Large white

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Trying to decide on a white. Large w/ substance...heavy ruffling and flounces to glory like a Gone With The Wind southern belle ball gown.....pure white as I can find.

I have Skating Party out there somewhere amongst the lost tag plants so something besides that one.

South Hamilton, MA

Touching Moments is fairly new. Try at Rocky top when their web site is up. hybridized in MO

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Christmas Ice by Shick

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Fill's Fantasy by Millerd

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Frosted Fantasy by Cadd

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Lady of Leoness by Don Spoon

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Two Below Zero by Millerd

Thumbnail by avmoran
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

How in the world would you tell them apart if you had all three and lost the labels??? I have enough problem with the other colors that are similar.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

This is my lovely San Juan Silver.

Thumbnail by naomimade
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I know...I'm having trouble picking a pure white. I seem to lean towards ones that have yellow shoulders(luminatas?)but I need a pure white but it needs to have size,substance and lots of doodads and geegaws*G*...to make a good showing in the beds.

I really,really need to get cracking this year,moving irises that the trees have grown up and shaded too much to bloom any more. The hard parts going to be id'ing them all again once they do bloom again..especially all the different blues a friend sent me.

South Hamilton, MA

luminatas are quite different. Would a white be all together? Or are they mixed with the blues?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure...I'm leaning towards a Moon garden idea but haven't the slightest idea where I'll plant it.Places irises do well are full and places with room are too shadey or wet in the winter.

Couple years ago I edited out a long bed that went along the front curb,turned and went down 3/4 of the length of the driveway(apx 100 ft)because I was so busy I didn't have time to tend it but now I'm thinking if I keep buying plants (and growing from seeds),I'm going to have to re-install that bed just to have room.

The past 4-5 yrs have been a rollacoaster ride with family problems and I haven't had time for my yard but hopefully starting this year I can get back out there and reclaim it.

South Hamilton, MA

gardening is relaxing with blisters.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I need LOTS of blisters this year....LOL

Raleigh, NC

For huge blooms, I'm fond of both Elizabeth Poldark and Bridal Wreath.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

it's so hard to decide from pictures

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

bigred

That's why it is so great going to regionals or Nation Conventions
:)
A

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I can't go...greenhouse business and I'm the only employee...*sigh*

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Usually regionals have tours on a single day.
Hire mom, brother sister friend, cousin, lady sown the street etc
LOL
A

South Hamilton, MA

Elizabeth Poldark grows very well in our area (friend's garden).

What about 'Mesmerizer'? It's on my wish list.. It has these big 'spoons' instead of beards... very different...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm always leary of SA...spoons,hooks,etc because of past trouble with Sky Hooks....although there are quite a few on my wishlist w/ hooks and spoons....but they'll probably be my last choices.

Raleigh, NC

Mesmerizer is pretty, but, not all that large of bloom.

Just remember, when you want large blooms, the trade off is how many you'll get. There's only so much plant energy. Larger blooms =fewer blooms.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Here's an older white but goody.

Skating Party (Gaulter 1983)

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I know I have Skating Party. Hasn't bloomed for a long time so I'm not sure exactly where it is but know the general area. I think I'm going to dig up my older ones that haven't bloomed in awhile because the trees have gotten so big and throw to much shade for them to bloom and put them in pots until I get some major overhauling done on some beds I've negelected too long.

I

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

We've had Skating Party for about 14 years, and it blooms almost every year if I recall. But, then again, we get very cold winters and lots of sun in the growing season. In July the Monsoon shows up and waters everything very nicely.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

Bigred, what kinds of problems have you had with SA irises? I have only one that blooms regulary right now... 'Hook'

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've tried Sky Hook 3 times. This last time I put it in a pot on a top shelf at the back of the greenhouse w ith others I bought from Dee so it didn't get over watered and it still rotted in the pot.

Speaking of SA's. Does this look like one?

Thumbnail by bigred
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Don't Feel bad Red I have had the same problem with Sky Hook

Have two really good Spaceagers that Grow wonderfully I only Keep them for hybridizing because of the thick Beards

This is Galactic Warrior

Thumbnail by avmoran
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Good to hear not all SA are as picky as SH

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Bigred, I don't know what that iris is, but that is a beautiful photo with the iris and the little yellow flowers!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Happy. Looks like Easter,doesn't it. Yellow flower is coreopsis "Zamphir"

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I didn't realize they were Coreopsis. They do so well up on our mountain and reseed, IF the Goldfinch don't get to them beforehand.

Bakersfield, CA

MY BELOVED

This is a really beautiful white by Joe Ghio.

Thumbnail by Betja
Raleigh, NC

Betja, that is a gorgeous one. wonder if it can take our humidity? Some of Ghio's do so pourly here, but I keep trying them because they are so darn pretty.

Bakersfield, CA

Hi bonjon,
I simply don't know. I'm pretty new at growing iris and am just learning about problems growing them in different parts of the country. I live in Bakersfield which usually has very low humidity, but this picture was taken in Keith Keppel's garden in Salem, Oregon--which I know must have about 90% more than Bakersfield. So maybe... I'm going to order this one this year as soon as I get his catalog.

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Winterfest has gigantic, nicely ruffled flowers. It grows very well here and flowers abundantly.

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia

Hi Bigred, so.. the problems you have is that the beards loose their horns....?

Raleigh, NC

well, Betja, Keith only sells his own introductions, and he carries Blyth's, too, out of Australia. He was probably growing that one for crossing with.

Good news is Ghio is in CA, think it's near San Francisco - Bay View Gardens. He has his own catalogue! you should be able to find an address to write to by googling him. Ghio is actually quite cost effective for his own introductions.

South Hamilton, MA

SA (space age) bearded often have no appendeges in some years, doesn't mean that anything is wrong with the plant, just not the year for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.