Zamia furfuracea

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

A photo I took a couple of days ago at my Moms house, New Smyrna Beach, Island of Venezia. Anyone have any recomendations? I plan to germinate these, and the others as well, Ed

Thumbnail by edric
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

is there another Zamia around? If not, they are probably not fertile. If they are, they are very easy to germinate (like many palm seeds, only easier)

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, yes, there are two large clumps of them, Ed

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

two different sexes for sure?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

The leaves almost look like a carboard palm, but that is only a wild guess. I don't know if CBoard palms bloom.

noonamah, Australia

The "Cardboard Palm" isn't actually a palm, it's a cycad. Cycads are non-flowering so they don't actually "bloom". There's separate male and female plants and they reproduce sexually (although some can reproduce asexually as well). The plants produce cones rather than flowers, the male cones having pollen and the female cones having the ovules. Edric's photo is of a female cone of Zamia furfuracea, commonly called Cardboard Palm.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, TBreeze. Now I know more about what I have.
Will I be able to determine if my cycad is a male or female before it produces a cone?
It's so slow growing!!!!

Simi Valley, CA

Beautiful photo. I hope I'm replying to this correctly! I'm referring to the seeds you intend to propogate. Beautiful. I want to ask a question about my Cycads. I'm having problems with yellowing. I've tested the soil (thinking acid was off), but Ph is 6.5 - should be okay. I have one Cycad in bad, bad shape that does show as low on nitrogen & phosphorous. I'm sure that needs to be corrected, but does this account for yellowing? This plant started out yellowing and kept getting worse. Now all leaves have yellowing and the tips are brown. I have 2 other Cycads & they are in pots. They are yellowing but are actually a bit high in Nitrogen, Ph is okay (6.5 ish), but are low in Phosphorous & Potash. These two are just yellowing so far but I'm afraid they are going down the same road as the first one and I don't know what to do. Would greatly appreciate some thoughts & ideas. Thanks!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Simi is hot and dry and that is probably the cause of your yellowing.. .Zamias like humid and mod warm climates. Hard to keep these from yellowing in a dry climate, particularly in full sun. I have a good friend in Simi who has many of these in his front yard and they are all yellowy. Doubt fertilizer problems have anything to do with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.