It's February, Have you planted yet?

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has planted anything yet? I am sowing my cold frame this weekend if we don't get more ice. I usually put three lettuces and spinach in my frame. Last year I had fresh salad from the coldframe for Easter.

Stevensville, MD(Zone 7a)

Susan, I started these crops under grow lights on the 13th of January Arugula, Broccoli - 3 types, 7 different types of lettuce and 3 types of Spinach. I have transplanted everything from seed starters to 3" peat pots. I have also started a second crop that includes everything above but also includes Head and Romaine Lettuce, parsley, cilantro and swiss chard. It takes me with harding off about 4 to 5 weeks to get it in the garden. I will be transplanting my 1st crop under hoops over my raised beds on or about the 15th of Feb. I will also under hoops start carrots and beets. My peas go directly into the garden around the 19th of Feb.

Butch

Wow, Butch. I have always wanted to try hoops I havn't venture that way yet. I may next year, can't this year too much going on with selling our house and school and moving and ........

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We've had lettuce all winter out in our garden. We did cover it when we had temps in the teens. It's doing great! Will be planting my onions in the next few days as well as my potatoes.

TX is amazing, I am always so envious when I read posts and see pictures of our TX friends and their gardening calendar and results.

Phoenix, AZ

I've had cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussells, lettuce, mustards && even tomatoes growing all winter. You can't knock Phoenix's winter either! :-)

so when are ya gonna share? :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Quote from meisgreen :
I've had cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussells, lettuce, mustards && even tomatoes growing all winter. You can't knock Phoenix's winter either! :-)

And add to that list:
carrots, chard, bok choy, spinach, thyme, oregano, parsley, cilantro, onions, beets and peas...

I look out over my garden from the window, we received another 4" of snow last night to go on top of the 10" we got on Saturday, and they say another batch coming in on Friday and Saturday. I am so envious of you guys who live in warm climates and can garden year round. All I can do is look at my seedlings under the grow lights and hope that ground hog was wrong.

Phoenix, AZ

Sure, that's right Kelly - tho we already pulled up all the carrots. My daughter can't keep her hands off of them! Hey, I've got some beautiful heads of cauliflower! So far they are about the size of a tangerine. Haven't checked them for a couple of days. And my brocs are still producing. The sugar snap peas were knocked down a few weeks back in that big storma and the stems bent but they're little troopers still producing!

J

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

But Texas also has a very short growing season, once in the spring and once in the fall. You really can't do much during the dead of the summer except okra, green beans, and cowpeas (black-eyed peas).

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Don't feel too bad, fachetint - when you all are having a blast in your nice summer gardens we're hugging the AC units trying not to melt - lol...

steph - I garden year-round, even in the summer with shade clots protection... tomatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peppers, basil, squash, melons, pumpkins...

Never tried Okra (maybe this year?) and got some cowpea seeds from a friend to try this summer as well...

Jeanine - my kiddos love the carrots too, oh, and the peas - hard to get to them for dinner before the kiddos clean me out - lol.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I've got 13 cabbages just heading, and 2 cauliflowers with orange size heads. I have kohlrabi, collards, mustards, turnips, spinach, and lettuce and peas coming up. But, I didn't get my beets and carrots down in time (shoot!). Meisgreen, when did you sow carrots 2 have them done already?
I have 4 types of seed potatoes sprouted for planting in 20-gallon Smart Pots soon as the weather lets up. Finally, I have 50-75 mater seedlings and 25 bell pepps up. Soon as 2nd set of true leaves is up, I'll start stagger planting, starting Feb 27th-Mar 15th.

Looks like Meisgreen, Steph, Kelly, and I are just about on the same schedule. Ya'll let me know what, and when, you're planting next, ok?

Linda ^^_^^ Doing the cabbage dance!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Just heard on the weather tonight that we might have the *s* stuff if some kind of system that's over northern Mexico gets its act together. Ack!!

My potatoes are still in my kitchen growing and my onions are waiting to go in the ground. Now, if would ever stop raining, I might be able to get some things in the ground!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Today I transplanted cabbage, pak choi and lettuce. Rain is coming any minute. This gardening in the mud is getting beyond frustrating. The only things I'm getting fresh are broccoli and kohlrabi. I've got some more cauliflower, onions, lettuce. napa cabbage and herbs to set out whenever it dries out some. My tomato seedlings are coming along nicely and it's very exciting that I've got about 40 new to me varieties.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Twiggy, I hear you on the rain! Every time I have time to get out in the garden, it's raining! I need about 2 weeks with no rain, no high winds, and nothing too cold!

