Stupid question...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm planning on trying to grow tomatoes from scratch - got all my supplies & am ready to go - when should I start seeds indoors? I do have grow-lights...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Bec, I'm in zone 5, I can't set out my tomatoes without protection till almost the end of May. I start my seeds the first week of April. Tomato seeds germinate easily and grow fast. I fell that starting them too early doesn't give them any advantage, once they are set outside and the weather warms up they take off and catch up.
Chris

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bec, I always figure 6-8 weeks before last frost date, which for us is roughly Mother's Day. You may be good to go a week or 2 before that if you can protect them over night if needed. Ric

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes start them inside.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Okey - thanks y'all - I'll start them inside in mid-March then - I have a covered deck and I can pretty much put everything outside a few weeks early

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec--

In 2008--I planted my Tomato seedlings out in the beds 3rd week in April--as they were 12" tall already.
Don't know WHY they grew so well!
Tried to find the picture--but could not.....I KNOW I have it.

Last year, they never grew at all--I threw them all out......Might be something I did--but it seemed that many people had issues with seedlings last Spring--nationwide.

Will try again this Spring. I plan to start my Tomato seeds about the second or third week in April.
The usual recommendation is 6 weeks before the last frost dare. Here--it is May 10th. , but I often sneak my plants out by the end of April and hold my breath......;o)

Gita

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - sounds like me - I had all my plants out on the deck way before last frost date and they all did just fine - I tried flower seeds last year and had no luck at all - they started out like gangbusters, and then a sudden stop in growth, didn't die, just 'sat' there! Did the same thing you did, tossed out nearly all of them - this year I'm trying something different, starting them under lights and a little earlier than last year - so we'll see ^_^ I'm also going to try what I saw my neighbor do last year, she started a bunch of annuals in the outdoor planters, put plastic wrap over them and just left them alone - then voila, she had flowers! I already have my seeds and sowing supplies - now it's just waiting...^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.