!
WIB!
SW

I have lots of photos in the archives from the last month I haven't gotten a chance to post. I insist on gimping out to the pool to see how the dirt/silt removal is going. Should take my camera with me the next time.
Good to hear from you Northerners. I was beginning to wonder about you! : - )

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell,
We cross posted, and while I'm not Janet, can I say, WOW! I want one!
Lovely Ribes speciosum!
WIB,
SW

That is quite spectacular. I'll have to look it up---I had a ribes before and as I recall it didn't take our summer heat well, but I was pretty clueless about plants then, too.

I found some sources for the lachenalia, but most are in Australia. However, there's a rare bulb nursery in Ferndale that has them listed (although they're not shipping now).
http://www.telosrarebulbs.com/
Seems to have good ratings in PlantScout, too.

I think the one in your photo may be what she calls "quadricolor"?
http://www.telosrarebulbs.com/images/6280-Lac-aloides-quadicolor.jpg

SW, and then WE cross-posted....sorry to hear about your knee; that sucks.

I just looked up the ribes in PlantFiles, and I don't think I have a 4x4 space left for one!! But it's a CA native so it might be happy somewhere on your property.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes Janet, Lachenalia aloides var. quadricolor. There are a couple online sites, I am just too cheap to pay so much per little tiny bulb. Also I have my own pot from dear Peg! LOL George also gave me some though his are a bit different.

Peg also has some Lachenalia aloides in that pot. Oh how I need my own pot of this one too. I am a green bloom freak for sure. Look to the rightof pot esp down front. This was from a year or 2 ago.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

SW, hope your knee does not stop your daily walks! I bet Ribes speciosum would love your yard! You are so lucky to have such room. I can only dream of having enough space to have all the plants I want.

I am to the dentist for my toothache. Wish me lots of luck. Poor me!

Here is another Californian native that is so cool. It is next to the Ribes speciosum.

Garrya elliptica, Coast Silk Tassel

Thumbnail by Kell
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Cherokee Greg...those bananas are looking awfully good for winter in Fresno!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.