I can only wish it was rain. Another major snow storm is bearing down on us this weekend. Could be 20 inches. I don't have anything in my hoops over my raised beds yet, still hoping to get my seedlings in around the 14th of Feb. so I'm going to lay them down today, just don't want to be replacing PVC and plastic.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Y'all have either run the northern gardeners away from this thread or they have packed their garden tools and are heading south! LOL

I am a Northern Gardener living in NC till August and I am still looking at snow and ice outside and now we may get more this weekend. So much for sowing my coldframes! All I have going is asparagus seed in my greenhouse. sniff-sniff :(

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We have everything from arugula to zucchini growing now. I'm going to try tomatoes this summer in a hoop house with silver shade cloth and a mist cooling system.
We've had over 6 inches of rain in the last 36 hours and it is still raining! The garden is raised beds but the isles look like little lakes!

Phoenix, AZ

That's true - summers are almost worthless for growing anything. And summer's, what, about 5 months out of the year here, Kelly? LOL

And its been a bear to try to keep the tomatoes alive this winter. Green ones all over it but NOTHING as rippened yet. Will I just have green ones to show for all the work? Argh.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Quote from podster :
Y'all have either run the northern gardeners away from this thread or they have packed their garden tools and are heading south! LOL

Ah, shucks...y'all didn't run us off. Just feels a little like pouring salt on a wound to hang out here much. LOL!

I've got lots of seed trays going in the house trying to get a little jump. Several trays of cole crops and 2 of asparagus, plus 1 of herbs, 1 of tomatoes and a couple of flowers. Hope to move the cole crops to the greenhouse (not heated) in 2-3 weeks and the rest by the middle of March. I usually have good luck with seed trays in front of south windows with some sunshine. Unfortunately, ain't no sunshine in these parts lately. Our last average frost day is the middle of April, so can't get too excited about gardening just yet.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Summer in Phoenix? May to October last year - lol... Hottest months are normally June, July and August and into September... I grow all year, though it's a bear sometimes to be out watering at dark-thirty and it's still over 100° out there...

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Quote from msrobin :

I usually have good luck with seed trays in front of south windows with some sunshine. Unfortunately, ain't no sunshine in these parts lately.

Exactly my problem. Everything seems slow to germinate and get going. The established plants seem to just sit there shivering and drowning. When I can get a rare string of 2 or 3 sunny days I can really tell a difference. Unfortunately my forecast for the next 5 days is "partly cloudy and chance of rain"

I move my maters out to my unheated greenhouse when they germinate and they usually stand up straight. Yesterday they were all leaning to the south and I think they were praying. Today has been nothing but rain and gloom so they might even be laying over. I'm not sticking my head out to go see.

Kelly ya'll just keep talking about sun and heat so maybe I can believe there will be some for me.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I sure hope so twiggy. You all in that part of the country have had a wicked crazy winter, that's for sure...

And there's a HUGE storm headed for Florida...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Linda I'd have to agree. I live on the MS/AL border and I just heard that about half the east bound vehicles on I10 have LA tags.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Linda!

I will agree on the lack of sunshine. We are about as boggy as it gets. OTOH, you gardeners up north are wildly successful with things that won't grow down here (like asparagus) and when you are reaping the rewards from your garden, we are burning up.

Gymgirl ~ I thought ~ Hurricane? Surely not! That one sucked me in.

Who Dat? Me?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I grow asparagus not a lot, nobody told me I couldn't. It does fine. I pretty much garden year round the only thing stopping me now is the rain and cold weather. Maybe I'll try rice (hehe).
Lisa

Marquez, TX(Zone 8b)

Rice or cranberries! LOL
I planted Purple Passion asparagus some 15 years ago and it is doing fine. Need to dig it up and divide the crowns.

All right ~ I'm convinced. I will have to prepare an asparagus bed. I love it fresh in springtime.
Lisa ~ do you know what cultivar you are growing?

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 5:45 AM

Oh dennist can you tell me abotu dividing? Have you doen that before? I have 35 crowns, 15 of which are 5 years ols now and I can teel they are getting big. I would like to divide them but have read mixed info on that. Some say do it others say the crowns don't usually survive a division?

I love my gus beds. I am actually moving in August to MA frm NC and want to tak ALL of them with me, so I think I will wait till I dig them up. I tried to dig up the 15 bed to divide it last year and could not even get a pick through the root. They are solid.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The neighbors that live next door to my dad, and lived next door to me for most of my life while I lived at home, planted asparagus many, many years ago. It's still doing well. All I know is that you can't eat it the first year and you have to have both male and female plants. DH wants to grow asparagus....

Marquez, TX(Zone 8b)

Susan. Sorry, don't know the proper method to divide. Will have to do some research. Thats the main reason I keep procrastinating. I'm sure the answer is here on DG somewhere. Someone will probably chime in on this thread.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I grow asperagus here, I think it is Mary Washington.(or close to that name)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have absolutely NO idea what type of asparagus I have I started it years ago. Make sure you put it somewhere permant because once its planted its there for good.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Does the soil need anything special for it to grow well? DH was thinking of making a separate bed for it.

Ok. I've got Wando peas growing out the milk jugs and need to plant. Never planted peas before. I need advice! I'm thinking planting tomorrow!

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.