retired, living self sufficently in Alabama

Vernon, AL

started adding the paddles

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

more paddles being added.

Vernon, AL

4 in. lip added here to hold the water in for the longest time it can in oder to get the most power from the wheel.

Vernon, AL

orange duct tape added where i can count the rpm's of the wheel better and because my grandkids said it looked kewl. LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow! How cool!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Very ingenious! I have no clue about undershot, overshot ect.

Vernon, AL

an overshot wheel is where the water strikes the wheel at 12:00 or so an the weight of the water and the force turns the wheel. an undershot wheel the water current its self hits the paddles an moves the wheel around .. difference being, an overshot is 90% efficent or more .. an a undershot wheel is around 60% efficent.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, Cajun, we really do learn something new everyday! :)

Richmond, TX

Neat design, thanks for the pictures!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Nice work, thank you for the photos. I have a creek but I am still unsure if it is actually *on* my property or not, won't know for sure until I have a survey done. But it is so far from the house, as well as below where the house is, that I couldn't do anything power-wise with it considering my lack of expertise in almost everything...LOL!

Thanks for sharing your endeavors!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for that explanation. It's really simple and even I could understand it. I have a nice little creek in my yard. How do you make electricity from the wheel? I know how to use it say on a grist wheel but how do you turn the water's force into electricity?

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Vernon, AL

ill post more pictues as soon as this rain stops and i can get back outside again. but i have the pulleys on the wheel now that will turn pma's to generate power from there to my battery bank that my solar panels and wind mill charges now. so it will help suppliment power as needed, the next pic's i post will help you understand and invision it a little more.

Vernon, AL

CajuninKy ..... i looked at the pic you posted of your creek, good amount of water flow there that has great potential. you could make lots of free power off that . actualy it seems to be about the same size an flow rate of mine. judging from the water going over the rocks. i would be more than glad to answer or help you any way i can.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Cajun, Beautiful little creek!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sweet! My first thought was how ideal that would be for a water supply and pumped with a ram pump. Just me tho, I could do without electricity but miss having water.

Looking forward to your information, Sailer.

Vernon, AL

Podster... ram pumps are totaly simple to build an actualy requires no maint. only thing wrong with them is that they only provide 10% of the water that goes through them. but on a lighter note. thats 10% more than what you have plus its totaly FREE .. LOL

Absolutely and the amazing thing is I know folks that use them with virtually no maintenance except keeping the screens clean. I have walked our property out in search of a spring for that very reason but it is not to be. I do like that creek!

Vernon, AL

Podster....
wait untill the dry part of the summer, walk it again an look for any sign of a 'damp' spot. or moss an fern growing low to the ground, if you find a spot like that, a few shovels deep you might find the spring your looking for. plants and plant life will show you water than you never knew existed

My mind was on the same track. I have a spot that I plan to go back to. It holds water even when it was dry this winter but I suspect it is the soil under rather than a water source. The surrounding foliage doesn't indicate a constant water source. We are in rattlesnake country so I will have to work up my courage when it is warmer.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I want to trace the creek to it's origin if possible. I believe it may be spring fed from the strip mining job a mile or so away. There is a road (4 wheeler) that goes to the top and the creek seems to be next to the road. I could ride my horse up there.

Vernon, AL

ok i slipped out between showers n took a quick pic of the bearings an pully on my waterwheel. a belt will drive a modified auto alternator that i made into a PMA alternator. and yes thoes are lawnmower blades i used and deck bearings also. reason is i already had em plus they are tempered steel they will flex and bend without breaking. just have four bolts holdin them on also. there'll be 2 more per side when its finished, or at least two per side. also on the other side of the wheel is another set of bearings an also another pulley. i can dual drive from it if need be. also the mounting flanges on the bearings make a perfect mounting space for the waterwheel mount. which will consist of angle iron in an A type shape. or inverted V .. hehee which ever u prefer then anchored to the bedrock or as i stated before a large hinge rig where i can raise or lower the wheel at any time with a come-a-long or what ever i deside to use.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2010 3:02 PM

Richmond, TX

Most ingenious!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you are just amazing, but when you are lucky enough to live this style of life you have the time to come up with this.

Just incredible....

Janet

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm going to have my DH look at your photos. He may be able to do this also. He knows a bit about motors and such.

Vernon, AL

Way kewl CajuninKy, maybe they'll help yawl some.

And Thank You for the compliment Meadowyck, hehee sometimes i scare myself i dont wanna re-invent the wheel ( so to speak) i just wanna make it work for me.

Elk Grove, CA

You are living the life, and I commend you for your independence! Way to go, American Man!!!!!!!!!!! I admire you!

Detective Abe, RN

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Very neat, and I agree with the kids... way kewl!

Could you post some dimensions and materials? It looks like the spool is plastic? And what did you use to make the buckets? What does PMA stand for?

Now I'm thinking about my creek... though I'd have to come up with a way to channel it and create a drop, and I think I'd need permits.... can't touch water around here without a permit.

I'm sure enjoying following this...
=0) Jay

Vernon, AL

yes the spool is plastic, nylon sorta stuff, im hopeing it'll last alot longer than the wood ones. the paddles are made from 1x4 tounge an grove lumber (cause its what i had around) but plywood would have been better. the lips are from 6 in. pvc sewer pipe. (new of course) LOL the wheel is 3ft. in dia. with 12 padles or buckets.
PMA stands for Permanent Magnet Alternator.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks!
Permanent Magnet Alternator... oh yeah, that was a help... {{snort}} this is the part where I say... the magic happens in here, don't ask me, I just pray to it. LOL

Vernon, AL

Jayryunen
the answer to not disturbing the water is a floating undershot wheel, made exactly like the one im building but, its floated by two pontoons an ancored to the banks with either cable or ropes .. the current will turn the paddles, its not as efficent as an overshot wheel. but it works an its still FREE. requires no dam'n of the creek or distrubing the natural flow of it. something to still think about.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

oh, you just bet your booties I'm thinkin' on it...
how fast does the stream need to run?

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Semper Fi Free booter, and greetings to all.49 retired and not a penny of debt now its my turn to live the way I want.And I will.If not its off the plank for me

Richmond, TX

That's the spirit!

Vernon, AL

yeah i know that feeling well, i havent had a power bill in almost 5 years now nor a water bill. its nice not to depend on "the system" for my needs. if it wasnt for car ins. i'd have no bills at all.

Vernon, AL

Jayryunen
mark off a few yards of creek, toss in something that floats but dont just set on top of the water. an time it from one mark to the other. then do the math.
mine flows about a yard every 5 seconds .. just to give you an idea

Vernon, AL

Grrrrrrrr rain again, few days of beautiful weather, bright sunshine mid 70's then this, i get my blood racing then a blowout causes me to "pitstop" hahaha COME ON SPRINGTIME.
Inside projects again. or maybe just a day of rest, nawwwwww i'll set around and design things today.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Hah! I'm outside today.... neh, neh, neh!
LOL

Vernon, AL

oh dang, thats rubbin it in now ... below the belt shot.... LOL

Cleveland, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey jay,Free ,snowing up here in Cleveland at the moment 9:40pm Come on I`m tapped out on this snow for one winter

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I hear ya EastOfMidnite

we have at least 2 inches and some ice... but at least it isn't sticking to the road not yet.... but if it keeps up don't know what I'll wake up to, the only good thing is tomorrows friday so only one more day to contend with trying to get to work....

come on spring... but there is a guy up here who says we still will have winter (snow) until 4/20..... say it isn't so Ha ha ha

Janet

ps I got three more groups of tomatoes started tonight.... hurrayyyyyy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.