Signs of spring 2010

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

So the old rodent Phil saw his shadow. What does he know? I am seeing signs of spring already , even if it is snowing as I type.
Sunday I took this picture out the dinning room window....daff leaves picking out of the snow. Monday morning the birds were chirping, and on my drive to work the aroma of squished skunk.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Woo hoo!!!! good to see green in the snow.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

We have daffodil tips poking out of the ground in various places. Also, my Northstar tart cherry and Juneberry trees have swolen buds. The two Pierus have buds (I love these shrubs!!) In March they will have long panicles of pearl-like white flowers that last about a month!!

Elsewhere, the lilacs are also swollen. But the roses are still quite asleep.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had a Pieris but had to pull it out it was squooshed in between my rhodies

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Right now I think the closest sign of spring I can find is the forsythia branches I'm forcing. Haven't seen much outside that makes we think spring yet. Of course it has been so cold that I might not have taken the time to look. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My Butterfly Bushes have a lot of new growth on them. Reminds me I have to chop them down to about 14" or so before too long.....

My daffs are up too--not much--but up! Today was quite warm (for winter) so i am sure many plants went---"AAAHHH!"...
You DO know that snow is one of the best insulators around??? Keeps the frost off of plants......

Everything is just too wet to go explore! NOT going to get any better this weekend.......:o((

Gita

Wow! Butterfly bush growth already? Mine take a long time to wake up, must be the verity.
All my plants are tucked in under the snow, but some are, like the daffs, sticking there fingers out from under the blanket to test the air.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have all of the above and more. All of my bulbs are above ground. I didn't protect anything in cages this year and so many shrubs are budded now. I guess the warm fall kept everything from a deep sleep. My Camellias look like they will bloom by the end of this month and not in April.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Weellllll, by now many of us will have to wait weeks before a chance of seeing anything green! Forsythis is buried under MOUNTAIN of snow now, can't even get branches to force. But I hear the cardinals doing the What- cheer call, it seems like I hadn't heard that for awhile. Do they do it all winter, or is it mating thing? And goldfinches will get more gold in spring.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started hearing that as well this week

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL All of my bulbs that were above ground are probably looking for their longjohns!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh noooo the poor babies

Need to start knitting little bulb caps, Stormy LOL

I left work early today, started to snow, that really fine stuff that melts and then starts to pile up and get slushy. Don't want to be on the roads when everyone is in a rush to get home.

Sally I know what you are talking about, I look forward to hearing that cardinal call too, not sure what it means.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey guys we saw the very first sign of Spring. Yep the first Robin of the season was here today. What a surprise we never have Robin's this time of year. Yes he was right out there in the snow. Spring must surely be right around the corner. LOL Holly

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've seen them for more than a week now.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, That's pretty funny.

I get a funny HAA HAA in once in a while.

No robin siteing here, but the wild turkies have been showing up in the fields. Saw a group of 5 /6 yesterday and again today.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We never have Robins here in the winter. Ric was just commenting on that on another thread. Someone (maybe Sally) said that when the snow melts all the bulbs will pop. I think that is just what will happen. We will go from snow covered to crocus covered. Looking forward to pics of Joyanna's crocus garden.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

There goes my PIeirus!! They are bent double from a heavy dumping of snow!!! With any luck, they'll snap back. I got a picture of them from inside the window looking out but I can't find it!!

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

No green here. No robins, either, just lots of snow. I hope it stays around a while to insulate my plants. Maybe I should move a zone soouth, February is always so dreary in the Poconos.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

There seem to be seaguls around here now. I never saw them here before this year. I'm also seeing more Hawks and Turkey Vultures.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 11:17 PM

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I have also been seeing lots of hawks and turkey vultures. Hope the hawks are getting some of the voles! One hawk was circling when I was walking Tiffany yesterday morning. I shortened her leash, keeping her closer to me just in case. She weighs nearly 20 lbs, the hawk would have an easier time with squirrels, chipmunks and voles.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Signs of spring....... I had a flock of robins in our maple tree out front, as soon as I get new batteries in my camera I'll post the pics.

I am sure the weather conditions have pushed a lot of wildlife out of their usual hunting area.

The flocks of turkeys have been expanding in numbers, they are starting to come out of the woods hunting for food in the more open areas. I saw about 20+ turkeys on my way home the other day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.